Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 92

    Thread: mk1 frame notching

    1. Member VWM4YH3M's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Where it rains. PNW
      Posts
      1,507
      Vehicles
      slammerrreed and cambered 83 GTI
      04-08-2012 06:45 AM #1
      whats up guys so my axles are rubbing on my frame on my mk1, i was wondering if anyone around here has notched there frame. if so, could you give me some tips or a little help. idk how much to notch and dont want to take to much out. any info helps thanks vortexers
      THE ONLY BAGS I USE WRAP AROUND MY 40oz KDL GNARlow

      SECONDS FROM THE END, WHATS IT GONNA BE?
      PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH

    2. Member 16v dubbin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,404
      Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      04-08-2012 05:37 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by VWM4YH3M View Post
      whats up guys so my axles are rubbing on my frame on my mk1, i was wondering if anyone around here has notched there frame. if so, could you give me some tips or a little help. idk how much to notch and dont want to take to much out. any info helps thanks vortexers
      Good Luck all you will get on here is a bunch opinions and no real suggestions unless you want to pay upwards of 500$ and drive 80 miles.

    3. Member VWM4YH3M's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Where it rains. PNW
      Posts
      1,507
      Vehicles
      slammerrreed and cambered 83 GTI
      04-08-2012 08:17 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v dubbin View Post
      Good Luck all you will get on here is a bunch opinions and no real suggestions unless you want to pay upwards of 500$ and drive 80 miles.
      yeah not down, id rather wing it
      THE ONLY BAGS I USE WRAP AROUND MY 40oz KDL GNARlow

      SECONDS FROM THE END, WHATS IT GONNA BE?
      PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH

    4. Senior Member MEISTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2000
      Location
      Renton, WA
      Posts
      20,482
      Vehicles
      1980 Mk1 Scirocco, 2003 Passat & a 2000 Eurovan MV
      04-08-2012 09:28 PM #4
      Try contacting Nub Works. They do excellent work.


      NubWorks
      6613 NE 73rd Circle
      Vancouver, WA 98661

      Nubvr6@comcast.net

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/member.php?142642-nubVR

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/NubWorks/203869606322091
      Haters will broadcast your failure but whisper your success.
      --------1980 Mk1 Scirocco--------
      -2000 T4 R32 Powered Eurovan-
      2013 B7 Passat Wolfsburg Edition

    5. Senior Member skidplate's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2004
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      20,814
      Vehicles
      89 GTI 90 Audi Coupe Quattro 2011 4 door GTI
      04-08-2012 09:52 PM #5
      Justin (Nubvr) does great work. Or you could try contacting Nick Storm (SLC4ME) and see what he would charge.
      Flickr
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

    6. Member VWM4YH3M's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Where it rains. PNW
      Posts
      1,507
      Vehicles
      slammerrreed and cambered 83 GTI
      04-08-2012 10:04 PM #6
      how do i contact them, and are they local?
      THE ONLY BAGS I USE WRAP AROUND MY 40oz KDL GNARlow

      SECONDS FROM THE END, WHATS IT GONNA BE?
      PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH

    7. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-08-2012 10:43 PM #7
      Jack it up take off your wheel and start cutting.
      I used a grinder with a cutting wheel. It wasnt pretty but it got the job done.
      *DirtyEuros*

    8. Senior Member skidplate's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2004
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      20,814
      Vehicles
      89 GTI 90 Audi Coupe Quattro 2011 4 door GTI
      04-08-2012 10:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VWM4YH3M View Post
      how do i contact them, and are they local?
      Check your inbox
      Flickr
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

    9. Member rattycaddy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      1,656
      Vehicles
      78 Rabbit, 80' Rabbit Diesel
      04-08-2012 11:19 PM #9
      2" holesaw bit and a drill = Dialed

    10. 04-08-2012 11:50 PM #10
      please do not wing it and please do not listen to these guy telling you to just get a holesaw and grinder and go to town..

      DAMNIT people.. This is a frame rail of a car... What the hell do you thing helps save your life in a front end collision.. You guys are killing me...

    11. Member 16v dubbin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,404
      Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      04-08-2012 11:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by -freak- View Post
      please do not wing it and please do not listen to these guy telling you to just get a holesaw and grinder and go to town..

      DAMNIT people.. This is a frame rail of a car... What the hell do you thing helps save your life in a front end collision.. You guys are killing me...
      do it right.

    12. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-09-2012 12:49 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by -freak- View Post
      please do not wing it and please do not listen to these guy telling you to just get a holesaw and grinder and go to town..

      DAMNIT people.. This is a frame rail of a car... What the hell do you thing helps save your life in a front end collision.. You guys are killing me...
      It will be fine. If you wreck a Rabbit your going to die any way.

      Go for the hole saw!
      *DirtyEuros*

    13. Member Mk2Beastin89's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2010
      Location
      Eugene, Oregon
      Posts
      747
      Vehicles
      1981 Mojave Beige Rabbit LX Deluxe
      04-09-2012 12:51 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 1quick8valve View Post
      It will be fine. If you wreck a Rabbit your going to die any way.

      Go for the hole saw!
      Exactly.....
      BausWerks

    14. Member bugflucker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2010
      Location
      oregon
      Posts
      949
      04-09-2012 12:53 AM #14
      It will stop rubbing
      84 Jetta 2Door Daily driver
      81 Jetta 4Door diesel Daily driver - sold 9/2011

    15. 04-09-2012 12:56 AM #15
      f()ckin vortex kids.... Thank you for helping to ruin a perfectly good hobby and passion for me with your complete and udder ignorance... Its funny that the majority make fun of the Honda crowd and I am seeing responses like this on a VW forum..


      *edit*
      just realized that the responses were from Oregon.. I should have expected it..

    16. Member Mk2Beastin89's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2010
      Location
      Eugene, Oregon
      Posts
      747
      Vehicles
      1981 Mojave Beige Rabbit LX Deluxe
      04-09-2012 01:15 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by -freak- View Post
      f()ckin vortex kids.... Thank you for helping to ruin a perfectly good hobby and passion for me with your complete and udder ignorance... Its funny that the majority make fun of the Honda crowd and I am seeing responses like this on a VW forum..


      *edit*
      just realized that the responses were from Oregon.. I should have expected it..
      someone doesn't like Oregon........ If you are going to notch your frame, do it right. It could be a life or death decision. I am also going to notch my frame soon. Im taking some welding classes and Ill do it myself in the shop. I assume you would use a cutting torch. I could be wrong.
      BausWerks

    17. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-09-2012 01:41 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by -freak- View Post
      f()ckin vortex kids.... Thank you for helping to ruin a perfectly good hobby and passion for me with your complete and udder ignorance... Its funny that the majority make fun of the Honda crowd and I am seeing responses like this on a VW forum..


      *edit*
      just realized that the responses were from Oregon.. I should have expected it..
      dude grow a pair... Two inches out of his frame rail to allow clearance will not make him die.

      Ps. Your "honda/Oregon" comment was rude.
      *DirtyEuros*

    18. 04-09-2012 01:46 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 1quick8valve View Post
      dude grow a pair... Two inches out of his frame rail to allow clearance will not make him die.
      you are completely clueless aren't you? I do collision repair for a living, I have seen what happens in hard front end hits without holes cut in frame rails..

      Please stop with your backyard mechanics and frame notching 101 and learn some things about structural integrity of automobiles before suggesting to someone, to hack their frame rails the wrong way which could cause serious injury if in a collision..

      OREGON

    19. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-09-2012 02:10 AM #19
      I think your over reacting.

      Instead of attacking me for sharing how i did mine, why don't you explain to the class how he should notch his frame a safer way.
      *DirtyEuros*

    20. 04-09-2012 02:15 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 1quick8valve View Post
      I think you're over reacting.

      Instead of attacking me for sharing how I did mine, why don't you explain to the class how he should notch his frame a safer way.
      fixed /\

      he shouldn't, just like you probably shouldn't have done your own.. He should probably take it to someone that knows what they are doing and have it done....

    21. Member VWM4YH3M's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Where it rains. PNW
      Posts
      1,507
      Vehicles
      slammerrreed and cambered 83 GTI
      04-09-2012 02:24 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by rattycaddy View Post
      2" holesaw bit and a drill = Dialed
      thats what im planning, i just need to make sure i can use my buddies welder to weld the support
      THE ONLY BAGS I USE WRAP AROUND MY 40oz KDL GNARlow

      SECONDS FROM THE END, WHATS IT GONNA BE?
      PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH

    22. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-09-2012 02:38 AM #22
      Browse through this link. You should find some useful info.

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/search.php?searchid=19668660
      *DirtyEuros*

    23. Member VWM4YH3M's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Where it rains. PNW
      Posts
      1,507
      Vehicles
      slammerrreed and cambered 83 GTI
      04-09-2012 02:39 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 1quick8valve View Post
      Browse through this link. You should find some useful info.

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/search.php?searchid=19668660
      this link isnt working
      THE ONLY BAGS I USE WRAP AROUND MY 40oz KDL GNARlow

      SECONDS FROM THE END, WHATS IT GONNA BE?
      PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH

    24. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-09-2012 02:45 AM #24
      Hmm its working for me.. but anyway I just searched "notch" In the mk1 forum. there's a few threads about it. I remember reading them and seeing pics before I did mine. It gave me some confidence before cutting my car up haha
      *DirtyEuros*

    25. Member bmxguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      2,842
      04-09-2012 05:34 AM #25
      2" holesaw and a few inches of 2" pipe
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post

      This is the mk1 forum bro...we fix ****.

    26. Member funnee84bunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2007
      Location
      state of jefferson oregon
      Posts
      2,584
      Vehicles
      84 300sd 79 528i 87 K-5 Blazer
      04-09-2012 12:07 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by -freak- View Post
      you are completely clueless aren't you? I do collision repair for a living, I have seen what happens in hard front end hits without holes cut in frame rails..

      Please stop with your backyard mechanics and frame notching 101 and learn some things about structural integrity of automobiles before suggesting to someone, to hack their frame rails the wrong way which could cause serious injury if in a collision..

      OREGON
      take a minute and realize that although I don't know you, and I am quite aware of what you do; that you only contribute to the dumb crap/drama. If you have a problem with people from oregon, deal with them instead of acting like the people you berate. You're helping kill the scene just the same. It's called a hypocrite. your state is just as busted as oregon....
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      We'll accept Canadians but draw the line at Texans.

    27. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      powell's books
      Posts
      35,856
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      04-09-2012 01:16 PM #27
      did this on my old bagged rabbit.











      make sure to cover everything in undercoating


      few more pics here
      http://www.spitfireefi.com/gallery3/...-Rabbit?page=2

    28. Senior Member skidplate's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2004
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      20,814
      Vehicles
      89 GTI 90 Audi Coupe Quattro 2011 4 door GTI
      04-09-2012 08:50 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by -freak- View Post
      OREGON
      You say that like Washington isn't filled with douchebags..
      Flickr
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

    29. Member 16v dubbin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,404
      Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      04-09-2012 08:59 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by skidplate View Post
      You say that like Washington isn't filled with douchebags..

    30. Member Big Dipper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2011
      Location
      Hillsboro, Oregon
      Posts
      492
      Vehicles
      mars red 79 2d rabbit, 67 bug, 80 rabbit diesel, 87 Golf GT, 85 Jetta diesel (Jennie)
      04-09-2012 09:07 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v dubbin View Post

    31. Member bugflucker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2010
      Location
      oregon
      Posts
      949
      04-09-2012 09:08 PM #31
      It would have stopped rubbing by now
      84 Jetta 2Door Daily driver
      81 Jetta 4Door diesel Daily driver - sold 9/2011

    32. Member NFG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 1st, 2005
      Location
      Portland
      Posts
      1,222
      Vehicles
      04 R32
      04-09-2012 09:23 PM #32
      503Motoring in Beaverton did mine. You'll get it done perfect.




    33. 04-09-2012 11:25 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      take a minute and realize that although I don't know you, and I am quite aware of what you do; that you only contribute to the dumb crap/drama. If you have a problem with people from oregon, deal with them instead of acting like the people you berate. You're helping kill the scene just the same. It's called a hypocrite. your state is just as busted as oregon....

      Quote Originally Posted by skidplate View Post
      You say that like Washington isn't filled with douchebags..
      Don't fret, I don't like Washington either. It's overpopulated, the weather sucks, there are a bunch of wanna be hippies, and to many damn emo kids..

      I am like a soft delicate flower that needs sunshine to blossom, without it, I am just a dead brown leafless plant.

    34. Member bugflucker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2010
      Location
      oregon
      Posts
      949
      04-09-2012 11:31 PM #34
      Holy crap that's sad you need someone to talk to . FREAK
      84 Jetta 2Door Daily driver
      81 Jetta 4Door diesel Daily driver - sold 9/2011

    35. Member 1quick8valve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2005
      Location
      Gresham
      Posts
      1,181
      Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta 2.0
      04-10-2012 01:09 AM #35
      Wtf?
      *DirtyEuros*

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •