Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay in my comfort zone or move up? (2 wheel content)

04-09-2012 06:33 AM #1
      So with me coming back to the state the 17th two friends sent me pictures of their new (to them) bikes. I had a GSXR750 a few years ago and sold it. I now have an itch to get back on two wheels. My question is do you guys think I should stick with a 750 or bump it up to a 1000?

I'd be looking for a GSXR 750 or a YZFR1 or ZX10R with 2006 - 2009, I don't really want to spend more the ~$8000.

What does OT think stick to four wheels get a 750cc or a 1000cc?

I have a feeling thins will probably be a conversation between me and Harma...

Help me out!

I'm open to other supersport suggestions...

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-09-2012 06:54 AM #2
      Are you going to daily the bike or just have it for canyon cruising, weekend fun?
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      04-09-2012 07:11 AM #3
      I'd stick with the 750 unless you really need the extra power. There's a reason the pros don't ride liter bikes.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

4. 04-09-2012 07:15 AM #4
      I prefer the smallest displacement I can get away with. Why pay for all the extra power if you can rarely use it?

To me, it's more fun to flog a small displacement bike than brief spurts from a larger displacement bike.

04-09-2012 07:31 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Are you going to daily the bike or just have it for canyon cruising, weekend fun?
      A little bit of all, since I live in Los Angeles the weather is nice almost year round. I will take it to work on nice days, followed by a canyon ride in the afternoon....

Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      I'd stick with the 750 unless you really need the extra power. There's a reason the pros don't ride liter bikes.
      They do now. (motoGP)

I don't really need the extra power, but why not? the weight of the 750 and liter bikes is so close it makes no difference....

Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      I prefer the smallest displacement I can get away with. Why pay for all the extra power if you can rarely use it?

To me, it's more fun to flog a small displacement bike than brief spurts from a larger displacement bike.
      Agree to a degree, its can be a PITA constantly shifing a peaky 600 during a commute...

I'm really torn on what I want, I never really liked Hondas but after reading the reviews on the 2008 CBR 1000RR, it's now iin contention...

I need someone to say there buy that bike! I'm too indecisive.

Ohh and I want a white motorcycle..

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-09-2012 07:54 AM #6
      You're in So Cal. You will fit in better driving one of these:

Full disclosure: I really want a Zero Motorcycle.

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      04-09-2012 07:59 AM #7
      Someone say SuperSport?

It's the only way to be safe.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      04-09-2012 08:04 AM #8
      What kind of riding do you want to do?

I've been on two wheels for a little over ten years and have owned nearly every style of sport bike under the sun. I can say, for me, a 1000cc race rep is really lame on the street. Power is delivered fairly high in the rev range (unless you are looking at the v-twins on the market) and the ergos are annoying.

Sounds like you are the type to go out and ride 100 miles or whatever in a weekend, if thats the case I would suggest one of the naked sports on the market. Yamaha FZ1 or Kawasaki Z1000 or similar. Not as much peak power, (more than a 600) but the meat of the delivery is much more accessible on the street. Other notable entries that would run you a bit more is the KTM Superduke, Aprilia Tuono, MV Brutale, Ducati Monster, etc.

9. 04-09-2012 09:12 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 92skirmishgti View Post
      Agree to a degree, its can be a PITA constantly shifing a peaky 600 during a commute...
      Right, which is why it's difficult to get opinions from others. I do not have to deal with the traffic you likely have to.

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-09-2012 09:14 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post

Saw this yesterday in the newspaper and I don't see much reason for this. Sure it is clean and doesn't cost a lot to run. But a regular motorcycle in that size is about 1/2 to 2/3rd the cost and gets over 50 mpg in almost any kind of riding. And unless you ride the Zero daily and thus charge it every day or two, I would wonder whether the batteries will hold a charge during the week for the occasional weekend ride.

As for the original topic, a 600 is enough power for riding around the city and local highway riding. It will also give you less reason to feel the need to ride fast and dangerous.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-09-2012 09:18 AM #11

How comfortable are the bikes for you?

I loved the 750. Its the only bike I would step up to.

26k miles on the zx6r. Only problem I have had was the Stator.

I rode a zx10r. It was a obscene amount of power. If you have self control its a fun bike. I had a safe ride and had fun. But I weigh half of you.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      Sounds like you are the type to go out and ride 100 miles or whatever in a weekend, if thats the case I would suggest one of the naked sports on the market. Yamaha FZ1 or Kawasaki Z1000 or similar. Not as much peak power, (more than a 600) but the meat of the delivery is much more accessible on the street. Other notable entries that would run you a bit more is the KTM Superduke, Aprilia Tuono, MV Brutale, Ducati Monster, etc.
      Last edited by hrama803; 04-09-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-09-2012 09:24 AM #12
      Oh man, and think of insurance pricing. Check it.

personally I would have started this in the Motorcycle area. I have read some great advice. Its just slow.

a friend has this and many bikes., races track days. Loves this bike over all of his.

Last edited by hrama803; 04-09-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Vehicles
      13 Toyota Tacome 13 Abarth Cabrio
      04-09-2012 09:36 AM #13
      If I were to buy a bike, I'd take a serious look at the RC 51

Or a Monster

But I drive like a douche when I am in a quick car, I would dead in days if I owned a bike.

14. 04-09-2012 10:01 AM #14
      +1 on the monster.

I had one (car accident changed my mind about two wheels) but I throughly enjoyed that bike.

it was a 695. not nearly as fast as jap 600+ cc bikes. but it had a pretty flexible power band, and still more power then I could ever fully use. kind bridged the gap between peeky high rev bikes and low end torque like big twin cruisers.

the brakes and suspension were awesome, as well as the sound.. I think I miss the sound the most

insurance also considered it a "standard" rather then a sport bike so insurance was lower.

15. 04-09-2012 10:44 AM #15
      +1 internets for a v twin. They have killer power bands for the street. RC 51 is on my "gonna own someday" list.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      04-09-2012 10:49 AM #16
      Monster 796 is on the short list this year
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-09-2012 10:50 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by hatetolovemydub View Post
      +1 internets for a v twin. They have killer power bands for the street. RC 51 is on my "gonna own someday" list.
      Every passing day I feel more like I'm "that guy" on the subject of V-twins. I cannot stand how they sound, where most people rave about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-09-2012 10:52 AM #18
      I only ride a lowly single-cylinder... shame I don't have the balls to ride a real bike

04-09-2012 11:15 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post

No, I'm getting a motorcycle partially for the sound a a 4 banger reving past 13k.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post

I've been on two wheels for a little over ten years and have owned nearly every style of sport bike under the sun. I can say, for me, a 1000cc race rep is really lame on the street. Power is delivered fairly high in the rev range (unless you are looking at the v-twins on the market) and the ergos are annoying.

It's even worse on 600cc bikes. I also refuse to pay a premium for a Italian bike when its Japanese counter part will get the job done just as easily for half the price. On the subject of naked bikes, just really not all that into them. I a crotch rocket fan.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Saw this yesterday in the newspaper and I don't see much reason for this. Sure it is clean and doesn't cost a lot to run. But a regular motorcycle in that size is about 1/2 to 2/3rd the cost and gets over 50 mpg in almost any kind of riding. And unless you ride the Zero daily and thus charge it every day or two, I would wonder whether the batteries will hold a charge during the week for the occasional weekend ride.

As for the original topic, a 600 is enough power for riding around the city and local highway riding. It will also give you less reason to feel the need to ride fast and dangerous.
      Agree 600cc is "enough" power, but you cortrol that with you right hand. just because I have a liter bike doesn't mean I will be riding it balls out all of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by hrama803 View Post

How comfortable are the bikes for you?

I loved the 750. Its the only bike I would step up to.

26k miles on the zx6r. Only problem I have had was the Stator.

I rode a zx10r. It was a obscene amount of power. If you have self control its a fun bike. I had a safe ride and had fun. But I weigh half of you.

I had the 750 for a couple of years, I am fairly confident and capable on two wheels. I like having the obscene about of power under my control, thats the reason I want one...

Oh man, and think of insurance pricing. Check it.

personally I would have started this in the Motorcycle area. I have read some great advice. Its just slow.

a friend has this and many bikes., races track days. Loves this bike over all of his.

Insurance isn't too bad out here for bikes.

Speaking of nakeds and motards, I'm fairly short at 5'7" so most of them have a seat hight too high for my personal comfort, and I don't dig em.

Quote Originally Posted by GRNWNV View Post
      If I were to buy a bike, I'd take a serious look at the RC 51

Or a Monster

But I drive like a douche when I am in a quick car, I would dead in days if I owned a bike.
      You're in control of how you drive, you have to respect it or it will kill you with out hesitation.
      RC51 is cool but old. Not a duke fan.

Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post
      +1 on the monster.

I had one (car accident changed my mind about two wheels) but I throughly enjoyed that bike.

it was a 695. not nearly as fast as jap 600+ cc bikes. but it had a pretty flexible power band, and still more power then I could ever fully use. kind bridged the gap between peeky high rev bikes and low end torque like big twin cruisers.

the brakes and suspension were awesome, as well as the sound.. I think I miss the sound the most

insurance also considered it a "standard" rather then a sport bike so insurance was lower.
      Any modern bike with 500cc or more will have enough power...

Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Every passing day I feel more like I'm "that guy" on the subject of V-twins. I cannot stand how they sound, where most people rave about it.
      Agreed v twins sound like crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I only ride a lowly single-cylinder... shame I don't have the balls to ride a real bike
      C'mon now, KTM's are badarse!

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-09-2012 11:19 AM #20
      C'mon now, KTM's are badarse!
      Oh I know, but the mentality that "if it's not a sportbike, then it isn't ****" is overpowering on most forums.

04-09-2012 11:22 AM #21
      That's retarded, I appreciate things for what they are. And you can have a sh!t more fun hooning that around town than you can any sport bike.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      04-09-2012 11:25 AM #22
      Sounds like you've already talked yourself into a 1000cc race rep.

Pick the one you think looks coolest, they are all mostly the same. And be safe.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-09-2012 11:39 AM #23
      That's retarded
      Yessir.

Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      04-09-2012 11:40 AM #24
      Not a duke fan.
      That's not a Duke--this is

“Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-09-2012 11:42 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ab8349 View Post
      That's not a Duke--this is

Yessir.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-09-2012 12:02 PM #26
      Oh I know, but the mentality that "if it's not a sportbike, then it isn't ****" is overpowering on most forums.
      you feel that way here?

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      04-09-2012 12:10 PM #27
      you feel that way here?
      Outside of the moto/atv forum, yessir I does.

28. 04-09-2012 12:11 PM #28
      IMHO go with the middle ground.

V-4 800cc. More of a sport touring platform, than a crotch rocket, very tame in traffic, but with a proper powerband for the weekend twisties.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-09-2012 12:12 PM #29
      Outside of the moto/atv forum, yessir I does.
      I thought you meant moto/atv.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      04-09-2012 12:12 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post

V-4 800cc. More of a sport touring platform, than a crotch rocket, very tame in traffic, but with a proper powerband for the weekend twisties.
      In the price range?

31. 04-09-2012 12:14 PM #31
      In the price range?
      Used '07-8 may go as high as $8500, but there is room for negotiation(s).
      I've seen them here in S.FL for as low as $5500.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      04-09-2012 12:20 PM #32
      The RC51 is amazingly uncomfortable and sucks for anything that doesn't constantly involve turns and getting off the bike. 30 minutes on a straight highway will make you regret life.

My next bike is going to be a Triumph Speed Triple. 1kcc holigan bike. It's comfortable and fast.

[IMG][QUOTE=togalive;2557627][/IMG]

04-09-2012 12:43 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post

Can you say FAT PIG!

I'm 5'7" at about 160lbs. That would be too much bike for me...

34. 04-09-2012 12:47 PM #34
      I don't really have anything to add to this thread except for this HST gem that I re-read this weekend

The Song of the Sausage Creature
      Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
      When the Ducati turned up in my driveway, nobody knew what to do with it. I was in New York, covering a polo tournament, and people had threatened my life. My lawyer said I should give myself up and enroll in the Federal Witness Protection Program. Other people said it had something to do with the polo crowd.

The motorcycle business was the last straw. It had to be the work of my enemies, or people who wanted to hurt me. It was the vilest kind of bait, and they knew I would go for it.

Of course. You want to cripple the bastard? Send him a 130-mph cafe-racer. And include some license plates, he'll think it's a streetbike. He's queer for anything fast...

---

My garage quickly became a magnet for drooling superbike groupies. They quarreled and bitched at each other about who would be the first to help me evaluate my new toy... And I did, of course, need a certain spectrum of opinions, besides my own, to properly judge this motorcycle. The Woody Creek Perverse Environmental Testing Facility is a long way from Daytona or even top-fuel challenge-sprints on the Pacific Coast Highway..

Good Luck with your choice and have fun
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      04-09-2012 01:22 PM #35
      No sane person needs a liter bike.

Seriously.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I do believe I've won TCL.
      I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast