As many of you know, it's not always easy to find time to work on your personal cars when you're splitting your time between work, shows, home life, etc. Our buddy Brendan @ GintyFab sold his bagged B6 wagon not long ago and picked up a 2012 Jetta GLI. It wasn't more than a few days old when we asked the question 'how long until it touches the pavement?' If you read our blog titled The Demon Within, you know that people like us never change. We like to tweak, fiddle and mod damn near anything we get our hands on! It was only a matter of time until Brendan got to work on his GLI.
We figured it'd be cool to showcase our collaborative efforts on his GLI via a build/documentary thread in the air suspension forum. If you're not familiar with GintyFab, you will be by the end of this build. Brendan is one of the most detail oriented people I've ever met and if you saw the air install in SteveO's wagon or our shop MkIII Jetta, then you've seen his work.
The goal with the GLI was to keep the boot fully functional including retaining the factory spare tire. This is a feat in and of itself and not something that is easily achieved. However, with proper planning and measuring, Brendan made it happen.
Without further ado, let's get to it...
GintyFab GLI Badgeless [hand made perfection]
Shaved Boot Lid
Now onto the 'low'.
The setup going into the GLI is as follows:
(2) AccuAir 3 gallon aluminum tanks
AccuAir e-Level with RockerSwitch AND TouchPad
AccuAir RF Fobs
ORT Wiring Kit
Dakota Digital Odyssey 52mm gauge
BagYard Supreme Series Fronts
Dorbritz D-Cup Rears
Slam Specialties SS-5's
Dual Viair 444's
Triple Trumpet Train Horn
Carpeting removed for test fitting of three gallon tanks
Driver side will hold the other three gallon tank
Fully gutted spare tire well
Building the mounting board for the 'core' management components
The compressor wires were attached and carpet was added to reduce noise and vibration
The base was then coated with trunk bed liner for a durable yet appealing finish.
The final location of all the 'core' management pieces...
Everything fits cleaning under the spare tire and there is plenty of clearance between the spare and the compressor head.
Bracket made for the first tank
Note, there was special consideration and measurements that had to be taken in order to account for the trunk spring.
Cover was made for the first tank
it's made out of 16 gauge steel.
This thread will be updated occasionally with new pictures, information, etc. The finished product should definitely be incredible!
Looking awesome! I mentioned this in the Mk6 Jetta forum but im in the process of installing air on my GLI as well and am mounting the management under the spare while retaining it for full use as well! However, im leaving compressors and tank to be visible.
Good stuff can't wait to see it slammed
Running power wires through the fire wall.
peel back the felt liner and your see the rubber boot with the teets
Cut a nipple off and start fishing.
I am running two power wires because I plan on running a sub.
Center console was pulled and the kill switch for the compressors was placed in the middle.
Brendan much prefers grommets to bulkheads as bulkheads are an extra connection point which can leak.
All wires are labeled for easy wiring as well as easy troubleshooting.
A close up of the senders in place.
Almost every piece is in place and ready to be completely wired. Notice the gauge senders which correspond to each corner of the car with the tank sender in the middle.
You know I don't post on vortex much, but DAMN this deserves one!
I'm amazed by how many small details Brendan always covers. Those wire labels is a cracking good idea. Curious to see how those tanks are going to fit in there, as well as how the airline will mount as to not interfere with the spare. I know however its done, it'll be clean. and as always.
Did you ever get your e-level sorted?
[Nipple marked for trimming]
[SS-6 + D-Cups with plenty of clearance!]
[Brendan changed the direction of the arrows after spending far too long on the phone with Carling Technologies]
The 'control center' in action. The Dakota gauge displays both spring pressure and tank pressure. Note the rocker switch is red because the sensors are not yet hooked up.
If you have any questions on how to do it, PM me.
I will when I get around to it. I just started installing my kit today, and I happen to come across your thread and placement of the rocker switch. Perfect, but I'd like the up and down arrow instead of side to side. Cheers. I'll pm you when I get to that point of the install. More important things to do yet.