Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bilsteins warranty, will they replace this?

Vehicles
      99.5 Cabrio VR
      04-07-2012 09:28 AM #1
      I have a bilstein sport set, with lowering springs, when I put them back on for spring, one of the rear struts the circlip that stops the strut top from dropping messed up, the ring in the strut wore out so the circlip dropped, so instead of welding it I used the circlip off my stock strut and it didn't last more then a day, then I used a nut off my stock strut which is a different thread pitch and impacted it on, noticed it didn't send the nut all the way down and now my threads are screwed, no fixing them.

Anyone ever delt with bilstein and getting a strut replaced? Pretty sure they are lifetime warranty but who knows if they will fix this.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      04-07-2012 09:33 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by muuurph View Post
      I have a bilstein sport set, with lowering springs, when I put them back on for spring, one of the rear struts the circlip that stops the strut top from dropping messed up, the ring in the strut wore out so the circlip dropped, so instead of welding it I used the circlip off my stock strut and it didn't last more then a day, then I used a nut off my stock strut which is a different thread pitch and impacted it on, noticed it didn't send the nut all the way down and now my threads are screwed, no fixing them.

Anyone ever delt with bilstein and getting a strut replaced? Pretty sure they are lifetime warranty but who knows if they will fix this.

Thanks!
      Probably if you hadn't munged up the threads with the wrong nut.

Vehicles
      Bagged B5.5 1.8T/81 rabbit diesel/tons of B3's
      04-07-2012 09:35 AM #3
      THey are lifetime warranty, but the fact that you crossthreaded the top of the shock bay factor against you. Your best bet is to take it to a local shop that handles Bilstein, and see what they say.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-07-2012 09:46 AM #4
      Seriously? Do you honestly think that after you butcher something in a half-assed attempt to repair it they're just going to hand you a new one?

Man up, admit you botched it and do the job properly next time. Enough of this entitlement isht.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-07-2012 09:47 AM #5
      Their warranty most likely covers any defects. Screwing up their product is not a defect. However, if you ask nicely they may feel sorry for you and send you a replacement.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

6. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-07-2012 09:48 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Seriously? Do you honestly think that after you butcher something in a half-assed attempt to repair it they're just going to hand you a new one?

Man up, admit you botched it and do the job properly next time. Enough of this entitlement isht.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      04-07-2012 10:26 AM #7
      It sounds like you "muurph'd" it.

Suck it up.

Vehicles
      99.5 Cabrio VR
      04-08-2012 08:50 AM #8
      Fixed it Sideshows, ask a question on here that takes a simple reply, get a bunch of f()cks that go way overboard

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      04-08-2012 08:52 AM #9
      Fixed it Sideshows, ask a question on here that takes a simple reply, get a bunch of f()cks that go way overboard
      All the replies seemed pretty straightforward. Y u mad?

Vehicles
      99.5 Cabrio VR
      04-08-2012 09:43 AM #10
      Not mad, happy I don't have to spend 130 bucks.

For future reference you can cut at least 2 inches off the top of the strut and still use it.

11. 04-08-2012 11:04 AM #11
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

12. 04-08-2012 11:21 AM #12
      You fixed it?
      It sounds like you just screwed it up.

then I used a nut off my stock strut which is a different thread pitch and impacted it on, noticed it didn't send the nut all the way down and now my threads are screwed, no fixing them.
      Yep, you screwed up.
      No excuse, you broke it and now want a company to pay for YOUR idiotic 'repair'.

13. 04-08-2012 12:59 PM #13
      if it was a defective part that anyone would've screwed up, then they should stand behind their product and help out...even if its offering a compromise and maybe a discount off a new set

if their customer service is not receptive, check out consumerist.com to send out a EECB

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-08-2012 01:25 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by deagle View Post
      if it was a defective part that anyone would've screwed up, then they should stand behind their product and help out...even if its offering a compromise and maybe a discount off a new set

if their customer service is not receptive, check out consumerist.com to send out a EECB
      There was nothing wrong with the product until the OP ruined it.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      04-08-2012 01:38 PM #15
      A warranty is for manufacturing defects.

They didn't manufacture it wrong. Blaming Bilstein for it is wrong. Blame yourself instead, and just buy a new one, and be more careful next time.

16. 04-09-2012 09:45 AM #16
      Bilstein's lifetime warranty is pretty good in my experience...it also covers a worn out strut, as in my case all I had to do was send it to them for evaluation, if they test it and it is out of spec they will replace it for free. In your case however, their evaluation would most likely result in a denial based on your comments...

jd

17. 04-09-2012 10:33 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      There was nothing wrong with the product until the OP ruined it.

I do not know why people feel they are entitled to free crap when THEY are the ones that break it.
      What are 'parents' teaching their children these days.?

Vehicles
      Don't you know I sold them all...
      04-09-2012 10:40 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      What are 'parents' teaching their children these days.?
      Entitlement > Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Amsterdam087 View Post
      its not your car...

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      04-09-2012 11:43 AM #19
      Why should they replace it? You ruined it. You used the wrong hardware.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-09-2012 12:30 PM #20
      You're the knucklehead that asked if you should have a free one because YOU muuurph'd it up in the first place.

If you asked how to repair it and got the same responses, maybe I could understand. But really, it was a pointless question.

I hope you wheel stays in place for the sake of you and those around you.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-09-2012 12:39 PM #21
      then I used a nut off my stock strut which is a different thread pitch and impacted it on, noticed it didn't send the nut all the way down and now my threads are screwed, no fixing them.
      Sounds like what the shop that worked on my wife's car before I touched it did. I basically took over her car maintenance and when I did the brake job noticed the last person who rotated the wheels cross threaded a lug because they were too lazy and stupid and used an impact wrench to just force it one anyways.

That resulted in a broken wheel bolt and thankfully just a $10 part. As helpful as impact wrenches are, the fact that you needed one to get the thread going should have been a warning in the first place to STOP and evaluate what you were doing.

Although you could send in a warranty claim which I am sure they get plenty of and it will most likely be tossed into the companies internal laugh bin and emailed around the office for a good lunchtime joke.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-09-2012 12:42 PM #22
      No.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      04-09-2012 01:46 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      What is going on in this picture?

24. 04-09-2012 01:49 PM #24
      For future reference you can cut at least 2 inches off the top of the strut and still use it.
      Use it to what? Weight down your garbage can so the wind doesn't blow it over? I don't try to out guess engineers with degrees and cad/cam programs when it comes to suspension pieces in the ton and a half hunk of metal I am riding in.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      04-09-2012 01:54 PM #25
      OP does something dumb, makes a thread asking if his dumbness is covered under warranty, TCL says ''no, your dumbness is not covered''...OP gets mad....LOVE IT!
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      99.5 Cabrio VR
      04-09-2012 08:24 PM #26
      And the rest of you 40 year olds should be spending time with your kids, not wasting time on this thread.

And that's where it should end. It's fixed. End of story.

27. 04-09-2012 08:37 PM #27
      And the rest of you 40 year olds should be spending time with your kids, not wasting time on this thread.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      04-10-2012 08:02 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by JDietz0101 View Post
      Bilstein's lifetime warranty is pretty good in my experience...it also covers a worn out strut, as in my case all I had to do was send it to them for evaluation, if they test it and it is out of spec they will replace it for free. In your case however, their evaluation would most likely result in a denial based on your comments...

jd
      This seems really difficult to collect on for most people. Seems like you will need a place for your car to sit for a couple of weeks while it is apart and you will need to find another car. If you don't do the work yourself wouldn't it be almost impossible (car sitting at shop for weeks and close to impossible to move without putting back together). How did you go about it. I ask because of old Koni FSD's on my car with a lifetime warranty and they are worn out.

29. 04-10-2012 08:23 AM #29

Well, I'm not 40 and don't have kids, so I am still wondering how it is safe to cut a shock.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

30. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-10-2012 08:31 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Use it to what? Weight down your garbage can so the wind doesn't blow it over? I don't try to out guess engineers with degrees and cad/cam programs when it comes to suspension pieces in the ton and a half hunk of metal I am riding in.
      I lol'd

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-10-2012 09:33 AM #31
      Anytime I read a thread like this, I wonder how companies stay in business by NOT warrantying stupid ****. I'm a home builder, we offer the standard HBA one-year new home warranty and you want to know how many service calls we make to houses that are 3, 4, 5, 10 years old and one their 3rd owner? A fark ton.

You might ask why, well, it's why we are the most successful home builder in Cleveland right now. It's why the tough economy hasn't hit us as hard as many other builders in the area. Simply put, customer satisfaction and service are the lifeblood of our business.

Oh, you didn't clean your gutters out with leaves last fall and now you have an ice dam with water leaking in? Well, you were supposed to do that. So what ends up happening? We go out, bust up the ice dam and repair the water damage. Customer's fault, but we do the right thing and keep them happy.

Sometimes, you just have to keep people happy to stay in business. Then again, I'm not a multi billion dollar auto parts business, so I'm sure Billstein could go FU to every warranty claim they have and people would still give them money hand over fist for $450 shocks.

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 10:05 AM #32

You're hilarious!

33. Banned
      04-10-2012 11:41 AM #33
      OP lives in the same area as me...

OP, this you?

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      04-10-2012 01:10 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Anytime I read a thread like this, I wonder how companies stay in business by NOT warrantying stupid ****. I'm a home builder, we offer the standard HBA one-year new home warranty and you want to know how many service calls we make to houses that are 3, 4, 5, 10 years old and one their 3rd owner? A fark ton.

You might ask why, well, it's why we are the most successful home builder in Cleveland right now. It's why the tough economy hasn't hit us as hard as many other builders in the area. Simply put, customer satisfaction and service are the lifeblood of our business.

Oh, you didn't clean your gutters out with leaves last fall and now you have an ice dam with water leaking in? Well, you were supposed to do that. So what ends up happening? We go out, bust up the ice dam and repair the water damage. Customer's fault, but we do the right thing and keep them happy.
      so you go out and do free warranty work on a 10yo house for the 3rd owner and call that staying in business...

doing work for free for people that don't take care of their LOOOOONG out of warranty house is not what I call staying in business.

I'm in the industry as well and pride myself equally on customer service but you are fooling yourself if you think that can sustain a business model unless you are really ripping people off on the front end and I don't think anyone is getting away with that anymore.

as for the OP, they are a clown...

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      04-10-2012 01:25 PM #35

What if someone doesn't have kids or their kids moved out and they just want to guide you idiots along the road of life? Is that ok?

Don't you have a dad or a father figure you met from NAMBLA that could've answered this for you?
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast