Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: vcdlite interface not found help!

1. 04-07-2012 02:32 PM #1
      downloaded the latest vcdlite for my 02 vw jetta 2.0. I got this cable here that I use as com 1.
      Now it says port com 1 is okay but interface not found! key is on everything is connected, have used other "free" obd2 software and get the same thing. Am I missing something? or does this cable not work???

Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen
      04-07-2012 05:13 PM #2
      I suspect it is a bad cable. This is the problem with cheap Chinese cables. Some work and some do not. This is why Ross-Tech does not offer support for 3rd party cables with VCDS-Lite. You either need to buy another cable and hope that this one works, or buy a Ross-Tech cable and use the full VCDS (not Lite).

Have Fun!

Don
      2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI
      Candy White/Anthracite Build date: 01/16/09; Buy date: 02/09/09
      Coveted Three Pedal Version, Big hole in roof
      Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
      2microntech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications

3. 04-07-2012 10:30 PM #3
      oh okay. thanks but do I need to pay like $300 for the software? How much is the full vcd?

4. Member
      In the south, but not the "barefoot and toothless" south.
      Vehicles
      2004 VWs
      04-07-2012 11:56 PM #4
      We have 2 different interfaces that will work with your 2002 Jetta, the KII-USB and the HEX-USB+CAN.

The KII-USB only works on K-Line diagnostic systems as found in your 2002 Jetta. This interface is $250.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

The HEX-USB+CAN also works on the K-Line diagnostic system as well as the current CAN Gateway found in modern VW / Audi vehicles. VW / Audi switched from K-Line to CAN Gateway starting in 2004 with the A8L and 2005.5 with the mk5 Jetta. This interface is $349.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

Those prices does include the full version of VCDS. Both interfaces use the same software and will give you the same results on your car. So if only need to work on your 2002 Jetta (or any 2005 and older Volkswagen), then the KII-USB at $249 will be just fine.

Thank you.
      Jef blah blah blah
      http://www.ross-tech.com
      071, 070, 034, 036, 046, 077

5. 04-08-2012 11:12 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jef@rosstech View Post
      We have 2 different interfaces that will work with your 2002 Jetta, the KII-USB and the HEX-USB+CAN.

The KII-USB only works on K-Line diagnostic systems as found in your 2002 Jetta. This interface is $250.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

The HEX-USB+CAN also works on the K-Line diagnostic system as well as the current CAN Gateway found in modern VW / Audi vehicles. VW / Audi switched from K-Line to CAN Gateway starting in 2004 with the A8L and 2005.5 with the mk5 Jetta. This interface is $349.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

Those prices does include the full version of VCDS. Both interfaces use the same software and will give you the same results on your car. So if only need to work on your 2002 Jetta (or any 2005 and older Volkswagen), then the KII-USB at $249 will be just fine.

Thank you.
      Thanks for the information. The second option works for both audi and vw's correct? Now would this also work on toyotas and other manufacturers also? If i were to plug obd connector to let say toyota corolla would I get any readinga?

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 02:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by deziking View Post
      Thanks for the information. The second option works for both audi and vw's correct? Now would this also work on toyotas and other manufacturers also? If i were to plug obd connector to let say toyota corolla would I get any readinga?
      Both interfaces will work on VWs and Audis. The difference is in what communications protocols are supported. This means which year VW/Audi cars are supported. Ross-Tech makes 2 interfaces that do only one protocol for $249. One supports only older cars and the other supports only newer cars. The $349 HEX+CAN version supports both older and newer cars. This chart details which interface works with which cars.

http://download.ross-tech.com/VCDS/d...lityCharts.pdf

As for the Toyota, it really depends on the model year and the communications protocol used. VCDS does have a generic ODBII mode, but this is not what it was designed to do. It is designed for VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) cars. It does somewhat work with some (mostly newer) other cars, but this is not guaranteed or officially supported. Here's more info on the generic ODBII mode and the protocols supported. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

Have Fun!

Don
      Last edited by JSWTDI09; 04-08-2012 at 02:57 PM.

7. 04-18-2012 11:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
      Both interfaces will work on VWs and Audis. The difference is in what communications protocols are supported. This means which year VW/Audi cars are supported. Ross-Tech makes 2 interfaces that do only one protocol for $249. One supports only older cars and the other supports only newer cars. The $349 HEX+CAN version supports both older and newer cars. This chart details which interface works with which cars.

http://download.ross-tech.com/VCDS/d...lityCharts.pdf

As for the Toyota, it really depends on the model year and the communications protocol used. VCDS does have a generic ODBII mode, but this is not what it was designed to do. It is designed for VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) cars. It does somewhat work with some (mostly newer) other cars, but this is not guaranteed or officially supported. Here's more info on the generic ODBII mode and the protocols supported. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

Have Fun!

Don

So what's the difference between vag-com $350 to this one which is over $1k ?

I know this is able to do all the vehicles out there but what makes ur software different from this one?? http://www.maxidas.com/

edit : also this one http://www.auto-snap.com/index.php/p...ll%20Set).html
      Last edited by turbine1986; 04-18-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Vehicles
      04-19-2012 03:03 AM #8
      So what's the difference between vag-com $350 to this one which is over $1k ?

I know this is able to do all the vehicles out there but what makes ur software different from this one?? http://www.maxidas.com/

edit : also this one http://www.auto-snap.com/index.php/product/GD860%20(Full%20Set).html
      Those units are OBDII scanners. They will work on any car that supports OBDII, but they will only read and clear standard OBDII PIDs. Standard OBDII PIDs really only support engine and emissions related faults. VW has many proprietary controllers and possible fault codes. This proprietary VW information will only be displayed by a VW specific scan tool. Also only a VW specific scan tool can change control module coding to enable features that were not included in your car from the factory.

The downside to VCDS (compared to the above links) is that VCDS requires a Windows computer to run the program and display the results. The up side is that it is a dealer level scan tool that will do tricks that even the VW dealer's scan tool won't do (like data logging), plus it is much easier to use than the dealer's scan tool.

In the end, the choice is yours. However, do the makers of those scanners offer support after the sale? This forum (and others) allow you to get almost unlimited after-the-sale support direct from the company and the author of the program. I have even received email support from the owner of the company on a Sunday afternoon. I know of no other scanner company that will provide this kind of support.

Have Fun!

Don

9. 04-19-2012 03:15 PM #9
      Those units are OBDII scanners. They will work on any car that supports OBDII, but they will only read and clear standard OBDII PIDs. Standard OBDII PIDs really only support engine and emissions related faults. VW has many proprietary controllers and possible fault codes. This proprietary VW information will only be displayed by a VW specific scan tool. Also only a VW specific scan tool can change control module coding to enable features that were not included in your car from the factory.

The downside to VCDS (compared to the above links) is that VCDS requires a Windows computer to run the program and display the results. The up side is that it is a dealer level scan tool that will do tricks that even the VW dealer's scan tool won't do (like data logging), plus it is much easier to use than the dealer's scan tool.

In the end, the choice is yours. However, do the makers of those scanners offer support after the sale? This forum (and others) allow you to get almost unlimited after-the-sale support direct from the company and the author of the program. I have even received email support from the owner of the company on a Sunday afternoon. I know of no other scanner company that will provide this kind of support.

Have Fun!

Don
      wow thanks don for the info. I didn't really think about that unlimited support for those scanners.

10. Member
      In the south, but not the "barefoot and toothless" south.
      Vehicles
      2004 VWs
      04-19-2012 03:59 PM #10
      The downside to VCDS (compared to the above links) is that VCDS requires a Windows computer to run the program and display the results.
      We view this an a good thing. By not using some sort of customer proprietary computer, cost are kept way down. If a proprietary device fails for some reason, how much is it going to cost to repair or replace it? With VCDS, if the Windows based computer fails, you can get a replacement computer for under $300 that will run VCDS just fine.

Another thing about tools like that from Snap On, the software updates are cost more than what our Pro-Kits cost.

Now to be fair, a tool like that from Snap On most likely does have way better support for vehicles outside of the VAG family of vehicles.... BMW or Honda for example. VCDS, at best may get generic OBDII support from other non VAG vehicles. We added an OBDII feature years ago, if it works on a BMW, great, we don't charge extra for it. If it doesn't work on a BMW... well, what did you expect, the tool is made for VAG vehicles.
      Jef blah blah blah
      http://www.ross-tech.com
      071, 070, 034, 036, 046, 077

11. 04-19-2012 05:07 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by jef@rosstech View Post
      We view this an a good thing. By not using some sort of customer proprietary computer, cost are kept way down. If a proprietary device fails for some reason, how much is it going to cost to repair or replace it? With VCDS, if the Windows based computer fails, you can get a replacement computer for under $300 that will run VCDS just fine.

Another thing about tools like that from Snap On, the software updates are cost more than what our Pro-Kits cost.

Now to be fair, a tool like that from Snap On most likely does have way better support for vehicles outside of the VAG family of vehicles.... BMW or Honda for example. VCDS, at best may get generic OBDII support from other non VAG vehicles. We added an OBDII feature years ago, if it works on a BMW, great, we don't charge extra for it. If it doesn't work on a BMW... well, what did you expect, the tool is made for VAG vehicles.
      Getting me all excited on my next purchase, I think I'm ganna be getting the $349 package . Does that come with the full vag software?

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 02:57 AM #12
      Getting me all excited on my next purchase, I think I'm ganna be getting the $349 package . Does that come with the full vag software?
      Yes. It not only comes with the full VCDS software but it comes with all future updates to the software as well. The software is a free download. The license is in the interface cable. Whenever Ross-Tech releases a new version (usually several time per year), you just download it and install it. As soon as it sees your interface cable, it is unlocked and is fully functional.

Have Fun!

Don

13. 04-21-2012 09:22 PM #13
      Yes. It not only comes with the full VCDS software but it comes with all future updates to the software as well. The software is a free download. The license is in the interface cable. Whenever Ross-Tech releases a new version (usually several time per year), you just download it and install it. As soon as it sees your interface cable, it is unlocked and is fully functional.

Have Fun!

Don
      VCHUC VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface 1 $349.00 $349.00
      USBEC USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable, 16' (5m) 1 $35.00 $35.00

Thank you for your order. Please make a note of your order number. You will also receive a confirmation via e-mail shortly.

Can't wait.