Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I5 2.5L Turbo

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-06-2012 07:00 PM #1
      BLUEWATER PERFORMANCE 2.5L TURBO KIT

So I actually contacted them on this. They said they don't have a kit readily available for the Passat, but would do a custom job no problem... I'm not exactly sure what the upgrade in power would be, but I'm sure it would stomp the 2.0t, not sure about the new tsi's coming out, but, I'm sure with a little tuning, this thing could easily reach around 300hp. Thats actually keeping stock compression.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      04-07-2012 01:25 AM #2
      Just for reference, the 2.5T in the Audi TT-RS makes 360Hp.

But you won't be able to really take advantage at all times of the 300Hp on a FWD car. Also, you may need to do upgrades to the entire drivetrain if you plan on more than the occasional little power squirt.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-07-2012 06:19 PM #3
      360hp is not too much for fwd, at least i wouldn't think so, but i did notice that the TT is rocking the exact same engine, just with the turbo slapped on it, same compression and all, and of course the awd aspect... The passat weighs only about 100 lbs more that the tt, so this could give it quite the perky little upgrade, still waiting for a response as to how much they'll do it for. If all goes well, I guess the rear end off a r36 would potentially fit (finding one on the other had), or for that matter the r32 may line up as well, probably have to have a custom drivetrain tho...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-07-2012 10:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by fiddypassat View Post
      360hp is not too much for fwd, at least i wouldn't think so, but i did notice that the TT is rocking the exact same engine, just with the turbo slapped on it, same compression and all, and of course the awd aspect... The passat weighs only about 100 lbs more that the tt, so this could give it quite the perky little upgrade, still waiting for a response as to how much they'll do it for. If all goes well, I guess the rear end off a r36 would potentially fit (finding one on the other had), or for that matter the r32 may line up as well, probably have to have a custom drivetrain tho...
      Its a different motor all together but mainly its a direct injection head.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE, Sunroof, Nav, Black & Biege
      04-08-2012 04:14 PM #5
      I came to vw first my 09 GLI now my '12
      Passat from an 05 Subaru Wrx. I was very active
      In the Subaru community and on Nasioc
      When I was younger I have a lot of experience in this.
      I can't tell you how many people thought they
      Could beat the system by getting the 2.5 N/A impreza
      And slap on the Wrx or sti turbo because it was the same
      Engine. 1,000's of people. Not the case though at all as
      Everything is differnt. To match stock reliability it would
      Be cheaper and more effective to get a tsi car or v6 passat

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-11-2012 08:12 AM #6
      These guys have a pretty much bolt on kit, and it keeps it fairly stock...

C2Motorsports 2.5l Turbo Kits

As well as a whole write up here regarding a custom build...

How to: Turbo a 2.5 i5 jetta/rabbit on a budget
      Last edited by fiddypassat; 04-11-2012 at 08:51 AM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 05:56 PM #7
      Dude the kits To make it somewhat safe are 3 grand..
      And it's not somewhat stock. All the modifications from the ecu programing,
      Injectors.. Exhaust system to the added stress put on the reaming stock parts.. You could kiss the majority of your warranty away. Turboing a n/a car is a very significant
      Change. It makes Zero sense to buy a brand new car and do that to it.
      They also said the 2999.99 kit was 254 hp.
      The se 3.6 which is about exactly 3 grand more then
      The 2.5 has more power than that.. Full warranty.. More standard
      Equipment.. Dsg vs reg auto.. It's a no brainier. Turboing a 2012 would be totally foolish.

8. Member
      04-18-2012 11:43 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by turboDSG View Post
      I came to vw first my 09 GLI now my '12
      Passat from an 05 Subaru Wrx. I was very active In the Subaru community and on Nasioc When I was younger I have a lot of experience in this. I can't tell you how many people thought they Could beat the system by getting the 2.5 N/A impreza And slap on the Wrx or sti turbo because it was the same Engine. 1,000's of people. Not the case though at all as Everything is differnt. To match stock reliability it would Be cheaper and more effective to get a tsi car or v6 passat
      Subarus are a world apart from VWs in terms of tuning and turbos. I agree completely that putting a home-grown kit on a 2.5 n/a Subaru is a bad idea. I never owned one, but my neighbor has had a couple of STIs as track toys (Cosworth heads, big turbos) and between changing engines with him and trolling on Nasioc I have a reasonable understanding of their flat four.

On the other hand, VW tuners have been highly successful at turboing just about any water-cooled engine since the Callaway Turbosystem was introduced over 30 years ago. There's a lot of highly knowledgable engineers working with decades of past experience making these kits, and if you spend some time researching it you'll find that there's a lot of trust in what's out there; if the installation is done properly an aftermarket VW turbo engine is virtually bulletproof.

I have an '80 Scirocco, bought new that had a Callaway system installed at 300 miles on the car. I swapped out the block for a 1780cc GTI block at 125,000 miles and switched to a ported hydraulic lifter head and balanced internals...but the car has never needed more than routine maintenance.

Dude the kits To make it somewhat safe are 3 grand.. And it's not somewhat stock. All the modifications from the ecu programing, Injectors.. Exhaust system to the added stress put on the reaming stock parts.. You could kiss the majority of your warranty away.
      The VW community has some of the best talent around breaking ecu code and writing n/a and forced induction software. That's why C2, UM and APR are highly regarded. It's much more sophisticated than plugging an overpriced Cobb AccessPort into a Subaru. And before he started United Motorsports, programming genius Jeffrey Atwood was the programmer and a partner at C2. So for the 2.5 I5, it's no big deal.

Turboing a n/a car is a very significantChange. It makes Zero sense to buy a brand new car and do that to it. They also said the 2999.99 kit was 254 hp.
      The se 3.6 which is about exactly 3 grand more then The 2.5 has more power than that.. Full warranty.. More standard Equipment.. Dsg vs reg auto.. It's a no brainier. Turboing a 2012 would be totally foolish.
      The 3.6 isn't available with a manual, and the 2.5 can support something like 325hp before any internals need to be addressed. With internals, 500hp is easy.

People who turbo VWs aren't the kind of Birkenstock wearing cheapos who buy 2.5 Subarus. But for anyone who is on more limited funds, United Motorsports and C2 both offer Short Runner intake manifolds which when installed on an otherwise stock 2.5 will produce 210-220hp (about 190 at the wheels) - more than a GTI - without a turbo. Less than $2000, and probably more fun than a 3.6.

https://bwperformance.com/products/i...ntake-manifold
      Last edited by brian81; 04-18-2012 at 11:45 AM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-18-2012 03:08 PM #9
      Very nicely put, as I have been seriously researching this modification, and was very much along the same lines as you, as I'm assuming you are fairly interested in this procedure. I'm seeing for approximately 3-5k, this car could potentially have a pretty well tuned turbo'd motor... I'm still waiting to hear back from Bluewater tho...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-19-2012 05:53 PM #10
      I completely understand all of the above points and I'm just sharing my personal opinion which I still believe economically is a very sound opinion... There is nothing special enough about this car for 2-5K that makes any sense to buy a brand new 2012 car and start turboing aftermarket.. I'd rather buy an 4 door GTI or GLI or go to another brand before I did such.. It's not Subaru vs VW or anything.. To me the point is there is no point in buying a brand new car and boosting it when there is nothing special that merits it.

If you do decide to do it.. that's fine..best of luck, but I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't bother with such an undertaking. Coming from a 325 CHP WRX and a stage 1 GLI this is my maturing car.. but I couldn't imagine this car having much more power without some substantial suspension wheel and tire upgrades.. add that to the 2-5K and it's even more asinine.

11. Member
      04-19-2012 07:02 PM #11
      Very nicely put, as I have been seriously researching this modification, and was very much along the same lines as you, as I'm assuming you are fairly interested in this procedure. I'm seeing for approximately 3-5k, this car could potentially have a pretty well tuned turbo'd motor... I'm still waiting to hear back from Bluewater tho...
      Been thinking about it but if you can get a manual 2.5 with a sunroof for 2013 I'm tending toward the United Motorsports manifold and their matching software. I've had a 1.8t Passat for a long time (and am very spoiled by the interior) and turbo Mini so am drawn to the n/a tuning as a change. I had a chance to ride in a 2.5 Rabbit when C2 was developing their manifold, and the sound and response of a 2.5 that revs to almost 7500 rpm was very cool. I think for $3k this and a suspension (like an H & R Cup Kit or Eibach ProSystem) and a couple minor things like a shift kit and bigger rear sway bar would make a huge difference. Maybe a Katzkin leather interior also as I'm not a fan of V-Tex, MB Tex, or BMW/Mini Leatherette.

I tend to keep cars a long time, so adding $3-4000 in the right tuning parts is no big deal; I get to enjoy them for a long time, and if you advertise in the right spot some of those parts make it easier to sell and add to the car's value. I've already been offered double the dealer trade offer on my B5, and it's not even for sale yet.

If not it might be an A5 with the APR K04 kit, as I've cancelled my order for a Golf R.
      Last edited by brian81; 04-19-2012 at 07:05 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-19-2012 07:28 PM #12
      you do understand none of these products you list are compatible on a 2012 passat, yes?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-27-2012 10:10 PM #13
      you do understand none of these products you list are compatible on a 2012 passat, yes?
      C2 is probably going to be the one with the SRI for this motor, as they seem to have the most activity on the 2.5l at this moment, but either way, once the availability is there for mk6,

The Jetta engine bay

The Passat engine bay

You can see that this won't be a problem, and will work fairly simply... As far as a ECU mod or such, well, we might be waiting a little longer for that...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 10:51 PM #14
      As far as a ECU mod or such, well, we might be waiting a little longer for that...
      and that's the key, and it's useless without it and I can't see tuners spending much time or money custom tuning for a new big 2.5 family car, especially when it has a big throaty V6 variant.. That would be the one that gets my time and money for performance parts and tuning R&D.

At the end of the day enthusiasts will to have to custom make this stuff if they want it and find a custom tuner because these business are here to make money and it doesn't make 'cents' to to do this stuff to these models of VW which is what I keep trying to say.

GTI, new turbo beetle, GLI, CC, VR6 models.. different story.

It's the same across pretty much all brands.. and the reason is you have to spend way too much, especially on a smaller naturally aspirated engine for small little gains.
      Last edited by turboDSG; 04-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-28-2012 07:34 AM #15
      and that's the key, and it's useless without it and I can't see tuners spending much time or money custom tuning for a new big 2.5 family car, especially when it has a big throaty V6 variant.. That would be the one that gets my time and money for performance parts and tuning R&D.

At the end of the day enthusiasts will to have to custom make this stuff if they want it and find a custom tuner because these business are here to make money and it doesn't make 'cents' to to do this stuff to these models of VW which is what I keep trying to say.

GTI, new turbo beetle, GLI, CC, VR6 models.. different story.

It's the same across pretty much all brands.. and the reason is you have to spend way too much, especially on a smaller naturally aspirated engine for small little gains.
      I don't know, the C2 site offers SRI and boasts that this is completely a bolt on modification, and no need for extra software, or hardware, and Bluewaters doesn't even have a software mod even for there SRI (C2 does offer the software to compliment the addition, but again states it is not NECESSARY for use). So this could still be done, as well as a CAI, exhaust mods, and plenty of little tweaks to squeeze hp hear and there...

2.5L - I5 Short Runner Intake

Also, if you are interested in 2.5l i5 tuning, so is C2, and Bluewater, as they do see great potential in this motor, and are actually working on there mk6 versions of pretty much everything they were using on there mk5 i5's which and i might add there was a v6 available back with the mk5, and well pretty much every line vw has offered...
      Last edited by fiddypassat; 04-28-2012 at 08:03 AM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      04-28-2012 12:37 PM #16
      you are overlooking how the SRI works and my point. Putting any airflow changing mod like that on your car without tuning is totally useless.

Sure you can go bolt that super expensive shinny think in your engine and drive around with it..

The whole point is increasing the redline over 7K, adjusting the timing and fuel, etc.. all stuff you need a specific tune for.

With an SRI like that 90% of the power will be made way up in the rev range where most people daily driving will never get close to. And with no tune most of the potential will never be realized.

And my bigger point from post 1 is.. yes power can be made on these cars or any... But why on this one?? WHy would a large group of people spend several thousand to get more power of a large 2.5 family sedan.. WHen at the end of the day for the same price they could have bought a more powerful car.. were talking new not used cars here, also.

In this whole thread you are talking about big bucks here not a 300 dollar intake. Thousands of dollars in mods on a new car for a turbo.. or the SRI with tuning etc. WHY? for about the same cash as a 2.5 SE passat you can get a non autobahn GLI.. and for a few more hundred make big gains in minutes.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-29-2012 08:30 AM #17
      you are overlooking how the SRI works and my point. Putting any airflow changing mod like that on your car without tuning is totally useless.

Sure you can go bolt that super expensive shinny think in your engine and drive around with it..

The whole point is increasing the redline over 7K, adjusting the timing and fuel, etc.. all stuff you need a specific tune for.

With an SRI like that 90% of the power will be made way up in the rev range where most people daily driving will never get close to. And with no tune most of the potential will never be realized.

And my bigger point from post 1 is.. yes power can be made on these cars or any... But why on this one?? WHy would a large group of people spend several thousand to get more power of a large 2.5 family sedan.. WHen at the end of the day for the same price they could have bought a more powerful car.. were talking new not used cars here, also.

In this whole thread you are talking about big bucks here not a 300 dollar intake. Thousands of dollars in mods on a new car for a turbo.. or the SRI with tuning etc. WHY? for about the same cash as a 2.5 SE passat you can get a non autobahn GLI.. and for a few more hundred make big gains in minutes.
      Agreed, the cheaper route would be the GLI, and you could easily pull 250+hp with just a stage 1 ECU flash, and everything else would still be stock, but it wouldn't be a Passat. I've always been a tuner, from motor swaps to full builds, and I've actually never had a turbo, so the idea of building this on a car that doesn't come with it just interests me. I do get what you are trying to say, but I don't think you are seeing where I'm coming from... Don't you think it would be pretty awesome to see a Passat with over 300hp, that could smoke GLI, and then at the same time still getting the good gas mileage as a 2.5, and you can still take you family to the movies or out to dinner as it is still a family car, and not every freakin Honda on the road will be trying to race you... IDK, I think I just like to do things that are said not to be able to do, maybe just me I guess... I'm definitely not trying to argue with your point, just trying to get my point across as well, and I do apologize if i did come across that way...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2012 12:47 PM #18
      I do see your point as well!! Def not an argument either. The big problem is what you are saying is super easy with 3.6 which is about 280hp for not that much more cash you can have a 300 HP passat that would be an animal. And if you wanted to get crazy like with the 2.5 and add FI to the 3.6, would bordering undriveable with FWD.

I would love to see someone do something big with the 2.5.. The thing is the cost will be sooo crazy it's not applicable to most people and I want something cheap and easy like that cuz I miss me 2.0T ha.

The 2.5 is adequate but I really miss the 2.0T and would love to get another 30HP out of this thing for a few hundred bucks.. not gonna happen though Looks to be thousands.