Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Did you trade in?

1. 04-08-2012 07:21 AM #1
      I've never dealt with a trade-in before, but that's what i'm looking to do with my 07 Wrangler, 90,000k mi, approx. kbb value of $15k...I still owe on it, otherwise i would sell privately.

Looking to get a GLI autobahn package. For those of you that have dealt with a trade in with VW, did they end up giving you what you wanted for your vehicle?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta S
      04-08-2012 08:39 AM #2
      I got 2k more than what I wanted for my '07 Milan (I just wanted rid of it...ha ha). I've been going to the same dealership for years though. I think there are some pretty good incentives out there, the 3 years maintenance free is pretty nice (you don't pay for oil changes and normal maintenace intervals).

Typically when I trade in if I still owe on the vehicle I'm trading in I make sure that I AT LEAST get what I owe on it so that the cost isn't rolling into the new loan

Vehicles
      12 Jetta TDI Premium 13 Jetta SE with conv.
      04-08-2012 08:50 AM #3
      I got KBB private party value for our MKIV which equated to more than trade value. Sight unseen, she was bad in shape, like not worth half what they gave and they came 75 miles to pick her up. A few weeks ago I drove a Tiguan and they drug me into the office. My wife has a 05 Neon worth about 4500 and they offered me 6000 to do it and the price was right on the Tiggy. Got to finish payin off my daughters Wrangler or I would have done it. Dealers really want trades right now. Just be sure they're not jackin up the sale price to make the trade look good. ---Mike
      Last edited by Niks01turbo; 04-08-2012 at 08:53 AM.
      Former VW---2001 MKIV 1.8T Future VW---Patiently waiting on 2015 Tiguan TDI/DSG

Vehicles
      2014 GLI
      04-08-2012 08:52 AM #4
      Don't tell them that you have a trade-in. First negotiate the price on the new vehicle and then negotiate the trade-in.
      I used to sell cars...

5. 04-08-2012 09:28 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jpcacosta View Post
      Don't tell them that you have a trade-in. First negotiate the price on the new vehicle and then negotiate the trade-in.
      I used to sell cars...
      I've heard this tactic before, but don't quite understand the concept. For me, the thing I want to know prior to going into negotiations is if they would be willing to at least pay off my balance.

So, would this be the tactic i should go in with even if I owe more than what the my trade in is worth or only if your expecting to make money off the trade in? I would like to go in and say if you pay my balance (about $15k) then we have a deal, along with negotiating fair price for GLI.

Thanks for the advice....

Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      04-08-2012 09:55 AM #6
      Trades in values are very hard to figure. Every dealership will value your car something different and every dealership gives you a different discount for new car.

So when people say negotiate the price of the new car first and then tell them you have a trade in, it sort of gives you starting point.

Let’s say you will be happy with 1000$ off of MSRP. Then you tell them you have a trade in, so they will give you a value based on that and you can go from there. Take it to couple of other dealers and see what they will give.

I traded my 06TDI for 11TDI, so they didn’t give me any BS about gas prices being high and no one will want a big SUV crap. I negotiated cash buy price for the 2011 Jetta, then I told them what I wanted for my 06 trade in and went from there. Took 3 days, but I got my asking trade in, and got about 500$ off of the new car as well. Don’t be scared to walk away if you are not happy with the deal.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!