Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 25 of 25

    Thread: CIS-E 1.8 16v Thermo Time Switch Wiring??

    1. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-08-2012 05:12 AM #1
      A PO had done the 1.8 16v engine swap in my Rabbit, but did a half-ass job, so I replaced the entire harness with a (supposedly) untouched PL 16v Scirocco one. However, there was no connector from the ECU for the thermo time switch

      The PO had some round-a-bout loop from the harness to cold start injector, with one wire going to the thermo time switch and the thermo's other wire being looped around to the starter motor. But the cold start injector never worked with that setup, and I was having starter motor issues. How is the thermo time switch supposed to be wired? Isn't there supposed to be a brown connector coming from the ECU through the main engine harness?

      Unrelated, but I'm also missing one of the two O2 connectors on the harness, leading me to wonder if either the harness is not from the engine it was claimed to be from or it had actually been cut up...
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    2. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-09-2012 11:39 PM #2
      Bueller...
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    3. Member ps2375's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2003
      Location
      Meridian, ID
      Posts
      11,243
      Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      04-09-2012 11:44 PM #3
      Have you looked in the wiring diagrams in a Bently Manual?
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

      FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

    4. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-09-2012 11:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ps2375 View Post
      Have you looked in the wiring diagrams in a Bently Manual?
      Yep, and I have yet to decipher them I like pictures

      I have both the Mk1 and Mk2 Bentleys, and I've searched using several key words on the forums for both threads and posts, and all I know is that the thermo time switch controls the cold-start valve and, from what I've heard, it's supposed to have a connector for it to the ECU on the engine harness. But mine does not.
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    5. Member ps2375's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2003
      Location
      Meridian, ID
      Posts
      11,243
      Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      04-10-2012 12:04 AM #5
      I don't know what to say.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

      FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

    6. 04-10-2012 10:47 AM #6
      The thermo-time switch does not connect to the "ECU". I'll have to look at my bently when I get home but I'm sure its a stand-alone kind of circuit.

      Basically when the thermo-time switch is cold, it fires the cold-start injector. It receives heat from 2 sources, heat from the cylinder head, or heat from an electrical current that passes through it while you're cranking. So if the engine is warm, it doesn't fire the cold start injector. If you are cranking for a while, it stops firing so you don't flood your engine.

      -Alex

    7. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-10-2012 11:57 AM #7
      Could there be a fuel enrichment module connected (possibly home made) that is throwing you off?

      Edit: Rather, an attempt at a fem?
      Last edited by Madvwz; 04-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    8. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-10-2012 04:22 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v_boost View Post
      The thermo-time switch does not connect to the "ECU". I'll have to look at my bently when I get home but I'm sure its a stand-alone kind of circuit.

      Basically when the thermo-time switch is cold, it fires the cold-start injector. It receives heat from 2 sources, heat from the cylinder head, or heat from an electrical current that passes through it while you're cranking. So if the engine is warm, it doesn't fire the cold start injector. If you are cranking for a while, it stops firing so you don't flood your engine.

      -Alex
      Well then the PO may have been on the right track, but a "close but no cigar" type deal because it was all kinds of ghetto and not working anyway.



      Quote Originally Posted by Madvwz View Post
      Could there be a fuel enrichment module connected (possibly home made) that is throwing you off?

      Edit: Rather, an attempt at a fem?
      Nope, and I threw the old hacked up harness in a box (in case I need some OEM connectors or wiring later) and installed an entirely new harness, repairing every broken or ghetto wire connection in the bay in the process. The thermo time switch is the only thing not right (currently just not connected at all), as well as the mysterious lack of an O2 connector... (only the spade connector is present).
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    9. 04-11-2012 08:29 PM #9
      There's a whole section in the scirocco bently about the thermo-time switch and how it works. But anyway, as you know there are two pins, one switches the cold start injector to ground, the other is the internal heater. Obviously the injector hooks up to the switched pin. You can tell which is which by measuring the resistance to ground (body of thermo-time switch). One pin will be close to zero ohms when the thermo time switch is cold, and open circuit when it's hot enough to switch. The other pin will measure the resistance of the internal heater.

      The other pin of the cold start injector hooks up to the fuse block and to a source that has +12v during cranking only.

      I'd read the section on the thermo-time switch, stare at the wiring diagram, read the section, stare at the diagram, etc. until it makes sense. That's what I did.

      Cars that have an ECU don't need a thermo-time switch or even a cold start injector for that matter. They can just command the main injectors to squirt more fuel during cranking.

      -Alex

    10. Member ps2375's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2003
      Location
      Meridian, ID
      Posts
      11,243
      Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      04-11-2012 08:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v_boost View Post
      Cars that have an ECU don't need a thermo-time switch or even a cold start injector for that matter. They can just command the main injectors to squirt more fuel during cranking.
      Not totally true of the CIS-e cars, as they have both an ECU and the cold start injector along with the aforementioned thermo-time switch.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

      FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

    11. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-11-2012 11:20 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v_boost View Post
      There's a whole section in the scirocco bently about the thermo-time switch and how it works. But anyway, as you know there are two pins, one switches the cold start injector to ground, the other is the internal heater. Obviously the injector hooks up to the switched pin. You can tell which is which by measuring the resistance to ground (body of thermo-time switch). One pin will be close to zero ohms when the thermo time switch is cold, and open circuit when it's hot enough to switch. The other pin will measure the resistance of the internal heater.

      The other pin of the cold start injector hooks up to the fuse block and to a source that has +12v during cranking only.

      I'd read the section on the thermo-time switch, stare at the wiring diagram, read the section, stare at the diagram, etc. until it makes sense. That's what I did.

      Cars that have an ECU don't need a thermo-time switch or even a cold start injector for that matter. They can just command the main injectors to squirt more fuel during cranking.

      -Alex
      Everything I recall reading about it in the Bentley has only described what the thermo-time switch does and how to test if it's functioning, and at some point simply says "check the wiring" but does not go into how it's supposed to be wired. And as for the wiring diagrams, I can't seem to decipher any of those alien drawings...

      And that's not true, at least not for CIS-E Jetronic. I know that CIS-E Motronic does not use a thermo-time switch at all, yet I believe it still uses a cold start injector (the Motronic ECU just controls it instead of the thermo-time switch on Jetronic). I'm running Jetronic, however, where both are needed for the engine to start properly (sometimes not wanting to start at all, particularly when it's cold outside).
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    12. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-13-2012 10:25 PM #12
      Any updates?
      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    13. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-13-2012 10:29 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Madvwz View Post
      Any updates?
      None that I'm aware of at least
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    14. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-13-2012 11:13 PM #14
      Well, I looked briefly at mine and I think it's a blue w/yellow stripe wire and a ground...i'll try to trace it back tomorrow and get a pic.
      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    15. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-13-2012 11:25 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Madvwz View Post
      Well, I looked briefly at mine and I think it's a blue w/yellow stripe wire and a ground...i'll try to trace it back tomorrow and get a pic.
      Thanks! I'm wondering if perhaps the PO was on the right track with the way they had it wired, although a tad ghetto (and about 3ft of extra wire), but the ignition wasn't wired properly in the first place so splicing into the so-called ignition wire that they had caused the thermo-time switch (and thus, the cold start injector) to not work.
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    16. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-14-2012 01:52 PM #16
      Seems the tts and cts have a green/white wire that connect the two on one pin and the other is a black/red that goes up to the ign. switch.
      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    17. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-14-2012 04:28 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Madvwz View Post
      Seems the tts and cts have a green/white wire that connect the two on one pin and the other is a black/red that goes up to the ign. switch.
      So it is looped around like it was originally wired... except originally done half-ass and didn't work.

      Just to make sure I have it right: ECU connector to the cold start injector, green/white wire to thermo-time switch connector, black/red wire then splices into the ignition wire? Which of those wires are positive/ground? In case mine aren't the same color...

      Thanks so much for finally putting this to rest!
      ~B.
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    18. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-14-2012 09:24 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Slacker20 View Post
      So it is looped around like it was originally wired... except originally done half-ass and didn't work.

      Just to make sure I have it right: ECU connector to the cold start injector, green/white wire to thermo-time switch connector, black/red wire then splices into the ignition wire? Which of those wires are positive/ground? In case mine aren't the same color...

      Thanks so much for finally putting this to rest!
      ~B.
      There is a thinner (maybe 14-16ga.) black/red that comes from both the csv and tts that merge into a thicker black/red (maybe 12-10ga.) that go to the plug on the ign. switch here -

      Now this is on my 86 8v GTI (former winter beater, mostly in pieces) and in pulling looming off of that harness, I did find a splice that connects as I stated before, so this may be an easy solution in your case.


      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    19. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-14-2012 09:43 PM #19
      Wait, so then both wires on the CSV and TTS are connected to each other? I thought I had everything straight, until you said that the green/white wires connect each connector pin, and the red/black wires on each connector merge together at the ignition. Which color wire(s) goes from the ECU to CSV through the engine harness?
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    20. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-14-2012 10:05 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Slacker20 View Post
      Wait, so then both wires on the CSV and TTS are connected to each other? I thought I had everything straight, until you said that the green/white wires connect each connector pin, and the red/black wires on each connector merge together at the ignition. Which color wire(s) goes from the ECU to CSV through the engine harness?
      No wires to the ECU in this case. Not sure why this one was spliced, but it always worked. I just found out where it was spliced tonight.
      I'm assuming that the position on the ign. switch plug was as 20v_boost stated 12v during cranking only. If the car was warm, the tts would be 'open' and not accuate the csv.
      Make sense?
      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    21. Member Madvwz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      Madison, WI
      Posts
      568
      Vehicles
      86 GTI, 89 BBM GTI, 98 Jetta
      04-14-2012 10:16 PM #21


      Obviously, 14 = tts and 13 = csv.
      BEN'S VEEDUB SHOP
      MADSPEED
      ..i'll put firecrackers in your nutsack..and blow your ball$ all over your pants..

    22. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      04-15-2012 03:51 AM #22
      Hmmm... my 16v harness has a connector from the ECU to the cold start injector though
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    23. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      05-11-2012 11:06 PM #23
      I FINALLY figured out that the connector from my ECU that I thought (according to every diagram I had found) was for my cold start valve is actually the other connector for the heated 3-wire O2 sensor

      So now I've gotta get the cold start and thermo-time switch wired. From what I've gathered one pin on each connector are connected to each other, and the other pin of each is connected to the black/red wire on the ignition switch. What function is that wire? That's not the starter motor wire is it?
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      05-12-2012 01:59 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ps2375 View Post
      Not totally true of the CIS-e cars, as they have both an ECU and the cold start injector along with the aforementioned thermo-time switch.
      look at the older EFI vehicles?

      all my older toyotas, and my current 89 4runner have all had EFI (real efi, better than digifant) as well as a cold start injector..

      but yes, the thermo-time switch gets its signal from the starter, then the thermo-time switch sends power to the cold start injector until you let off the key, or the switch gets hot enough to shut off the injector..

    25. Member HeyMayneItsB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      804
      Vehicles
      '87 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      05-12-2012 03:35 PM #25
      Alrighty, thanks!

      Now to figure out my lack of cold-running/warm-up enrichment... but that will have to be another day, no time before SoWo.
      My current project: 1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v
      My previous project: 1984 Mk1 Rabbit GTI 16v

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •