Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arin stage 2 not able to pass ny inspection

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      04-16-2012 05:45 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Bpete View Post
      vertualidiot seems more appropriate, so that gives me an A in this class.
      oooh name calling, very origional.
      Go sell your VW and buy a Honda.
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

Vehicles
      2010 DBM GTI
      04-16-2012 08:24 PM #37
      Ib4tl
      2010 DBM MK6 GTI: A bunch of go-fast goodies, and a bunch of stop-fast goodies.

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      04-16-2012 11:20 PM #38
      That's great. I will deal with it. Good luck to everyone else in my situation, as you can see there is really not much help from the manufacturer to work towards a solution. I will remove the POS downpipe and install the factory unit and take it from there. Thanks to everyone who did offer genuine advice.
      I'm not picking sides here but why are you saying its a POS downpipe just because you can't pass NY emissions? It never claimed to be emissions friendly anywhere in its description and it would be up to the user to determine if it will be an issue in their current location.

As the TOS stated, its usage is not verified for use on public roads as is true with almost all aftermarket engine/exhaust modifications. Even springs, sway bars and most suspension mods give the same disclaimer.

these companies are providing solutions for people that want to modify their cars, but they dont make claims anywhere that it will be street legal after doing so.

If you want to keep your mods you should have been prepared to set aside one day to swap a bunch of stock parts back and revert to a saved stock tune for emissions purposes each year if your altering equipment, unless you know someone that would pass you either way.

where in NY are you located btw?
      2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion | Java^Tiggy Photo/Progress Thread

4. 04-17-2012 08:18 AM #39
      I get the tuner thing and the fact that these cars are modified and all the other obvious stuff, what I don't get is why manufacture a product like the down pipe with a cat if it does vertually nothing. If it is just there to say it has a cat and now can pass the visual great. But the cat on APR's down pipe really is not very good at cleaning things up from an emissions stand. APR's 3' down pipe is expensive and I bought it with the hopes it would give me the best chance, that turns out was a naive mistake. Are there any aftermarket down pipes that have better more efficient cat(s) that can come close to what was on the car? I think I know thw answer to that one, and will probably just put the stock cat on and put it in stock mode and get through the process. I guess in the perfect world my tune would have a emissions mode that would in combination with my current hardware get it back to factory specs, pass the test then go back to stage 2 and have fun.

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      04-17-2012 08:51 AM #40
      I get the tuner thing and the fact that these cars are modified and all the other obvious stuff, what I don't get is why manufacture a product like the down pipe with a cat if it does vertually nothing. If it is just there to say it has a cat and now can pass the visual great. But the cat on APR's down pipe really is not very good at cleaning things up from an emissions stand. APR's 3' down pipe is expensive and I bought it with the hopes it would give me the best chance, that turns out was a naive mistake. Are there any aftermarket down pipes that have better more efficient cat(s) that can come close to what was on the car? I think I know thw answer to that one, and will probably just put the stock cat on and put it in stock mode and get through the process. I guess in the perfect world my tune would have a emissions mode that would in combination with my current hardware get it back to factory specs, pass the test then go back to stage 2 and have fun.
      Most high flow Cat's don't do jack to be honest, if anything they get rid of the usual smell that a "de-catted" exhaust gives off. The purpose of a 2.5 or 3" DP replacement is to increase exhaust airflow and reduce the amount of bends/restrictions along the way. If they put a Cat that WAS supposed to do everything the stock one does, it would be pointless to install a larger DP. Its a give and take unfortunately with this stuff.

PM me where in NY you live...i might have a solution depending on your location.
      2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion | Java^Tiggy Photo/Progress Thread

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI 4dr Sunroof/Nav
      04-18-2012 07:30 AM #41
      I am a huge APR fan, for many many years now. I knew flat out living in NY there are emissions issues on the mkvi. There were two options. Get a 3" system like the APR and find my own spacer solution or go with a company that guarantees no cel using their pipe which is AWE. Granted its the cat/spacer combo they use that does it but as long as you follow the install instructions they will work with you to keep the CEL off.

APR makes no such claim, never has. To blame the company when you failed to do your homework isn't right. I had one beef with APR when I thought they didn't have a program that kept both o2 sensor tests active but that was someone working there who didn't know they can work with you on that. Within minutes of posting that thread Arin came in and corrected his employee and had a nontestpipe file ready for my car. Within MINUTES. If that is not some of the best customer service I have ever seen...

Give them a break bro, get the AWE or get a few different types of spacers and figure it out yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. 04-18-2012 08:19 AM #42
      Okay, thanks everyone, I got now.

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      04-18-2012 11:49 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by ViRtUaLheretic View Post
      oooh name calling, very origional.
      Go sell your VW and buy a Honda.
      The Honda would pass !!!!

9. 04-18-2012 12:51 PM #44
      yeah, that is what the other dude suggests as his must of passed