Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tire cables for snow?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      04-08-2012 06:06 PM #1
      So, what are you guys using for snow cables? I understand chains are out of the question, and when I signed off on the car, I recall signing some warning disclaimer that even cables may not work. It's not entirely improbable to make a run to Tahoe in the next couple of years, so I'd like to have this figured out.

Have any of you used "textile" snow chains (e.g. "tire socks"), as sold on ESCTuning?

Thoughts appreciated.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      04-09-2012 11:16 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      So, what are you guys using for snow cables? I understand chains are out of the question, and when I signed off on the car, I recall signing some warning disclaimer that even cables may not work. It's not entirely improbable to make a run to Tahoe in the next couple of years, so I'd like to have this figured out.

Have any of you used "textile" snow chains (e.g. "tire socks"), as sold on ESCTuning?

Thoughts appreciated.
      I would just purchase atleast a pair of snow tires and throw them on the front. It might cost a bit more but atleast you won't have to get in and out of the car each time you see a patch of snow or ice and sell them once you're done with your trip

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      B7 3.6 SEL Premium
      04-10-2012 03:33 PM #3
      I haven't used the tire socks but I recall reading elsewhere that one downside is that they cannot be driven on dry pavement. I'm not 100% sure about it but dry pavement might damage them. So you might want to look into that before you buy...

4. 04-29-2012 12:35 AM #4
      I would purchase a set of studless snow tires. Always purchase them in sets of 4 and rotate them religiously (every 5000 miles is easy to remember). I use Blizac WS60 on my car and my wife's. If you just install 2 tires on the front, you might have issues with braking or turning. I bet it says in the manual not to install two different brand of tires, lrt alonr two different types (all season and winters). The new version of my tires is Blizac WS70, so you might want to purchase those instead. Remember that tires are good for 7 years. After that you should throw them away. My blizacs are rated for 110 mph, but for winter time that is fine. Keep in mind that below 45 F, the winter tires behave better than the all seasons, even on dry pavement. The colder it gets, the better the blizacs perform compared to all seasons. Price them out at tire rack, and then show the price to discount tire, with either just the shipping or just the tax, and get them installed at discount tire for $15/tire for installation and lifetime balancing. Pay an extra $15/tire for your OEM tires to balance and rotate them for life. Now, with regard to the OEM all seasons, I do not like them. I'm the kind of person that drives 3 seasons on summer tires and winter on winter tires for all the cars in my family. Your call on how you choose to do it, but I know that 99% of Americans drive on all srason tires all the time, and 99% of them would not throw tires away after 7 yrs if they are not worn down (I have thrown two sets away so far). Good luck.

-Mike
      looking for a 2012 Passat TDI SE, 6 speed manual, Black exterior, tan interior - having a hard time finding one - I might need to order one
      2008 Mercedes E320 Bluetec - wife's
      1995 Mtsubishi 3000GT VR4 - SOLD