Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Father, 9 year old daughter dead after speeding teen in Escalade mows them down.

Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta
      04-08-2012 12:48 AM #51
      The ****?
      Quote Originally Posted by TrillyPop View Post
      The 2.5L forum is full of high hopes and huge disappointment.
      MKV Rabbit Dyno Thread
      MKIII Cabrio Build Thread

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      04-08-2012 02:01 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by AggvGtivr6 View Post
      Maybe they were trying avoid a cyclist who was taking up an entire lane and then lost control of the suv
      You think that ANYONE (especially with children) would dare ride in that street?

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      04-08-2012 02:05 AM #53
      This should clear some stuff up.

Vehicles
      LHD Mk3 & RHD Mk3.5
      04-08-2012 05:09 AM #54
      ^^^ Well now that we know the victims were of Middle Eastern descent and possibly muslims, I wonder how many people here will change their opinions on what occurred. It's a shame 2 people had to lose their souls , but the document states that the driver will be charged with vehicular manslaughter and that's all it is unfortunately. Unless someone can prove that he intentionally steered the truck to plow into them, there was no intent to murder.

5. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-08-2012 06:12 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by aoj2108 View Post
      ^^^ Well now that we know the victims were of Middle Eastern descent and possibly muslims, I wonder how many people here will change their opinions on what occurred. It's a shame 2 people had to lose their souls , but the document states that the driver will be charged with vehicular manslaughter and that's all it is unfortunately. Unless someone can prove that he intentionally steered the truck to plow into them, there was no intent to murder.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-08-2012 07:09 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      The loved ones left behind will spend the rest of their lives dying.
      Tell me - I lost two children.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      this may come off as cruel, but if i took my 9 year old for a bike ride through a busily trafficked intersection, i would probably be stopped, harassed, and ticketed. i would never take someone else's kid on such a trip.
      This is a very suburban neighborhood - the street just happens to be one of two with a lot of traffic accommodating even farther suburban neighborhoods. There are at least three schools immediately adjacent to the intersection, and parks and walking/bicycling trails. The speed limit would be 35 if not for the massive amount of traffic going through. Also, the street is perfectly straight, with very good visibility.

To boot, from what I read, they were riding on the very wide side-walk.

...although it's unlikely anyone need excuse the driver no matter the circumstances, i'm curious how much heavier the hatred/rush to judgement is b/c of the sclade. if it was a prius, would the reaction be quite so vitriolic?
      I agree. Because of their weight and lack of protection against pedestrians/ bicyclists, I strongly believe that (non-CUV) SUVs should not be driven by anyone with fewer than five years of driving experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Weird to have such a high speed limit in that kind of zone
      As I said above, it is because of the sheer throughput of traffic during rush-hour (not the case, here, though).

Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Also, that bit of road has a 45mph speed limit and it's three lanes, with lots of turn-ins and the like. Probably not a very comfortable place to drive even for a skilled driver.
      It's a perfectly straight road with very good visibility. 45 is the max, and during non-rush-hour, many people drive more slowly than that, because it is a 100% residential neighborhood with lots of pedestrian and bicycle usage.

the more i look at those pictures, the more i think my nine year old would have to be tony hawk before i'd trust him riding a bike in that environment. 45? i'd almost rather he ride on the side of the road in a 25 than on the sidewalk on a four lane 45. scary.
      If you are on the sidewalk, you'd feel perfectly safe. It's a straight road with many stop lights. I almost bought a house there a couple of minutes away, several years ago.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-08-2012 07:39 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by AggvGtivr6 View Post
      might have been a female driver...

Seriously, don't start that ****. There's a dead dad and 9 year old child. Grow up or shut the F up.

Loser.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      Shaved MK3 VR
      04-08-2012 08:06 AM #58

9. Member
      04-08-2012 08:27 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Seriously, don't start that ****. There's a dead dad and 9 year old child. Grow up or shut the F up.

Loser.
      Thank you!

10. 04-08-2012 10:08 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Horror Business View Post
      Tony Hawk rides a skateboard. Just letting you know.

I think he has been riding bikes for over 25 years.

Vehicles
      2015 Autobahn GTI
      04-08-2012 10:38 AM #61
      Absolutely sickening.

RIP to the father and the daughter.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      04-08-2012 10:44 AM #62
      @ FeelsRoad, I'm not sure how you lost your children but I'm sorry.

And secondly, we should have an East Bay TCL meet someday.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda Fit Sport
      04-08-2012 10:59 AM #63
      The driver was arrested for vehicular manslaughter, but he is only 17 years old. I guess the question now is will they try him as an adult or a juvenile?

I wonder what the difference in sentencing would be between the two?

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      04-08-2012 11:07 AM #64
      my heart goes out to that family...
      Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      04-08-2012 11:11 AM #65
      does the escalade meat that european pedestrian collision safety rating thing?
      Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

16. 04-08-2012 11:22 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      Doubtful.

17. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-08-2012 11:26 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      Are we in Europe?

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-08-2012 11:31 AM #68
      Now it's been established that the persons killed were on the sidewalk. Can we stop blaming them now, simply because they were on bicycles? Care to make any more excuses for the driver?
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

19. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-08-2012 11:39 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
      Now it's been established that the persons killed were on the sidewalk. Can we stop blaming them now, simply because they were on bicycles? Care to make any more excuses for the driver?
      Not a single poster in this thread blamed the victims.

Reading Comprehension > You

Vehicles
      98 b5 Passat
      04-08-2012 11:49 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by dubinsincuwereindiapers View Post
      Nobody blamed the cyclists. We simply don't know enough to claim negligence on the part of the driver. It happened on what amounts to, essentially a highway. There's not enough damage to the suv, to jump to the conclusion that the suv was traveling much faster than the posted speed limit. The photo shows the accident scene to be an intersection.

There's too many variables here; for us to immediately jump to the conclusion that "zomg! Some teenager was FLYING in a giant, evil Mack truck, while texting, and smoking crack, and intentionally mowed down an innocent family!"..

This accident is an aweful tragedy. Noone in their right mind would dispute that. We don't have enough information at our disposal however to assume the driver was guilty of negligence.

Ill say it again.. If this happened in a 25 MPH zone; id be calling for the driver's head on a stick! This was not the case though.
      I never said everybody was defending the driver. Just was pointing out the fact that there is a SKELETON propped up and positioned so it's peeking out the blinds of that window in the background and that this was tragic... The comments on the linked website are all idiotic.

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 11:57 AM #71
      Nobody blamed the cyclists. We simply don't know enough to claim negligence on the part of the driver. It happened on what amounts to, essentially a highway. There's not enough damage to the suv, to jump to the conclusion that the suv was traveling much faster than the posted speed limit. The photo shows the accident scene to be an intersection.

There's too many variables here; for us to immediately jump to the conclusion that "zomg! Some teenager was FLYING in a giant, evil Mack truck, while texting, and smoking crack, and intentionally mowed down an innocent family!"..

This accident is an aweful tragedy. Noone in their right mind would dispute that. We don't have enough information at our disposal however to assume the driver was guilty of negligence.

Ill say it again.. If this happened in a 25 MPH zone; id be calling for the driver's head on a stick! This was not the case though.

the accident that caused that much significant damage to the vehicle clearly indicates he was well out of the "speed limit" if he was doing under 70mph i'd be surprised to be honest. to tear a wheel away from the car, cause the ripple in the back end of the escalade as well as pop out the windows... yeah speed was 100% a factor.

also. take into account the initial point of impact, and how far the vehicle traveled to its final resting spot. that's quite a bit of distance from where the hydrant is.
      Last edited by dieselraver; 04-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.

22. Member
      04-08-2012 12:01 PM #72
      Another case of people dying unexpectedly, to which I feel sadness and condolences for the families of both the bicyclists and the driver (I'm sure the parents of the driver will be going through enough also). No doubt the driver will feel remorse also, and will have his own suffering.

Conclusion: Enjoy life while it's yours.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-08-2012 12:05 PM #73
      Not a single poster in this thread blamed the victims.

Reading Comprehension > You
      Who knows if it even was the kids fault, people on bicycles do some stupid **** at times
      I agree. However; we can't just assume that the driver of the suv is at fault, when someone was riding bicycle with a child on what pretty much amounts to a highway.
      they were jus 2 people that were caught in the middle of a bad situation or maybe they were the ones to cause it.
      These are just the first 3.

I'm the one with comprehension problems?
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-08-2012 12:09 PM #74
      Considering the possibility that the driver didn't intentionally kill the cyclists does not amount to victim blaming.

If I say, "I like ice cream" it doesn't mean I don't like cake also. Comprende?

Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      04-08-2012 12:12 PM #75
      This is the car lounge, where it's always the biker's fault. Have you seen the other thread where a car hit a bicycle on a bridge and tried to run away? The responses were the same...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast