Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Installation of extra led lights in the trunk

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2007 Touareg VR6
      06-24-2012 04:22 AM #106
      Now that the RVC is almost completed - I'm working on installing LED's under the hood. There is a bend in the sheet metal that is perfect to shine the light straight down into the engine compartment at the front edge of the insulation blanket. I ordered this from Superbrightleds:
      WFLS-CW30-BK: 50cm[19.7in] Cool White Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - Black Circuit
      Here's a pic lit (just using a 9 volt battery - much brighter on 12V) and off.

Here's a couple pics of the tilt switch. This will turn on the LED strip when I lift the hood.

And the tilt switch mounted. The white wire next to the washer nozzle wiring in the background is the wire for the LED strip. Everything is hidden inside the hood ribs:

And the LED strip mounted:

I removed the underhood insulation blanket and routed the wiring inside the stiffening ribs after threading one of those corrugated cable looms though first, with the intention of following the wiring for the washer nozzles down. I am going to add a fuse to the underhood fuse box (2 empty slots) and try and tuck the wiring in nicely. I will add to this when I get there. All the pics are here as well: http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/...ED%20lighting/
      Last edited by vw norm; 06-24-2012 at 04:42 AM.
      2012 SEL TDI DSG - Platinum Gray with Moonrock
      2007 Touareg V6 - Offroad Gray w/ Anthracite

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-24-2012 11:05 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by WeeeZer14 View Post
      I'm kicking around the idea of adding a LED or two under the rear bumper to light up the ground when I am at the trunk. Just to make sure I see anything I may have dropped. It would be like when any of the doors open.

Going to wait a bit though since the car goes into the shop next week to have the rear end damage repaired from being rear ended last week
      I will be doing this on my B6. I thought it'd be nice too.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE 6man 2003F350 Powerstroke 7.3 4x4
      07-18-2012 10:02 PM #108
      I had the time to install my version of the Kchorro LED trunk mod last weekend. I drilled 3/8" holes by each LED (being careful not to drill into the deck trim inside the car, or window)and used a 1/4" rubber grommet to hide the wiring on top of the trunk panel.

Untitled by yamaguy, on Flickr

I then used my automatic wire stripper (which is real nice when trying to strip the wire in the middle of it) so that I could daisychain the LEDs together. I then twisted the wire from the one LED to the other and E taped them up.

I checked everything as I went with a battery from my little drill.

By the way if I ever have to sleep in my P, this is pretty comfy!!

Once they were all wired together, I drilled another hole on the passenger side front of the trunk and tucked the wires behind the carpet and ran them to the factory light.

Here I used my auto wire stripper again by the factory light connector and twisted the wires on the factory ones and taped it all up.

I did 6 of them (2 are blocked in this pic by the seat releases) because I figured at $1.99 each I would splurge. lol

Then it was Pizza time!!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2012 02:17 AM #109
      Nice clean install. I like the way you hid the wires, easy with no sub in the way.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Tungsten/Black
      07-19-2012 09:48 AM #110
      AWESOME !
      I also I'm working on adding LED into the hood.
      2004 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the 2006
      2006 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the Tiguan
      2009 VW 2.0T Jetta Wolfsburg - traded for the Passat
      2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI SEL Premium Nav
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium w/rear lid spoiler

6. Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2012 02:47 AM #111
      I finally got around to completing the underhood LED's. I ran a cable to the fuse panel in the dash and added a couple of repair wires to slots 36 (for the RVC Controller) and 37 - for the underhood LED. Here is a pic of the modified fuse panel with 2 new 5 Amp fuses. The blue lug attached to the dash is the ground for the LED strip. Thanks to JetTurbo for the excellent how-to detailing adding a new fuse in his post here:http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62584

I ran the wire from the LED's along side the existing hood harness for the heated washer nozzles and wrapped it with 'real' cloth tape.

The cable was run along the back side of the insulation shield on the front of the firewall. Then I removed the battery and found this grommet in the firewall, next to the factory wiring harness. I thought this might have been for the MT clutch? But it made for a handy place to run my cable through. Drilled a small hole, pushed the wire through and sealed it up with some silicone.

Here are a couple of pics illuminated solely by the LED strip at night. More details on the tilt switch and the LED strip are above in this thread.

This is from a distance showing the LED strip and engine illumination.
      Last edited by vw norm; 08-01-2012 at 03:18 AM.

7. Moderator
      Vehicles
      14 CC R-line, 07 expedition EL Limtd
      08-07-2012 09:51 PM #112
      added to DIY
      If you can't take the HEAT be a COP

2B1 ask 1

Vehicles
      '13 B7 TDI SE M
      08-09-2012 04:01 PM #113
      I just ordered a dozen... Cheers...
      '13 Passat TDi SE M, Eagle GT wrapped SAGITTA 19s
      '03 Ford SD 250, 7.3L PowerStroke
      '73 Bronco Ranger, Rollerized 5.0

Humility Before Honor

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 Plat Grey Passat SEL Prem
      09-18-2012 11:35 AM #114
      awesome practical mods =)

Going back to the trunk lighting, does anyone know the guage of the power wires to the OEM trunk light? Not that I'm lazy, just trying to order some parts to splice into it now, otherwise I'll have to wait until probably this weekend (6 month old demands all my time once I get home and car is street parked).

Thanks in advance either way ha

10. Member
      Vehicles
      09-18-2012 11:55 AM #115
      0.6 mm wire, or 22 gauge. Pretty skinny, but adequate for a bunch of led's!

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 Plat Grey Passat SEL Prem
      09-18-2012 02:40 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by vw norm View Post
      0.6 mm wire, or 22 gauge. Pretty skinny, but adequate for a bunch of led's!
      Awesome, thanks!

ah...to be back on a car forum again....

12. 03-17-2013 10:07 PM #117
      I just completed the trunk LED mod. WOW! Absolutely fantastic! This has got to be the cheapest, easiest, biggest bang-for-the-buck I've seen in a long time. Huge thanks to Kchorro for this.

Some things I did: installed 8 LEDs instead of 6 (I'm gettin' old - I need more light. ), soldered and heat-shrinked all connections. Used nylon sheaths around all wires. And used the thin strip foam mounting tape specifically for these LED ribbons.

If anyone needs more light in the trunk of their B7 and thinking about doing this - just go do it. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks again Kchorro.
      Last edited by salsaman06; 03-17-2013 at 10:12 PM.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium; Previous 2004.5 Passat GLX
      03-13-2014 03:27 AM #118

I just ordered my 6 sets of LEDS for my 2012 SEL Premium
      I just hate that the truck is sooooo dark. Can't believe they had this epic fail on a $30k car. Skimp on something else VW.

Anyways I had a question on the grocery bag hooks. I bought mine from ECS tuning but no instructions.
      I don't don't what order the hardware stack should go.
      There are the 2 screws with green stuff I'm assuming loctite on them (so I want to do it correctly the first time), and the retainer clips and the handle.
      Does it go in this order (when going from top of deck to under deck):
      1) clip/retainer
      2 sheet metal of car
      3) grocery hook
      4) screw

Or is it
      1) sheet metal of car
      2) clip/retainer
      3) grocery hook
      4) screw

Or something else

Also the clips have a flat side and an angled end tip side. Which side goes up/down??
      Do we need a special tool to insert those little clips into the top deck? Looks tricky/difficult to install
      Anyone have a close-up pix of exactly how it goes?
      Otherwise I will have to have the dealer install it for me.

Thanks in advance.Will post pix of the leds when I'm done.
      Last edited by salsaguy; 03-13-2014 at 03:30 AM.

14. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified Ones
      03-13-2014 03:23 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post

I just ordered my 6 sets of LEDS for my 2012 SEL Premium
      I just hate that the truck is sooooo dark. Can't believe they had this epic fail on a $30k car. Skimp on something else VW.

Anyways I had a question on the grocery bag hooks. I bought mine from ECS tuning but no instructions.
      I don't don't what order the hardware stack should go.
      There are the 2 screws with green stuff I'm assuming loctite on them (so I want to do it correctly the first time), and the retainer clips and the handle.

Not a B7 but, it will be the same install - Please see this detailed forum DIY below:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...g-hook-install

Andy

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2014 11:41 AM #120
      If not mentioned previously, the Touareg trunk light fits perfectly in the Passat trunk at top dead center in front of the third brake light access. See here: Touareg-trunk-light-fits-our-car

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE 2.5, 2013 Beetle 'Vert 2.5 w/ Tech, 2005 New Beetle GL 'Vert 2.0
      03-15-2014 11:52 AM #121
      This is such an easy and inexpensive fix to the inadequate factory trunk lighting. I bought 10 of the LEDs - 6 will go in the trunk (like others have done), and the other 4, not sure yet (maybe as footwell lighting?), but I'll definitely find a use for them!
      Doug
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Current - 2013 Passat SE, 2013 Beetle 'Vert, 2005 New Beetle GL 'Vert
      Gone - 2011 Golf TDI DSG, 2005 Jetta, 2003 New Beetle, 2002 New Beetle, too many air-cooled to count...

Vehicles
      2014 / VW / Passat TDI
      05-25-2014 05:56 PM #122
      Ordered and looking forward to it!!! Thanks again for the write up!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234