Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 161

    Thread: Autocar: Mazda MX-5 vs Nissan 370Z vs Subaru BRZ

    1. 04-07-2012 02:39 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Would it kill you to just stay out of threads?
      FTFY
      Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mustang driver

      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I was more annoyed with the implication of being a Browns fan.

    2. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      21,990
      04-07-2012 02:49 PM #37
      The Miata in the USA actually has 167hp for the MT models. Only the AT model has the 158hp they list for the Euro version. Considering the Miata took 2nd place in C/D's best handling car of 2011 review, I'm curious to see how they rank it. As a Miata owner myself, the BRZ certainly has my interest, but then again the biggest reason I got the Miata was because it's a convertible, not because of its speed or handling - those were just a bonus of the whole small sports car package.

    3. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,508
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-07-2012 03:05 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      It's a ROW trimline with a 134 hp engine. It's still quicker than the BRZ for the same money, though certainly less practical too.

      A friend of mine has one in Germany and loves it.
      ROW trimline?

      Anyway- it is still quite a bit more expensive than the BRZ, especially if you forgo the "premium" trim in the autocar review.

      http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...e-1.6-/249983/

      You can get a brand new MX-5 for under £20k fwiw.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 04-07-2012 at 03:11 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    4. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,508
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-07-2012 03:10 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      The Miata in the USA actually has 167hp for the MT models. Only the AT model has the 158hp they list for the Euro version. Considering the Miata took 2nd place in C/D's best handling car of 2011 review, I'm curious to see how they rank it. As a Miata owner myself, the BRZ certainly has my interest, but then again the biggest reason I got the Miata was because it's a convertible, not because of its speed or handling - those were just a bonus of the whole small sports car package.
      With Mazda's new high compression "Sky Active" engine tech, it is weird to see that the MX-5 in this test has the lowest compression ration (A sign of the engine's age and intended mainstream application I guess). The BRZ is 12.5 to 1. really?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    5. Member Khyron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2001
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      4,295
      Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      04-07-2012 03:34 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      True. We've seen the specs. This is writer fluff. They do this with just about all new cars. The Z is in a totally different performance class and will blow the BRZ's doors off. As would a Mustang. For $3K more than the BRZ Premium you have M3 performance and ability in the Mustang GT.
      Please post the video/magazine review of the comparison you've done. The Cote d'Azure is a very twisty road with no real straights like you would see in NA.

      Up here the GT starts at 37,300. The FR-S is 25800. I'd imagine in Europe it's even worse.

    6. 04-07-2012 03:38 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      Please post the video/magazine review of the comparison you've done. The Cote d'Azure is a very twisty road with no real straights like you would see in NA.

      Up here the GT starts at 37,300. The FR-S is 25800. I'd imagine in Europe it's even worse.
      The videos I've done are not car related. Request denied.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    7. Member bmann's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 7th, 2001
      Location
      Boulder, CO
      Posts
      2,989
      Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      04-07-2012 03:40 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      I owned a 370Z for a year. It did not feel like driving a tank...for some reason people think 3400lbs is terribly heavy these days, but it's not.
      It is. I have a spot of tight esses and long sweeping turn on my morning commute. An extra 1000 lbs is definitely noticeable.
      Last edited by bmann; 04-07-2012 at 05:19 PM.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

    8. 04-07-2012 03:45 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      The Cote d'Azure is a very twisty road with no real straights like you would see in NA.
      Where can I find this Cote d'Azure road? Is it near the Cote d'Azure?
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      mpls
      Posts
      1,017
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      04-07-2012 04:42 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      Keep in mind that with most comparisons and such with the 350/370Z, it seems like they're remarkably slow relative to what their specs would suggest. Not to say their bad cars, just that they're not really as fast as they would suggest. Back when the 350Z came out, they were losing comparisons to RX-8s (or at least just BARELY winning), when they should technically blow those out of the water.



      Yeah, as much as I like the BRZ/FT86, or at least the idea of it, I could never buy one knowing a Mustang GT is only a couple grand away. Or even the same price if you pick up one thats like a year old. I have the same problem with the 370Z and MX5, actually. Great cars, I just couldn't bring myself to get one knowing that I could have had a Mustang instead.

      But I'm a bit of a Mustang fanboy, so what do I know?

      According to Nissan, the 370z weighs 3,245 lbs, which is hardly heavy for a sports car these days. I am a bit of a 370z nut, and very much want it to be my next car. I've read every single review there is for the car, watched every video review, and have driven the car enough times to get a feel for it. I have not once seen a negative review for the car, or read someone say that it drives slower than its specs suggest. It appears that you are only referencing the 350z, which is unfair because the 370z is a MUCh improved car over its predecessor in almost every imaginable way. I would say that this comparison has the least praise for the 370z in any review that i've read. But one thing I noticed, and a reason why i'm taking this comparison with a grain of salt is that, (unless the European 370z is specced completely differently) he is driving a base 370z but quotes the vehicle as having the specs of the sports package.

      If anything, I think this comparison is a bit silly. The BRZ, 370z, and miata are all excellent cars in their own right, but are cars that are not likely to be cross-shopped because of varying levels of price, performance, and practicality.

    10. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-07-2012 05:06 PM #45
      I'll just put this here:


    11. Member ti.pilot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      921
      Vehicles
      '14 LEAF, '79 MG
      04-07-2012 07:01 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperGroove View Post
      I want this car.

      But I feel that it's a lateral move from my car.

      I'm getting over low torque, awesome handling.

      Don't think wifey will be happy if I come home with a 2+barely2 to replace my current 2+2
      Exactly how I feel about this car but with the added benefit of a bit better gas mileage.
      Currently taking Xanax for range anxiety.

    12. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,534
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      04-07-2012 08:22 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      ROW trimline?

      Anyway- it is still quite a bit more expensive than the BRZ, especially if you forgo the "premium" trim in the autocar review.
      "Rest of World". They don't offer the 1.6 in North America, but I believe it's offered everywhere else.

      I consider 26,500 vs 28,450 pound sterling a moot point - espeically since the Lotus steps up to higher performance and much more technology in the chassis. Autocar must conisider it moot too otherwise they wouldn't have made the comparison.

    13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,508
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-07-2012 08:32 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      "Rest of World". They don't offer the 1.6 in North America, but I believe it's offered everywhere else.
      Oh.. ok.

      I consider 26,500 vs 28,450 pound sterling a moot point - espeically since the Lotus steps up to higher performance and much more technology in the chassis. Autocar must conisider it moot too otherwise they wouldn't have made the comparison.
      Then compare base price to base price. The BRZ starts at 25 grand in the UK.

      And if the difference from 25 to 28.5 grand is nothing, then so it the difference between 28.5 and 32 grand for a better Elise. Why even offer the base 1.6?

      But seriously- the Subaru could be a reasonable daily driver while the Elise is a fun toy.
      And surely the Subaru would be cheaper to own.- tho the Elise resale values are strong.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 04-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    14. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-08-2012 08:35 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      They were reviewing the cars on a twisty road were handling matters more then flat out speed. The BRZ would shine on a road like this while the 370z would feel like it handled like a pig because of the weight.
      Know how I know you've never driven a 370Z?

      I put dad's 370Z through the ringer at one of The Porsche Club of America's advanced driver training days last year. That car is FAST in a slalom and dead flat. I was really impressed with the car.

      Prior to that day if only driven it on the streets and felt the car was slightly uninspired or the VDC was too invasive. Get a 370 out and turn the VDC off. The car is another animal that really hangs it out and shines.

      There is a LOT more to handling than just "curb weight". Chassis dynamics play a huge role and Nissan put a lot of development into properly balancing the car. They got judged for not having a 50/50 weight distribution. What is the point of 50/50 weight distribution when the car is sitting neutral? The moment you accelerate that number changes dramatically. Nissan created a car that is more balanced under braking to avoid sudden load on the front tires.
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 04-08-2012 at 08:41 PM.

    15. Member bmann's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 7th, 2001
      Location
      Boulder, CO
      Posts
      2,989
      Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      04-08-2012 09:43 PM #50
      ^did you see the video posted by Mopho above?
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

    16. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-08-2012 10:08 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
      ^did you see the video posted by Mopho above?
      Yeah, what's your point? Imagine that a RWD 330HP car is a handful on a rain covered slick track with no VDC. Watch the video, standing water and slick in the Z and then almost dry in the Renault.

      I've driven many different sports cars. I regularly drive Porsche 930s. I'm saying the 370 is far from a pig and I've driven it in similar conditions to that video on a track and it wasn't nearly as exaggerated as they made it. I found the car to be fairly predictable if you have any idea how to drive in the wet. I did drifts on a skid-pad and was able to make multiple rotations of the pad with the ass end hung out.

      I would expect a much lighter FWD sports chassis hatch to be more predictable and easier to drive.

      My original reply was merely that the 370 is not the tank many make it out to be. That would be like me calling the Miata a tank because I could be driving a 60s Mini.

    17. Banned 20aeman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2006
      Posts
      9,248
      Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      04-08-2012 10:16 PM #52
      Anyone who thinks an econo tired BRZ will hang with a 370z that's on steamrollers and has a 130hp advantage is on freaking crack.

      The BRZ is a coupe miata. Don't ever compare metrics to another sports car, because more often than not, you'll get embarrassed.

    18. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-08-2012 10:20 PM #53
      I also want to say that if the car under steers when carrying too much speed into a soaking wet corner and the oversteers during hard acceleration out of the corner how is that a surprise?

      I would rather the car have slight understeer on the way in and be controlled and predictable. It's certainly better than a car whose ass end comes around under braking. I find the chassis to be fairly stable and any weight transfer is minimal and predictable. The car stays fairly flat and poised. Again, I'm speaking from actually spending time behind the wheel. Not reading articles.

    19. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-08-2012 10:48 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Know how I know you've never driven a 370Z?

      I put dad's 370Z through the ringer at one of The Porsche Club of America's advanced driver training days last year. That car is FAST in a slalom and dead flat. I was really impressed with the car.

      Prior to that day if only driven it on the streets and felt the car was slightly uninspired or the VDC was too invasive. Get a 370 out and turn the VDC off. The car is another animal that really hangs it out and shines.

      There is a LOT more to handling than just "curb weight". Chassis dynamics play a huge role and Nissan put a lot of development into properly balancing the car. They got judged for not having a 50/50 weight distribution. What is the point of 50/50 weight distribution when the car is sitting neutral? The moment you accelerate that number changes dramatically. Nissan created a car that is more balanced under braking to avoid sudden load on the front tires.

      You kind of prove 50fridge's point as the magazine test was on a twisty road, of course it is going to be a different story on the track


      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Yeah, what's your point? Imagine that a RWD 330HP car is a handful on a rain covered slick track with no VDC. Watch the video, standing water and slick in the Z and then almost dry in the Renault.

      I've driven many different sports cars. I regularly drive Porsche 930s. I'm saying the 370 is far from a pig and I've driven it in similar conditions to that video on a track and it wasn't nearly as exaggerated as they made it. I found the car to be fairly predictable if you have any idea how to drive in the wet. I did drifts on a skid-pad and was able to make multiple rotations of the pad with the ass end hung out.

      I would expect a much lighter FWD sports chassis hatch to be more predictable and easier to drive.

      My original reply was merely that the 370 is not the tank many make it out to be. That would be like me calling the Miata a tank because I could be driving a 60s Mini.

      I also want to say that if the car under steers when carrying too much speed into a soaking wet corner and the oversteers during hard acceleration out of the corner how is that a surprise?

      I would rather the car have slight understeer on the way in and be controlled and predictable. It's certainly better than a car whose ass end comes around under braking. I find the chassis to be fairly stable and any weight transfer is minimal and predictable. The car stays fairly flat and poised. Again, I'm speaking from actually spending time behind the wheel. Not reading articles.

      Are you suggesting that you know better than Mark and Tiff? I used to work with Mark and he is an amazing driver with tons of experience testing for WRC teams, so excuse me if I take his word over yours. They were talking about how it transitions from understeer to oversteer, not the fact that it did it
      And those conditions are perfect for revealing a cars balance or lack there of


      And just to note, I have driven the 370z on both the road and on the track, standard and Nismo too. I like the car and don't have anything really bad to say about other than the motor is a bit thrashy, but I have little doubt a car like the BRZ could hang with it on a mountain road as such a road will not let a Z truly stretch it's legs. Just the same I am sure a Z could hang on a mountain road with cars that are much faster on paper too.
      Last edited by MoPho; 04-08-2012 at 10:56 PM.

    20. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-08-2012 11:30 PM #55
      Never once did I say they were bad drivers. I have huge respect for Mark. I merely took issue with the Z being called overweight which is untrue. I mean making an excuse for a smaller underpowered car by saying "yeah we'll it would be faster around a go cart track" and then quantifying that with saying the car is fighting in the same class is kind of dumb.

      That's like saying a 50hp shifter cart is faster than the BRZ around the track and therefore it's a comparable car or should be respected as equal because it's better at something. It's flawed logic in something that won't be cross shopped and really has no relevance to either car's intended market or audience.

      I myself personally didn't find the Z to be very upset during the corner transitions but to each their own I guess? I also don't find Porsche 930s to be the suicidal death machines that people make them out to be so maybe I'm not as hyper sensitive or analytical as some.

      And I'm not a horsepower hungry guy. My favorite car to drive bar none is my Datsun Z. The thing is harsh in its ride, it reeks of fuel and is slow in acceleration from a dead stop. It will carve corners with the best of them and I am in love with the way it drives and how light it is. But I'm not the type of guy to justify the car against higher powered car and say "oh yeah, well get on a winding road and we will see how well your 400hp Vette does buddy!" because that's totally irrelevant.

    21. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-08-2012 11:39 PM #56
      And with regards to the point of track vs street what is the point of testing a sports car with a highly intrusive VDC system that slows the inside wheel down by applying the brake when you enter a corner slightly too spirited?

      The dynamics of the Z and its suspension setup are excellent but they are masked by a brutally strict nanny to keep every inexperienced Tom dick and Harry from piling themselves into the trees. How could you possibly compare "sports oriented driving" with the system engaged? That's like testing the off-road capabilities of a Jeep Rubicon and leaving it in 2wd with the diffs unlocked and saying a full time AWD vehicle is better, It simply doesn't make sense.

    22. Member ElixXxeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2005
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      6,948
      Vehicles
      2009 E90 M3
      04-08-2012 11:45 PM #57
      And let's also not forget that Tiff (and Vicky) very much likes the 370Z.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyH5ZyuVWbk

    23. 04-08-2012 11:52 PM #58
      From that one side image, the Subaru reminds me of the Aston Martin Vantage. Only in that one view but still...

    24. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-08-2012 11:54 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR View Post
      And let's also not forget that Tiff (and Vicky) very much likes the 370Z.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyH5ZyuVWbk
      Funny how there was no mention of poor cornering characteristics when Renault wasn't paying the advertising budget that day. "the nose points in and it goes" not "oh no! Understeer and snap oversteer!"

    25. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-08-2012 11:55 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      But I'm not the type of guy to justify the car against higher powered car and say "oh yeah, well get on a winding road and we will see how well your 400hp Vette does buddy!" because that's totally irrelevant.

      Why not, a winding road is the real world and most people don't track their cars?

    26. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-08-2012 11:57 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Funny how there was no mention of poor cornering characteristics when Renault wasn't paying the advertising budget that day. "the nose points in and it goes" not "oh no! Understeer and snap oversteer!"

      Right, so perhaps Nissan was paying their advertising budget on this day

    27. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-09-2012 12:03 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
      Right, so perhaps Nissan was paying their advertising budget on this day
      Likely. That was my point i don't put a ton of faith in journalism where there is a strong chance for favoritism or bias. I go out and test drive any cars i'm interested in and form my own opinions. I don't armchair quarter back based on stats and bull****.

      As for your other statement, most people don't actually drive hard on windy roads. Most owners hit freeways and want driveability and style points. If mountain road driving were a common priority there would be a lot more people with Lotus 7's like you have.

    28. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-09-2012 12:10 AM #63
      And correct me f I'm wrong but wasn't the #1 auto cross car in the states within the last couple years an early 70s Camaro with Hotchkiss suspension? So weight isn't everything.

    29. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-09-2012 12:20 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Likely. That was my point i don't put a ton of faith in journalism where there is a strong chance for favoritism or bias. I go out and test drive any cars i'm interested in and form my own opinions. I don't armchair quarter back based on stats and bull****.

      Actually, I was suggesting you are full of crap. I've worked for car mags for years and the idea that the advertising influences the outcome of a test is nonsense. Pretty much ever car company advertises at one point or another, it would be impossible to show bias to keep one happy without pissing the other off.



      As for your other statement, most people don't actually drive hard on windy roads. Most owners hit freeways and want driveability and style points. If mountain road driving were a common priority there would be a lot more people with Lotus 7's like you have.

      Which makes your argument about how the car is on a race track even less relevant.

      Remember, the article we are discussing is a European magazine and they don't have freeways like we do, so discussing what the cars are like on a mountain road is very relevant
      Try driving in a country like Ireland and you'd see where a car like the BRZ would be able to give a "Zed" a run for it's money.
      Last edited by MoPho; 04-09-2012 at 12:25 AM.

    30. Member Klim18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      1,317
      Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      04-09-2012 12:24 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      0-62 MPH in 7.6 seconds..
      It doesn't mean anything, my GTI was advertized 7.2 in 0-60 on the official VW website but I've recorded 6.1 - 6.0 with just myself and 1/5 of tank of gas left.

    31. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-09-2012 12:26 AM #66
      So back to the original reason I even mentioned the track at all in the first place (before you ran off on this tangent) is I was defending against the Z being called a overweight. I couldn't believe someone would consider it overweight. Hence the post I quoted and how this all got started. I said nothing about it being better than the BRZ in that post just merely that the car isn't a fat clumsy P.O.S.

    32. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-09-2012 12:54 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      So back to the original reason I even mentioned the track at all in the first place (before you ran off on this tangent) is I was defending against the Z being called a overweight. I couldn't believe someone would consider it overweight. Hence the post I quoted and how this all got started. I said nothing about it being better than the BRZ in that post just merely that the car isn't a fat clumsy P.O.S.

      Um, you're the one who went on a tangent about how the car behaves on a track and how the video is "incorrect"


      And 50fridge didn't say the car a fat clumsy pig, he was suggesting that on a really tight road the Z would feel like a pig compared to the subaru because of the weight difference, which is in line with what the article was saying

    33. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,922
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-09-2012 12:57 AM #68
      I didn't say incorrect I said exaggerated. The Z was throwing up spray it was so wet and the Renault had a nice dry line to run, I didn't think the conditions were a fair shake. We can agree to disagree.

    34. Member MoPho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles/Lafayette
      Posts
      1,641
      Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-09-2012 01:06 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      I didn't say incorrect I said exaggerated. The Z was throwing up spray it was so wet and the Renault had a nice dry line to run, I didn't think the conditions were a fair shake. We can agree to disagree.
      I don't want to argue anymore, but just to point out that when they film these shows, they are cut together from many different runs around the track, so you can't necessarily judge the conditions by what you see in the video.

    35. Banned 20aeman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2006
      Posts
      9,248
      Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      04-09-2012 01:18 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
      I don't want to argue anymore, but just to point out that when they film these shows, they are cut together from many different runs around the track, so you can't necessarily judge the conditions by what you see in the video.
      So your assumption that the cars were run under similar conditions outweighs his assumptions that the conditions were different?

      The general public's understanding of the BRZ's performance is tenuous at best; hence these ridiculous comparisons.

      Once people familiarize themselves with the car; they'll realize what it's capable of and we can finally (in unison) scoff at the idea of it competing against a 370z.

      Until then, yes, let's pretend that on some magic stretch of public road (where a driver's courage is the usual determinant for how fast a car is); the BRZ is a match for the 370z.

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •