VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Are there any Volvo enthusiats at all?

23K views 111 replies 73 participants last post by  project92raddoslc 
#1 ·
Can't remember the last time I've seen a volvo with even non-stock wheels.

#22 ·
Doesn't VadGTI have a Volvo??

Simbin, a Swedish sim racing developer, are surely Volvo enthusiasts (although with their location, one would expect it). Showing their brilliant Swedish creativity, they created a game called Volvo: The Game. If you have a gaming PC, check it out, it's free.

Thanks, I will be downloading that game.

#7 ·
There is quite a volvo enthusiast community... Turbobricks, brickboard, swedespeed, volvospeed...
I guess we typically don't tout it? I don't know...?

The 2.3l T5 has quite a following, even if they're FWD ;) It's one of those engine that can pull 40+hp and 50+tq with an ECU retune and exhaust. They are not the most tossable, even with full suspension upgrades. But they are fun cars.

#9 ·
Plenty of enthusiast out there, just not a lot of aftermarket wheel options out there. Generally you have to go custom to order built wheels if you want something different than a set of Pegasus wheels.

I've been trying to convince Fifteen52 to start carrying 5x108 wheels :laugh:

#10 ·
Who gives a damn about non OEM wheels??!? I have been a Volvo enthusiast since I was old enough to pronouce the name on the back of my dad's 740... when he moved up to a GLE 16-Valve, I knew we had something special, because even most of the other GLE's weren't 16-Valve... (pretty good figuring, for a 7 year old)

I grew up in a 960, and later inherited that car (in almost mint shape, because that's how well they hold up if you take care of them). I love Volvo's!! I always wanted an 850 T-5 R AWD wagon, a P2 generation T-5 (R or non R, hell I even like the 2.4T). My favorite colour on the old T-5 was Saffron... loved the wheels back then - the 5 spoke with the bend in the spoke. Gorgeous!

Even back in 1993 (the year of our 960), Volvo had dash-strokers covered (probably why I became one).... Vinyl over foam dash, nice stereo *for the time, black velvet headliner, black leather seats - that continued to smell good the entire life of the car, controls in just the right spot - actuated by beefy but refined feeling switches. It was perfect... No nasty seams or parting lines anywhere - you could feel certain areas were even finished by hand for a nicer to-the-touch feel.

You don't need mods and wheels to be an enthusiast. But thanks for waking some of us up ;)

#12 ·
You don't need mods and wheels to be an enthusiast. But thanks for waking some of us up ;)
This.

I'm as enthusiastic about my cars as anyone on here and I love to learn all I can about them. I do most of the work on them. However, I don't have extra money for wheels and mods. In fact, I've never bought a set of wheels, and my wife thinks I'm addicted to buying tires because I buy a set when one of our cars absolutely needs it (about every 18 months or so I have to buy them for something we have).

There is no dollar or parts count threshold that determines your status as an "enthusiast."

#18 ·
As in people don't seem to modify them so you can't really tell if there are enthusiasts or not.
This line of thinking is exactly what those of us who build sleepers (Volvo or otherwise) prey upon. :)

#19 ·
This line of thinking is exactly what those of us who build sleepers (Volvo or otherwise) prey upon. :)
:thumbup:

Once my springs and shocks on on my car (still sitting in boxes in my apt) I'm contemplating sticking with my steelies and hubcaps for awhile. Maybe even after the +T conversion is done.

#17 ·
I'm a fan of the S60Rs, and older 60s/70s Volvo's like the 122 & 142/145 series. Rear wheel drive, B20 engines (single carbs, dual carbs or fuel injected) and a chassis that comes alive with springs, shocks and sways.

1969 122S - B20 dual carbs w/4 speed manual:

1972 142E - B20 fuel injection w/ 4 speed manual:

1972 145 - B20 single carb w/ 4 speed manual (and an extremely clean bay)

I passed on a few S60Rs because of maintenance costs, but I would definitely consider one of these in the future. They're great driving cars and completely changed my impression of volvo.

#26 · (Edited)
All the C30 flashes use handheld units--they are ECU remaps.

The best remap is probably the Autotech tune. It is sold through Elevate. I read the Autotech tune is pretty customizable... you just have to tell Autotech or Elevate what you need/want.

IPD supposedly has a good one too... IPD's tune has an optional data logger, which AFAIK is the only one on the market for the C1 Volvos. IPD's software was supposedly developed by someone who is a super-expert engineer who specializes in Volvos, and that's why only IPD offers a data logger.

#32 ·
850R and XC70 owner checking in. I actually like the wheels my R came with, so its really, really low on my list of crap to do.

Besides, older Volvo enthusiasts are too busy dumping money into the rest of their car to afford wheels (if they own a FWD/AWD car).

Chris

#37 ·
850 T5 enthusiast here. Car has the full complement of IPD upgrades; chip, suspension, sways, etc. but stock wheels because I happen to think Volvo designs great OEM wheels. Truly an excellent all around car that I can't justify replacing any time soon.

#39 ·
My first car was an s60 2.4t, I absolutely loved it.

Too bad I was a young immature driver and ruined its auto trans with the development of a knock...

I than got a MKV Jetta, and Now Drive a B6 Passat 6mt.

1 day soon I will be getting a 240 for beater purposes, the only other car with such a masculine front end would be an e30.

Beautiful well built cars from those Sweeds

#40 ·
RWD enthusiast checking in.

I've owned three of the 7/9 series cars, looking for another soon.

Ideally it'd be an S90, n/a 2,9l I6, the only thing I wouldn't like is the rear suspension, it's a monoleaf with nivomats, iirc. Makes lowering the back difficult.

If I could put a non-V8 motor into my 9 wagon, it'd be the Europe-only B204GT. 2,0l 16v turbo motor rated at 200hp back in '90.

#43 ·
I'm a former VW fan, that started working at Volvo, & now own strictly Volvo's.

My old 240 - had to sell it for my wife's XC90 since we're expecting our third kid next month. :(

My wife's XC90 V8

My V70 T5M - w/ Koni FSD/Eibach's, chipped, Supersprint catback, Volvo strut bar, & IPD sways

winter mode

summer mode - wheels are IPD knock-off's of the new S80 T6 wheels

I finally got a new 99+ XC70 grill & ditched the mesh. No good pics yet though.

#95 ·
I have been reading up and lurking on the Volvo boards for years. I think this will end up being the year I buy a couple of them!

My wife's XC90 V8
Congrats on the kid on the way but sorry about your 240!

I have been looking for XC90 V8 in white locally but the market out here is flooded with T5's!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.