Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My Scirocco 16V Build Thread

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 1987 Scirocco 16V
      04-09-2012 08:56 AM #1
      Well, yesterday I picked up me and my buddies new project car. We are going to transform this 1987 Scirocco 16V into a turbo-charged race car. It's going to take a lot of blood, sweat and tears, and I can't wait for it!

The plan so far is to strip it out, install a roll cage. Take the engine apart, clean and polish everything, put it back together, add a turbo and a few other go faster bits and race! We spent a bit of time debating about going turbo or supercharged, however we landed a great deal on a K03, so turbo wins.

We hope to have it finished by the end of this summer but who knows! If we manage to finish it by then, we'll start ice racing in the November!

I will update this thread along its coming of age story, from a no-start $700 car, to a race ready, turbo car of beauty!

Here's a couple pics after we picked her up

Vehicles
      87 Scircco 16v, 81 Scirocco 16v rally car, 97 Mazda Miata
      04-09-2012 09:38 AM #2
      I went to see this car about a week ago - It's a nice find. If it had started, it would likely be in my driveway at the moment. I had intended to go back with some extra ground cables to see if I could get it to at least turn over more then half a crank. In the end I decided to put the time into the two non-running Sciroccos I already own. Good luck with the project Anthony

Vehicles
      1986 Scirocco 16v
      04-09-2012 10:13 AM #3
      I take it the e-brake doesn't work judging by the rocks under the wheels...

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 02:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaines_Rocco View Post
      I take it the e-brake doesn't work judging by the rocks under the wheels...
      Yup ... doesn't even start. That's ok! I picked it up for $700 and between two of us. So to pick up a Scirocco for $350, I'm happy

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 03:03 PM #5
      Build Update:

So me and my racing partner have worked out a budget of $5000 with a maximum overage of $1000 to build a complete race-ready Scirocco. We unfortunately were not able to get a hold of the K03 turbocharger that was kicking around the dealership we work at. So for now the main focus will be suspension, brakes, and a decent diet. Along with the essentials like EMS, fuel cell, port polish and safety gear.

Speaking of safety, shopping around for a roll cage proved to be more expensive than planned. We were quoted between $1800 - $3000 from seven different shops. We gave up and start sourcing the materials required to build a cage, as we already have a pipe bender and mig/tig welder. Total cost for materials, $300. However, being the one who is actually going to drive the car, I'm still a bit hesitant on a $300 roll cage, but I'm confident in our DYI abilities. So eventually in this thread, there will be a DYI roll cage!

The next step is to find out what is required to get this car running. We've determined at this point that the engine needs a starter before we can go any further. Hopefully by next we will have the new one installed (taking the old one out this weekend to be re-manned). From there we can determine the next step. I'm hoping she runs smooth! Fingers crossed really!

Vehicles
      06 8p
      07-11-2012 10:15 AM #6
      Any updates??
      Bagged, Stoptech BBK, Bent Wheels, GIAC 93 Octane Flash, 6000K HID, Forge Atmospheric Spacer, Carbonio intake.

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 03:16 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NBPT_A3 View Post
      Any updates??
      Finally! PROGRESS!

We first had to replace the starter with a brand new one from Bosch. Removing the starter was fairly simple. First remove the battery, and then disconnect the starter, and remove. Two bolts, one on top and one underneath which were both Hex bolt's of some sort (I've had a few 's since last week ok?).

Re-install was fairly simple. Although I had to climb underneath the car for the bottom bolt, it was a little easier to make sure the bolt was lined up properly. So we had installed the new starter, with hopes of bringing the car to life, but no luck.

So first, check to see if fuel is getting to the engine. Check. Biggest fear was that one of the pumps may have gone. Next check for spark, nothing. Plugs look almost brand new so we figure the previous owner replaced them and burnt out the starter in hopes that it just needed new plugs.

Next step is to replace ignition coil, cold start valve and idle valve. Twinrocco has everything so hopefully next week or the week after we will have the car running.

So in the mean time, I began to strip the interior. I started with the door panels and roof liner. Door panels were very simple. First remove the arm-strong window rollers, one screw in the middle. Then unscrew the lock tab and literally "pull" out the mirror adjuster switch and unplug it. About a half dozen screws on each panel plus one large screw for the inside door handle and another larger screw at the bottom of the door panel and it basically popped off.

Then came the roof liner which was literally just pulled off. Nothing holds it up except for glue. The only other required work is removing the door and hatch seals to actually get at the liner, and removing the sunvisors which are held up by three screws each (clip included). Then just peel away.

Finally, remove the insulation which again just peels off and c'est fini!

I used a knife to cut off any tears in the lining. It was hard to peel the liner away from the windshield as the seal is on there pretty good. And I really don't feel like buying and replacing a windshield.

It was a slow start but at least there is progress. Hopefully I'll have another update within the next week or two!
      Last edited by ApexAudi; 07-25-2012 at 09:35 AM.