Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

04-07-2012 11:59 PM #1
      Hi folks,

Well, the missus has now selected the Audi Q5 2.0T after test driving several SUV's. I was hopeful that the new redesigned 2103 Acura RDX would have hit all bases, but in the end, driving dynamics won out.

That being said, is there any issues, flaws, or big warnings about these cars? Didn't they get a new transmission recently, and did that eliminate the problems they had with their transmissions in earlier year Q5s?

What is this "carbon buildup" issue that many Audis are experiencing?

Consumer Reports gives it a reliability rating of "Worse than average" (black dot). However, the car had the highest ratings from their tests. I do love Consumer Reports, BTW.

Are they still in short supply at the dealers? Better room for negotiation now?

Any current owners experiences welcome. Any Audi technician responses definitely welcome.

Randy
      Last edited by randy; 04-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Vehicles
      B7 Audi A4 Quattro
      04-08-2012 12:02 AM #2
      I know a few people who own the 2.0T and the 3.2 versions of the Q5 and they all seem to love it! Granted the 3.2 had a few water pump issues IIRC, but TSB's and a recall took care of those. Overall they're very solid cars. The updated 2.0T is a proven engine, and there's a reason why the Q5 comes in first place in numerous comparison tests. It would no doubt be my top choice if I were shopping in that segment Best of luck

P.S. If you live in the Philly suburbs don't get one because they're absolutely everywhere
      Last edited by MrKevkevL; 04-08-2012 at 12:07 AM.
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2009 Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      04-08-2012 12:53 AM #3
      Only know one person with a first model year 3.2L (2009 I think? or 2010)... Zero issues with it. It goes in for oil changes and tire rotations.

For a first model year with all the options (right up to the B and O stereo I believe, I only drove it once) that's pretty damn impressive.

Acura's do nothing for me... The RDX in particular. When you're spending this kind of money, you want something special, the Acura just isn't... really.

It's between the Q5 and the Volvo XC60 in this segment IMO. The Volvo is supposedly even more reliable to own and has lower operating costs then an Audi (more like Acura - almost reasonable, I find Volvo parts are decently priced too, when the car starts to get old and need the odd thing)... Worth a look if you haven't signed papers.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-08-2012 12:58 AM #4
      Enjoy the Audi, you can't go wrong with it. Avoid the 3.2L V6 (sounds like you are anyways) as that has a carbon build up issue that Audi has no permanent cure for.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

Vehicles
      B8 ABT A4, S550
      04-08-2012 01:22 AM #5
      Great car especially with the 2.0t. My buddy has this and the Range Rover Sport and he's astonished at all the features this offers at half the cost, he doesn't even drive the RR any more.
      Also, I think the Q5 is definitely the best car and most special feeling in this segment. Get the titanium package and call it a day.

04-08-2012 02:00 AM #6
      Nice responses. Not sure what transmission problems were out there, if that was the 6 speed, or the new 8 speed. Found a lot of complaints on one of the the tranny, whatever that was.
      Last edited by randy; 04-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.

04-09-2012 08:00 PM #7
      bump

8. 04-09-2012 08:04 PM #8
      i am an audi tech, the q5 is a great mid size suv, the 2.0t had plenty of power and we see very minimal issues with this platform combination, the newer 3.2l's have also resolved all of the previous issues like the waterpump recall, as for carbon build up we have a few 3.2l q5s that have near 100k and have no carbon issues they also always put in premium fuel and arent afraid to drive their vehicle

9. 04-09-2012 08:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Enjoy the Audi, you can't go wrong with it. Avoid the 3.2L V6 (sounds like you are anyways) as that has a carbon build up issue that Audi has no permanent cure for.
      I think you have that backwards.

04-09-2012 08:21 PM #10
      It's a terrific CUV and yes, very short supply at dealers. To ensure you get what you want, you need to order one. And soon... as 2012 model year allocation are starting to run pretty thin. Some Audi dealers in hot markets like Los Angeles are already sold out of 2012 Q5s and are taking conditional deposits for 2012 if dealers can somehow manage to trade for one.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      04-09-2012 08:24 PM #11
      I've got a 2010 3.2. Had it for almost 2 years, has close to 40k miles on it. No issues so far. Went to the dealer for the free 5k service and Ive done everything myself since. Doesn't really apply because you are looking at the 2.0t but the water pump issue isn't really a big thing. Any car that came with the plastic housing originally has since been replaced with the metal unit (my came with the metal unit, switchover seems to be somewhere in the 2010 model year) and if not, the dealer will do it no questions asked (you can see the water pump from the top of the engine, so it's easy to identify if it's plastic or metal). Put a lot of miles on the car and the carbon thing has not been an issue yet. The 3.2 has some serious grunt and it doesn't seem to be noticeably down on power with 40k on it.

The q5 in general is one of the best handling CUV's out there. I love how this car drives although it may be too stiff for some people who want a cushy right. I can honestly hop out of the s5 and into the Q and not really feel like the driving experience is that much different other then the higher seating position and less jarring impacts (fatter sidewalls). I also personally love the B8 interiors, there are people who nit pick about random small things, but I have no issues with any of the interfaces. Something to note is that the exterior mirrors seem huge at first but it doesn't take long to get used to them.

I actually went in intending to buy a 2.0t but they were just trickling into at that point (summer 2009) and all were fully optioned. I never actually drove one but ended up buying the 3.2 off the lot that day. The 2012's have the 8 speed transmission, which most people say has transformed the A4, so I imagine has a positive effect on the q5 as well. The engine itself has proven reliable in plenty of other applications, and with FI, the carbon issue seems to be less of a problem (either way it's not something that should prevent you from buying the car, especially a new one -it's easy to deal with and is not as bad as the people on TCL would lead you to believe).
      Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      04-09-2012 08:27 PM #12
      I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. The 3.2 is a honey of an engine. Pretty much every engine family has one well documented issue that people love to exaggerate, that does not mean it's something to stay away from, especially in this case where the issue is not catastrophic and can be dealt with.
      Dave

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-09-2012 08:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
      I think you have that backwards.
      No, I don't.

Most informative thread: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2817781
      Another good one: http://forums.quattroworld.com/q5/threads/633.phtml

Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. The 3.2 is a honey of an engine. Pretty much every engine family has one well documented issue that people love to exaggerate, that does not mean it's something to stay away from, especially in this case where the issue is not catastrophic and can be dealt with.
      I did not exaggerate it at all. The 3.2 FSI has carbon build up issues, no matter which way you slice it. If you look at the OP's post, he specifically asks about any known flaws. I never even insinuated it was catastrophic, but it will be something to be taken care of every 40-50k or so. Even then, Audi won't do anything under warranty until the car is sputtering and the check engine light is on. You'll be getting gradual performance degradation until that point. Most people don't notice they're losing power simply because it's so gradual. Your call if that bothers you, OP.

Luckily they no longer have to drop the engine to fix the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
      What is this "carbon buildup" issue that many Audis are experiencing?
      Since he explicitly mentioned carbon build up, I said avoid the V6. I didn't say anything about its driveability or any other characteristic, because let's face it- it's way smoother and nicer sounding than the 2.0T.
      Last edited by TangoRed; 04-09-2012 at 08:54 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      04-09-2012 08:55 PM #14
      Non of the Audi dealers around here seem to have any in stock. They have the demo and that's it. You must order one. I think the car is brilliant!

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      04-09-2012 09:11 PM #15
      I was very unimpressed with the Q5 for a long time: in my book, it's the blandest of Audi's current offerings. Then back in November I had a very well equipped 2.0T loaner for five days while my car was in the shop. I changed my tune immediately. Great handling, very smooth and refined and excellent overall mileage. My wife was immediately sold.

Take note that the Q5 is due for a facelift just about any day now. There hasn't been much word on when it will launch, but expect it within the next 3 - 6 months. Nothing major but some styling cues, new MMI interface, etc. If you want to know what to expect, look at the 2013 A4 package since the Q5 is essentially an A4 on stilts.

Very, very nice car. Unfortunately they are also in very high demand these days.

16. 04-09-2012 09:17 PM #16
      just keep in mind 3.2 supercharged is on the way...
      http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2822387
      along with other small changes (grille facelift, leds, etc.)
      Last edited by EurosportAMG; 04-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.

17. 04-09-2012 09:20 PM #17
      No, I don't.

Most informative thread: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2817781
      Another good one: http://forums.quattroworld.com/q5/threads/633.phtml

I did not exaggerate it at all. The 3.2 FSI has carbon build up issues, no matter which way you slice it. If you look at the OP's post, he specifically asks about any known flaws. I never even insinuated it was catastrophic, but it will be something to be taken care of every 40-50k or so. Even then, Audi won't do anything under warranty until the car is sputtering and the check engine light is on. You'll be getting gradual performance degradation until that point. Most people don't notice they're losing power simply because it's so gradual. Your call if that bothers you, OP.

Luckily they no longer have to drop the engine to fix the issue.

Since he explicitly mentioned carbon build up, I said avoid the V6. I didn't say anything about its driveability or any other characteristic, because let's face it- it's way smoother and nicer sounding than the 2.0T.
      Then I must be mistaken on the other 3.2 (I have the other other VW version) as I didnt think that 3.2 had DI. The 2.0T does have significant carbon build up and i've seen them being cleaned. There is a TB on the 2.0T buildup issues.

I guess I got the good engine.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      04-09-2012 09:38 PM #18
      meh a 4000lb car with a 4cyl turbo is not doing it right IMHO. Even C&D's own test got better mileage and acceleration out of the 3.2 and that was with a 6AT vs the 2.0T with the 8at. If you've already decided against the acura at least give the 3.2 version a shot (yes I realize it would have to be used).
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

19. 04-09-2012 09:47 PM #19
      I've got a 2010 3.2. Had it for almost 2 years, has close to 40k miles on it...
      I remember your thread, surprised the wife :thumb up:

OP - Go for the Q5!

04-09-2012 09:58 PM #20
      Nice responses gents.

Just our luck- we need a car now and Audi has this car in short supply.

Two dealers are saying $500 under MSRP. Crazy.

21. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      04-09-2012 10:06 PM #21
      My 3.2 would disagree. At 80,000km it was torn down

But it is smooth as glass and peak torks at a measly 1800-1900rpms

Vehicles
      MK1 AUDI TT, E36 M3 & (R)MK3 SEAT IBIZA
      04-09-2012 10:13 PM #22
      I got a 2011 Q5 and we love it. No need for more engine (got UNI stage 1 BTW). No complains so far... Very comfortable for a DD!

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      04-09-2012 10:34 PM #23
      I could not imagine what the 2.0t feels like, I drove a 3.2 when these first came out and honestly while it was brisk it didn't feel quick. Everything else about the Q the wife and I liked and thought was top notch aside from slightly crammed rear seat quarters. I also thought it was insanly expensive for what it was.

24. 04-09-2012 10:40 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
      Nice responses gents.

Just our luck- we need a car now and Audi has this car in short supply.

Two dealers are saying $500 under MSRP. Crazy.
      How long is the wait?

25. 04-09-2012 10:41 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      I could not imagine what the 2.0t feels like, I drove a 3.2 when these first came out and honestly while it was brisk it didn't feel quick. Everything else about the Q the wife and I liked and thought was top notch aside from slightly crammed rear seat quarters. I also thought it was insanly expensive for what it was.
      Well it is a SUV. Can I show you the Cayenne?

Step over here.....and bring money

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      04-09-2012 11:22 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      My 3.2 would disagree. At 80,000km it was torn down
      what was it?
      Dave

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-09-2012 11:51 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      I think the car is brilliant!
      I agree - it's on top of my list to replace my Passat, eventually. I am waiting for the 3.0TDI, though.

04-10-2012 12:11 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by SpeedNut28 View Post
      i am an audi tech, the q5 is a great mid size suv, the 2.0t had plenty of power and we see very minimal issues with this platform combination, the newer 3.2l's have also resolved all of the previous issues like the waterpump recall, as for carbon build up we have a few 3.2l q5s that have near 100k and have no carbon issues they also always put in premium fuel and arent afraid to drive their vehicle
      Just talked to a mechanic that used to work at an Audi dealership, he likes the Q5, and he wants to get a used one for his mom. Says the car is good, shares mechanicals with other Audis, and he thoroughly recommends.

Damn Audi for not making enough of these buggers, and creating a short supply. I do not like to shop for a car with these conditions.

Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T
      04-10-2012 12:13 AM #29
      We have a 2011 Q5 with the 2.0t engine and have put on a little over 15k miles. It is primarily my wife's car.

Pros:
      -Fun to drive! The 2.0t feels "quick" around town.
      -Smooth ride... I had a 2008 A6 and felt the Q5 was equal if not bettter for highway cruising.
      -Handling... I kind of forget it is an SUV.
      -Silky smooth transmission w/ the 8 speed and the sport mode works well for traffic and snow.
      -Great gas mileage 23-24 in town and 28-30 on the highway or around 19 mpg when I'm driving

Cons:
      -Small Trunk
      -You MUST buy high quality gas (Shell, Chevron, etc.) and pay for premium.
      -Panoramic sunroof has a rattle already

You'll have a hard time getting much below MSRP if this is your 1st Audi purchase.

Enjoy! You'll love this SUV.

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI, Mk1 TT, Q5
      04-10-2012 01:08 AM #30
      My wife just about fainted when I showed her what I was about to buy her. These cars literally sell themselves and there's a reason for it. We love ours. Great all around car and gets respectable mileage.

Did I mention these cars are still flying off the shelf even with the new X3 available? I'm sure the X3 are very nice vehicles as well.

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI, Mk1 TT, Q5
      04-10-2012 01:26 AM #31
      Last I checked the 2.0T torque rating was higher than the 3.2. Pickup speed is not a concern with the 2.0T. And if you're hungry for more power, the 2.0T is only 500 bucks away from gaining another 30-40hp and more torque with a chip tune. With the 3.2 you can't really get any performance upgrade for less than 500.

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen
      04-10-2012 02:11 AM #32
      I had no clue these things were so great until I read through this thread. Guess that's what I get for living smack in the middle of the midwest, haha.
      good decisions - '05 s4, '05 sti, '07 wrx, '07 & '08gsxr-600s, '03 20th gti #1, '12 jetta
      bad mistakes - '04 frontier s/c, '04 tt 3.2l, '03 tdi wagon, '03 20th gti #2

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-10-2012 06:18 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by mn_audi View Post
      Cons:
      -Small Trunk

Enjoy! You'll love this SUV.
      Well, it has a lot more cargo space than my B5 GLX 4Motion Passat wagon (which is almost as large as the contemporary A6 wagon) - so it all depends. It's huge, and more than sufficient, to me.

34. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-10-2012 06:55 AM #34
      My brother has a Q5 2.0T and most of what I would say has already been said.

A couple comments, it's not a slouch. I was pleasantly surprised by the power.
      The storage is smaller than I thought, but if you're buying the Q5, you probably expect that.
      The build quality and interior feel is very good.

35. Member
      04-10-2012 12:40 PM #35
      Q5 rear seat is aweful, very low and uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast