Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mk3 fog

Vehicles
      1987 Honda CRX(dead), mk3 jetta
      04-07-2012 03:38 PM #1
      I'm looking for a set of foglights for my Mk3 Jetta. Prefferabpy in the Edmonton area. Anybody with anything msg it back!! Also any suggestions with what I can do with those lights. Any ideas!?

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta GLS
      04-07-2012 06:14 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by noobmk3 View Post
      I'm looking for a set of foglights for my Mk3 Jetta. Prefferabpy in the Edmonton area. Anybody with anything msg it back!! Also any suggestions with what I can do with those lights. Any ideas!?
      You should post this in the classifieds section of this forum. Good luck with your search.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1998 VW Golf MK3 GTI VR6
      04-07-2012 07:40 PM #3
      If your willing to come to Calgary, go to Concept-1 you can score a new set of projector fogs for 140$ with bulbs, if you don't have you are looking at a 160$ total for fogs and lights

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      04-08-2012 05:35 PM #4
      ! Also any suggestions with what I can do with those lights. Any ideas!?
      Um, turn them on in heavy fog or snow?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta, 06 Jetta(current), 02 Passat, 94 Golf, 05 Jetta, 95 Jetta, 86 Golf Wolfsburg
      04-08-2012 06:03 PM #5
      look at the canadian classifieds

these are OEM fog lights that fit directly in your bumper

you can joey mod them like these

or french them like this

or frenched and joey modded like this

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      04-08-2012 09:21 PM #6
      For a OEM fog set up you'll need:
      The headlight harness in single chamber (Jetta, or Golf) or dual chamber ( GTI, some golfs) easiest way to tell is if you have 1 headlight bulb or 2.
      The Fog lights
      #110 relay
      15 amp blue fuse
      Both of those ^ go in spot 10 on the fuse box. I'll link you a picture of the MK3 fuse box.
      Headlight switch with Fog option.

...That's all.

7. 04-11-2012 09:44 PM #7
      Just purchased the headlight switch with fog option. Do you know of a source to buy the wiring harness from?

I am a complete nube (just purchased mk3 yesterday)!

Thanks guys!

8. 04-11-2012 09:49 PM #8
      I got the oem fory mk3. So i got to cut the bot hook so it can fit

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 10:16 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by treverd View Post
      Just purchased the headlight switch with fog option. Do you know of a source to buy the wiring harness from?
      I'm not aware of any specific wiring harnesses available, though there may be some.

But be aware that you don't have to run the wiring through a relay and fuse on the fuse panel under the driver's side dashboard. That's the way the stock fog lights were wired on the GLX, but it's kind of tough to get at the fuse panel and do the wiring there.

What I did on our '97 Jetta GLS (rather, had the VW dealership do back in 1996) was to install a separate wiring harness with relay and fuse. It's controlled by the Euro switch as usual, but the wiring runs straight out to the engine compartment where the relay, fuse, and secondary circuit controlling the lights are all located.

You may be able to find "universal" harnesses that will do that, which will make the wiring much, much easier. Or get one of the Mk5 aftermarket harnesses from ECS Tuning that are meant for the "non-CECM method" on Mk5's, like this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Lights/ES7713/

All you'd have to do is get the appropriate foglight connectors and terminal pin for the light switch from your VW dealer, and splice them onto the ends of the wires.

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      95 Golf CL, 95 Vento GL
      04-13-2012 04:47 AM #10
      Another noob here. Instead of starting a new thread about this I thought I'd just nudge in... I want to fit fog lights in my Vento. My switch already has the pull-out knob for the rear fog. Is a different switch required for front fogs? ... also how do you go about attaching them to the bumper, I can see where the screw holes would line up but do I need clips or something?

11. 04-13-2012 06:40 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Marek K View Post
      I'm not aware of any specific wiring harnesses available, though there may be some.

But be aware that you don't have to run the wiring through a relay and fuse on the fuse panel under the driver's side dashboard. That's the way the stock fog lights were wired on the GLX, but it's kind of tough to get at the fuse panel and do the wiring there.

What I did on our '97 Jetta GLS (rather, had the VW dealership do back in 1996) was to install a separate wiring harness with relay and fuse. It's controlled by the Euro switch as usual, but the wiring runs straight out to the engine compartment where the relay, fuse, and secondary circuit controlling the lights are all located.

You may be able to find "universal" harnesses that will do that, which will make the wiring much, much easier. Or get one of the Mk5 aftermarket harnesses from ECS Tuning that are meant for the "non-CECM method" on Mk5's, like this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Lights/ES7713/

All you'd have to do is get the appropriate foglight connectors and terminal pin for the light switch from your VW dealer, and splice them onto the ends of the wires.
      I would avoid that dealer then, as they had no idea how to do dealer add ons.

Because to retrofit Factory fogs, only requires touching the headlight harness wiring wise. ALL the other wiring is there from the factory. Run grounds from fogs to the headlight harness connector, power from fogs to the headlight harness connector, pop a 110 relay in the fuseblock, and pop in a fog switch and you are done.

There is/was even a factory add on harness exactly for this. Its a 1hr job, if that.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2012 09:25 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      I would avoid that dealer then, as they had no idea how to do dealer add ons. [...] ALL the other wiring is there from the factory.
      Well, that was over 15 years ago, when we were buying the car new. Dealer's long gone.

I'll take a look this weekend, but I've never seen any fog light wiring harness there. And I'm fairly sure a fog light wire had to be added from the switch's NL terminal, but I'll look at that too.

I do concur, though, that the dealer wasn't real knowledgeable. When buying the car, I asked them to dealer-install "the same bumper-mounted fog lights that are on the GLX." Dealer: "Oh, yes, sir, we know exactly what you mean. We can do that."

When I picked up the car, they'd hung generic aftermarket fog lights from the bottom of the bumper. After cutting away two of the vertical ribs in the lower grille to make room.

Jeez. I told them to take those off, and had to go to their ETKA to show them the fog lights and parts I needed. They finally got it done, selling me the parts at cost. I didn't insist on them replacing the lower grille.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2012 09:33 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by shooitt View Post
      Another noob here. Instead of starting a new thread about this I thought I'd just nudge in... I want to fit fog lights in my Vento. My switch already has the pull-out knob for the rear fog. Is a different switch required for front fogs? ... also how do you go about attaching them to the bumper, I can see where the screw holes would line up but do I need clips or something?
      Where are you located? I assume in Europe with a Vento? That's important.

Yes, a different switch will be required. Your switch only controls your rear fog light, and EU regulations require that front fog light be controlled separately.

The fog lights mount to the holes you see in the bumper using what we call speed nuts:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...art-45406.html

The speed nuts are clipped over the holes, and the fog lights are secured with screws that thread through the holes in the speed nuts.

Note that fog lights made for North American mk3's won't fit into a European bumper without some modification.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta, 06 Jetta(current), 02 Passat, 94 Golf, 05 Jetta, 95 Jetta, 86 Golf Wolfsburg
      04-13-2012 09:52 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Marek K View Post
      Where are you located? I assume in Europe with a Vento? That's important.
      i think hes from Australia, i believe its the same thing as EU vento

15. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2012 09:57 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by PG MK5 View Post
      i think hes from Australia, i believe its the same thing as EU vento
      Nothing in his profile. Yeah... good English, but uses the phrase "nudge in"... Is that Aussie?

I assume it's a right-hand-drive Vento in that case... Have they required rear fog lights, like the Europeans?
      Last edited by Marek K; 04-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.