Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: hot start question

1. 04-08-2012 06:37 PM #1
      i have a digi 2 1.8l jetta and i was having hot start problems. The car would start first try in the morning and every time i let it sit for long periods of time. if i drive the car around for a little bit and then shut it of for about 20 minutes and try to start it again, it would start and run for 3 seconds and die. i would have to repeat this 3 to 4 times before it would stay running. Now my car wont start at all so i checked to see if my transfer pump was running and it pumping 10 ounces in 10 seconds. i did the same to the main pump for 30 seconds and got not a drop. Now i know it could def be the pump but what else could it be if its not that. All help is much appreciated.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      04-08-2012 09:11 PM #2
      Was the main pump running at all? I ask cause I don't know if the pre-pump can stop all flow of the main pump.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

3. 04-08-2012 10:14 PM #3
      Ill check too see if I get power to it tomorrow it tomorrow. Ill also listen to are if its running.

4. Member
      04-09-2012 11:27 AM #4
      Your hot start issues sound like your main pump was dying. The main pump has a check valve which with a digifant car is not replaceable -- you still have to replace the whole pump. The check valve can cause a hot start issue but I have never seen one fail closed so no fuel can get through. You don't say where you tested for flow from the main pump. Your fuel filter could also be plugged. But that is also somewhat unlikely although a new fuel filter is not too expensive. Your best bet to replace a bad main pump is likely a used main pump -- the new and or rebuilt pumps are pricy. The advantage would be a warranty. Replace the pump using a new "O" ring seal and I like to use three new "special" screws on the flange that holds the pump in the distribution box. FR