Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2012 Tiguan rear view mirror replacement

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan S
      04-07-2012 02:18 PM #1
      Hi. I have 2012 Tiguan, and I want to replace the rear view mirror. I have got the base off, and need any tips, ticks or advice on how to get the base plate off (if that is even possible). Please advise.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      04-07-2012 03:22 PM #2
      Need more details such as; what trim (S SE SEL)? Why would you want to change it? What are you trying to accomplish? Etc...
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan S
      04-07-2012 03:25 PM #3
      Sorry. I have a S model. I am trying to add an aftermarket auto-dimming mirror.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      04-07-2012 04:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by aquarian74 View Post
      Sorry. I have a S model. I am trying to add an aftermarket auto-dimming mirror.
      Got it. I'd suggest looking into a Gentex, they make a variety of different mirrors with auto dimming, compass, rear view cam, navi, etc... They are also THE company that makes our original mirrors. You would also need to tap into your overhead console or to run a wire to a fuse box for power. Sorry I have SEL so I don't know what your set up is like. I think it should be similar to this: http://forums.motivemag.com/showthread.php?4404017

Good Luck!
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan S
      04-07-2012 04:16 PM #5
      I am replacing it with a Gentex. Thanks for the info..the link was helpful.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Tiguan SE 4Mo
      04-07-2012 09:20 PM #6
      It might be more work than you think...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ght=windshield
      2011 Tiguan SE 4Motion - Black/Black, Triptronic
      APR Stage 2 CAI, APR Stage 1 ECU
      20" MSW Type 12/Hankook Evo V12 - 17" Los Angeles/Continental WinterContact
      The best damn VW shop in the northwest: HM Motorsports

Vehicles
      2012 VW Tiguan S
      04-08-2012 01:35 PM #7
      I just got an S and want to do the same thing. But, I want it for the built-in garage door opener. I had one in my other car and do miss it in my Tig.

The sales rep at the dealer keeps telling me there's a local place where they'll install it but has yet to give me the name/number.

Can you use any model Gentex? I've seen them on Amazon to my surprise but not sure if any model will work. I suppose it would, you just need the right wiring kit for it?

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan S
      04-08-2012 04:55 PM #8
      I found out that there is no need to remove the black disk. There is an aftermarket kit that has an adapter to fit right on top of that disk. After all that frustration, I was given a cheap .50 cent looking piece of metal to go over it, and it was the easy rear view mirror install I have ever done. It truly was priceless. Not only do I recommed it, but it is pretty much the only way do the whole mirror install in under a minute. LITERALLY!!

I will apologize bcos it was all a gift, and I do not know where it came from online. I do know that they have it, so get yourself one, and save the migraine headache.