Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 jetta cutting out while driving

1. 04-06-2012 09:27 PM #1
      2001 jetta with the 2.0 motor. Almost 130k miles on the car. Car is all stock, no mods except a subwoofer (incase this is relevant).

Okay heres whats happening:

While driving, and ocassionally at stop lights, the car will just cut out on me. The lights on the dash will flash as if im "restarting" the system. It does not sputter. Its just like i turned the key off myself...only i didnt. Not really sure whats going on. It used to only happen in the rain. But it happened twice today within about 10 minutes and it wasnt raining.

Anyone got any ideas? I have no lights on the dash while driving. Someone said it could be a relay or a fuse. All help is appreciated

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta 1.8T
      04-07-2012 08:02 PM #2
      Does your spedo/tach meter quit working too? This would indicate your alternator regulator is dying and not charging the battery properly. Take it it Autozone and have them test it for free, or check with a voltmeter (I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think it should be reading about 13-15VDC, and alternate around 30VAC). The problem will probably only get worse as time goes. Good luck and be sure to let us know what solution you find!