VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Top fuel efficient classics. (Hagerty Source)

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Biff Beltsander 
#1 ·
#10 ·
I had no idea the Nash did that well. :cool:

Its powered by a B series motor, the 1500cc that is in the MGA. The Nash is small and relatively light with maybe 90 hp so that will make for good mileage.

I love old cars and will probably never own another 'new' car in my life but the good mpg is kind of a false economy. They might make a few more mpg but theyre down on the safety factor.

AZGolf- A Midget should be able to 70 mph easy. If its only 50 mph, theres something wrong.

#3 ·
Off the list, if cost were no object, we’d probably look for a slightly scruffy but mechanically sound Porsche 356 sunroof coupe. The combination of reliability and practicality is hard to beat at about 30 mpg.
:thumbup::thumbup:
Buy a solid 356 coupe in the upper 20's to mid 30's, get it sorted, and enjoy a fuel efficient car that'll only appreciate in value. Speaking of which, I'm going to go out in mine right now.

#4 ·
My old roommate from 10 years ago had an MG Midget. The only way you're getting that fuel economy is by driving slowly. Then again, his had a top speed of approximately 50mph even after replacing the whole fuel system, carb, and intake manifold. The guy he sold it to didn't even make it from Phoenix to Tucson on the highway without having to call a tow truck because it overheated due to inability to maintain highway speed. Oh, and that was also even after he did an overhaul of the cooling system! Bottom line - classic cars cannot be directly compared to modern cars, but I appreciate the effort they made.

#5 ·
The Henry J Standard deserves an honorable mention.
The 68 hp I-4 was very efficient.

(tho a trunk opening was optional, so they can be rather awkward to use for normal grocery getting)

#7 ·
Yeah.
A friend snatched up an original 66 i-6 3 on tree Mustang in great shape about ten years ago.
The old guy selling it sold it to him for just $3k because he was going to drive it as is- and everybody else wanted to buy it and drop in a 302 (make it a hot rod).
He said it got very good fuel economy, but was also very slow and would run hot in bad traffic.

Note some people can get 35 mpg in the four banger Henry J.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2008/05/25/sia-flashback-henry-j-vs-maverick/

#17 ·
Not that number one was much more substantial.

I love how the ad says "Sport car" singular, as in there was only one sport and it was probably some sort of soap box derby or other downhill go cart momentum powered race.

Also, "Hot Shot" is a pretty cool name.

Before there's too much complaining about how modern cars are too heavy, a lot of that weight is safety related with stronger frames, airbags, advanced breaks, and more. I'm not thinking many people are going to lie in a hospital bed saying "at least I saved some gas money".
That said, my first car was light, efficient, and probably similarly safe to the Hot Shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.