Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: aired out allroad suspension

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat W8 6 speed
      04-06-2012 02:23 AM #1
      Might sound dumb, but anyone here have a pic of an allroad completely aired out? Sounds like enough of them leak air out so figure SOMEONE will have a pic of it. Either that or just a really low allroad on stock air struts. Contemplating getting allroad suspension on my W8 and using an aftermarket tank/compressor/management. Sort of a "bolt-on" air ride kit. But if it doesn't go any lower than I am on coilovers, probably wouldn't be worth it.
      \\_\__\___http://lowdownlabs.com/ ___/__/_//
      Passat W8 Sport 6 speed manual
      BC Racing Coilovers | Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 | Delinte Thunder D7 245 35 19 | COAM
      SpeedTuning USA Stage 2 | B6 S4 calipers | S5 rotors | Stop Tech Pads

2. Member
      Vehicles
      88 Cabby
      04-06-2012 12:27 PM #2
      It most likely won't. I had a picture but I lost it. They don't go very low at all. Like 2 inches lower than stock.
      Low and slow rollin oem fresh

Vehicles
      04-07-2012 12:48 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
      It most likely won't. I had a picture but I lost it. They don't go very low at all. Like 2 inches lower than stock.
      That's what I was beginning to think. I'm like 2.5" lower than stock now, so that'd kind of defeat the purpose.
      BC Racing Coilovers | Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 | Delinte Thunder D7 245 35 19 | COAM

Vehicles
      '99 Passat 1.8t
      04-22-2012 07:54 PM #4

Courtesy of Rotiform.

5. 05-01-2012 04:01 PM #5
      How much money do you think you'd be able to save going with Allroad suspension vs. using aftermarket?

And are you thinking there'd be some install hassle that you'd be able to save yourself vs. going aftermarket?

Just curious what you think you'd benefit by going this way... Interesting thought for sure.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 06:16 PM #6
      Well, a full air ride kit for a 4 motion passat is about $4k, at least $3k of which is in the air-struts for front in rear. A6s use the same suspension as a Passat, so an allroad suspension can bolt in, just needs air lines running to it. People are always tossing their all road suspension for normal coil spring suspensions, and aftermarket replacement bags for an all road can be had relatively inexpensively. So pick up all road suspension for a couple hundred, get replacement bags if need for another few hundred or so, get aftermarket air management setup for under $1k, and for $1500-$2000 you have "OEM" air ride on your 4 motion Passat.

So, just thinking OEM suspension would save some hassle and be a clever way of doing it, as well as finding used OEM suspension is easier than used aftermarket air ride. Only problem is the OEM is a known weak point, but even after upgrading the bags, it will still be less than full aftermarket. The biggest downside is suspension travel, I don't think it'd have the ability to be completely slammed like aftermarket kit would.

Those pictures above, are they stock suspension or coil overs? Anyone know?

7. 05-04-2012 08:57 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by sdavis872 View Post
      Well, a full air ride kit for a 4 motion passat is about $4k, at least $3k of which is in the air-struts for front in rear. A6s use the same suspension as a Passat, so an allroad suspension can bolt in, just needs air lines running to it. People are always tossing their all road suspension for normal coil spring suspensions, and aftermarket replacement bags for an all road can be had relatively inexpensively. So pick up all road suspension for a couple hundred, get replacement bags if need for another few hundred or so, get aftermarket air management setup for under $1k, and for $1500-$2000 you have "OEM" air ride on your 4 motion Passat.

So, just thinking OEM suspension would save some hassle and be a clever way of doing it, as well as finding used OEM suspension is easier than used aftermarket air ride. Only problem is the OEM is a known weak point, but even after upgrading the bags, it will still be less than full aftermarket. The biggest downside is suspension travel, I don't think it'd have the ability to be completely slammed like aftermarket kit would.

Sounds reasonable. There's a part of myself that regrets getting a 2.8 Avant instead of taking the "risk" of owning a turbo car and having a 2.7T allroad. Now I know that I'd have been able to get a drop simply with a VAGCOM on the allroad, and I'm now hearing that the 2.7T's are actually more reliable than I had thought and that there are relatively few turbo failures.

But I can't complain tooo much. I got my 99 A6A for $3,500 (albeit with 187k on the clock). It's been a fun build so far, but it's hard to justify dumping big suspension dollars into a "spare" car that's meant to be a daily! (but I haz the modding disease)

8. Member
      05-10-2012 01:54 AM #8

Those are both using aftermarket air. The s6 has bagyard bags, The allroad has airlift bags as far as I know.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 01:55 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by shadowdglx View Post
      Those are both using aftermarket air. The s6 has bagyard bags, The allroad has airlift bags as far as I know.
      Oh, well that's not helpful, haha. I want to see how low stock all road suspension is. In reality it's probably impractical, but seems like an interesting concept still.

10. Member
      05-10-2012 11:51 AM #10
      Oh, well that's not helpful, haha. I want to see how low stock all road suspension is. In reality it's probably impractical, but seems like an interesting concept still.
      There is a guy with an AR and sport a6 springs and it's pretty dumped. That being said reverse it and I don't believe AR bags on an A6 won't be low really at all.

Vehicles
      2001 allroad 6sp, 98 GTi TDi, Caddy TDi to be
      05-30-2012 08:25 PM #11
      Don't forget that allroad subframes (where the lower suspension arms mount) have a 25mm spacer altering the geometry. You may be able to use A6 uprights.
      Malone tuning services available- Contact Ben at MaloneTuningVA@gmail.com
      http://malonetuning.com

MK4, B5, B5.5 remote window control recoding available and VCDS MK5/6. SKC retrieval, Cluster matching, IMMO programming/delete.