Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just paid off my Hyundai, know I can get more money out of it than I put into it - help me buy a new car!

1. Member
      04-07-2012 06:57 AM #1
      I'm wanting to spend less than 3k so I can bank the difference in the sale of my 03 Elantra.

Here are the culprits:
      99 9-3 Turbo
      http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/2939413567.html

82 300sd California Car
      http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2939799523.html

89 900 Turbo
      http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2942612437.html

Or suggest something within 120 miles of Fall River, MA with service records!

2. 04-09-2012 03:44 PM #2
      you want to get rid of an 03 vehicle , for an older vehicle ?

is there a particular reason ?

while the elantra isn't special, it should be more reliable and get better mileage from a car 4 yrs older

Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Sport (m-t) but looking for a new VW!
      04-12-2012 01:49 PM #3
      Unless you plan on walking everywhere you go, why bother getting rid of the Elantra? As it was said, it's not a 'special' car, but it won't break down on you, and it definitely gets better fuel economy.

I fail to see the logic in your reasoning.
      So let me get this straight? Your engine is 1.8-liters, and my pop is 2?

4. Member
      04-14-2012 09:09 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by deagle View Post
      you want to get rid of an 03 vehicle , for an older vehicle?

is there a particular reason?
      I'm learning to be a mechanic, so I actually want something I can work on.

Additionally, I have more cash into the car than I wanted to and the car kind of happened upon me. I know in this market I can basically double my down payment, with which I could buy an entire car, and put the money I spent back in to savings, where I want it.

So, I plan on buying something around the $500-1500 range that needs about $500-1000 in parts and a solid body, and I'm willing to put a few hundred dollars into traveling to get it as well because rust is such an issue around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2000 View Post
      As it was said, it's not a 'special' car, but it won't break down on you, and it definitely gets better fuel economy.
      I feel like, if I spend enough time and energy, I'll find a car that is special, in good shape but needing some new regular maintenance, and will get similar economy.

I've even thought about buying a nearly complete shell and an engine with maintenance records and low miles, and doing a swap.

Yes it means looking around and an investment of time, and sorry for not going into such detail in my first post.

5. 04-14-2012 10:19 PM #5
      FYI in voc. tech mechanic school - where I learned to be a mechanic - there was a rule that you could not work on your own car because it was your ride home.

Believe me I understand the itch to make automotive transactions, but if the hyundai is a known quantity and reliable, I think you should think of what it costs to replace a modern, reliable, paid off, fuel efficient car.

6. Senior Member
      04-15-2012 12:11 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by corrago View Post
      I'm learning to be a mechanic, so I actually want something I can work on.
      With your current car, chances are, you will work on it when you want to.

With your proposed cars, chances are, you will work on it more frequently because you have to.

7. Member
      04-15-2012 06:36 AM #7
      I'd like to add that I'm saving money for the replacement now, and plan to get it on the road before I take this one off.

8. Member
      04-16-2012 06:44 PM #8
      The car's destiny is to be sold for a profit.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat 1.8t, sedan.
      04-21-2012 06:50 PM #9
      Corrago,

With mentioned budget there is no sense to do it. You will pay sales tax, this and that, spend your time and end up with older car with unknown to you history(potential problems, which may cost more to fix, than you'll save).

I would keep your current ride.
      I am looking for a job in Transportation, Logistics, Distribution or International Trade. Analysis, Planning, Operations.