Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: : ) Why NOT to install a turbo on the G60 8v engine that was engineered for a supercharger!

04-24-2012 11:28 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by DubCorrado View Post
      I guess this is the best place to ask this but, how many liters of air does a BBM lysholm push out per revolution?

Thanks,
      Mark
      .87lpr
      BBM -Bahn Brenner Motorsport
      http://www.BahnBrenner.com
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      13 Silverado - 91 Corrado - 92 Corrado VR6T
      04-25-2012 09:05 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Prof315 View Post
      . Scroll compressors are quite efficient, just ask the A/C industry, but definately not so good for a supercharger.
      going to have to disagree...

as well the fastest 1/4 mile cars in the world are scroll supercharged...

i'm sure i am just biased but there's nothing like a scroll charger, centrifugal chargers are just outright not fun. i sold my G60 Lysholm back when i was 20 biggest regret of my life thus far.

04-25-2012 12:59 PM #73
      I think we are just mixing up the types of compressors here.
      The video above is the Kenne Bell twin screw lysholm.

Pretty sure the above is referring to the scroll AC compressor being similar to the g-lader.

Then you have centrifugal...or basically turbo type blower ran by a belt.

And then of course you have the Eaton egg beater roots design....
      Then the newer TVS roots type.

The twin screw lysholm types are the best positive displacement compressors...
      TVS is next

Centrifugal such as Vortech, Rotrex....Pro Charger not so great for smaller engines in my opinion. I also wouldn't choose one for larger engines.

Roots Heaton egg beater.... nick name tells the story
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 02:00 PM #74
      as above i guess i was mistaken, i'm not a heating and air conditioning person haha just in context it seemed as if they were discussing the screw type chargers but after reading he referred to as scroll... my bad... though i would rather a G60 over a centrifugal haha

though makes me wonder how did the G60 "lysholm" get that nickname? being the charger is clearly an Opcon by the case as opposed to Lysholm chargers having heat sink fins like Eaton has used for years. oh and if we're speaking affiliation Opcon is actually the parent company to Lysholm. Also you, BBM, publicly offer up the info that the charger is an Opcon Autorotor 2087. i have always been baffled by that... really miss mine though

Vehicles
      1982 BMW 320i, 1986 Jetta Carat Frankenturbo
      04-25-2012 07:05 PM #75
      Lysholm is more fun to say
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |

Vehicles
      90 Corrado Lysholm
      04-25-2012 10:44 PM #76
      For awhile now I been contemplating on purchasing Gruvenparts billet lightweight pulleys. As this was to help put less strain on the Lysholm as well as decreasing the parasitic drain it takes on the engine power to spin it and increasing overall engine efficiency. I been reading this forum and havent seen much praising on this subject, so is it just a complete waste of money to do so? Will it even help enough for me to tell a difference in rev climbs or any other factor?

I really need to slam a 16v on her

-Mark

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      04-26-2012 12:54 AM #77
      For awhile now I been contemplating on purchasing Gruvenparts billet lightweight pulleys. As this was to help put less strain on the Lysholm as well as decreasing the parasitic drain it takes on the engine power to spin it and increasing overall engine efficiency. I been reading this forum and havent seen much praising on this subject, so is it just a complete waste of money to do so? Will it even help enough for me to tell a difference in rev climbs or any other factor?

I really need to slam a 16v on her

-Mark
      I have a 16v turbo head for sale if your interested

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 03:10 PM #78
      ooh i have a preety nice 16v head setup with cams and i'll even throw in a head gasket

but from what i have always been reading, only had one VR6 with billet pullies, but people are complaining that they may not be balanced. which as we all know an unbalanced crank is bad mmmkay. so i traded in my MK4 GTI VR6 cause it was smoking. underdrive billet pullies, billet flywheel and 6 puck clutch. later found out every VR i've had smoked i actually ran into the MK4's new owner and the car was still running 2 years later with no problems...

...bottom line is if you have done it already i would not worry about going back to stock

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      04-28-2012 09:36 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubCorrado View Post
      ooh i have a preety nice 16v head setup with cams and i'll even throw in a head gasket

but from what i have always been reading, only had one VR6 with billet pullies, but people are complaining that they may not be balanced. which as we all know an unbalanced crank is bad mmmkay. so i traded in my MK4 GTI VR6 cause it was smoking. underdrive billet pullies, billet flywheel and 6 puck clutch. later found out every VR i've had smoked i actually ran into the MK4's new owner and the car was still running 2 years later with no problems...

...bottom line is if you have done it already i would not worry about going back to stock
      I had the ECS tuning light weight underdrive crank and power steering pillows on my car for over two years with no issues so today I replaced those along with the stock belt tensioner, alternator and water pump pillows with the complete 5 light weight pulley set from Gruven parts and I'm very happy with it so far

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 audi tt ea888
      04-29-2012 01:19 AM #80
      What about the reliability issues with the BBM lysholm. By the way i am currently putting a TVS 1900 in a corrado. it fits with A/C just have to cut the radiator shroud.

Vehicles
      90 Corrado Lysholm
      04-29-2012 01:24 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by MKVmyfast View Post
      I had the ECS tuning light weight underdrive crank and power steering pillows on my car for over two years with no issues so today I replaced those along with the stock belt tensioner, alternator and water pump pillows with the complete 5 light weight pulley set from Gruven parts and I'm very happy with it so far

How is the performance on the car since the lightweight pulleys installed? Im just really looking for increased rev climbs in the low to mid rpms. Do those pulleys work well enough to make my smile larger?
      Or is it a small increase and a buzzkill?

Mark

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 01:37 AM #82
      I really like it. I live in downtown and was just at a club close bye and hit it all the way home and I still have a smile on my face but its just the first day to quick to judge ill keep in touch and let you know a little later on what I still think about them. The price for them is steep I will admit that but ill let you know if it was even worth spending all that money for this modification

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 12:22 PM #83
      the lysholm charger is very reliable. don't over rev it and you wont have any problems. by over revv i mean peak and continuous revs. the lysholm is so loud because it is gear timed. same reason a straight cut gear transmission is loud. well the lysholm is excessively loud because it's designed to have the throttle body before the intake of the charger, basically this is what the BBM silencer kit does. it puts the TB before the charger's intake.

04-29-2012 06:09 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by abacorrado View Post
      What about the reliability issues with the BBM lysholm. By the way i am currently putting a TVS 1900 in a corrado. it fits with A/C just have to cut the radiator shroud.
      Every new Lysholm we have sold has come with a full one year warranty. We started this kit back in 1998 so many are getting very old with high mileage. Since 1998 we have replaced or repaired very few 1 in about 100 or only about 1%

If you have a BBM supercharger that is 4+ years old with high miles or over driven and raced. It is a really good idea to have it rebuilt by us and start a new fresh life with all new bearings and seals.

If you have a turbo or a supercharger...if you take good care with proper installation / maintenance they take good care of you. Many have gone over 100,000 miles and 100's are still out there boosting cars all around the world.

It is crazy hard for me to believe that we have had this kit out now for nearly 14 years
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      90 Corrado Lysholm
      04-29-2012 10:55 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by MKVmyfast View Post
      I really like it. I live in downtown and was just at a club close bye and hit it all the way home and I still have a smile on my face but its just the first day to quick to judge ill keep in touch and let you know a little later on what I still think about them. The price for them is steep I will admit that but ill let you know if it was even worth spending all that money for this modification

Sounds good so far man, let me know how things turn out. Very anxious to buy some but scared the performance wont be an even trade off.

Vehicles
      90 Corrado Lysholm
      04-29-2012 10:58 PM #86
      the lysholm charger is very reliable. don't over rev it and you wont have any problems. by over revv i mean peak and continuous revs. the lysholm is so loud because it is gear timed. same reason a straight cut gear transmission is loud. well the lysholm is excessively loud because it's designed to have the throttle body before the intake of the charger, basically this is what the BBM silencer kit does. it puts the TB before the charger's intake.
      Yeah I dont plan on over revving her. I never hit bottom of red line nor do I rev at 7k. I normally shift at about 6200 or sooner, no point revving further. I just need that low to mid rev climb speed. I may purchase a silencer kit one day, for now Im still in love with that whine.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 03:53 PM #87
      Yeah I dont plan on over revving her. I never hit bottom of red line nor do I rev at 7k. I normally shift at about 6200 or sooner, no point revving further. I just need that low to mid rev climb speed. I may purchase a silencer kit one day, for now Im still in love with that whine.
      Screw the silencer, that whine is the best part! If I thought I could trade my VR for a lysholm Corrado it would be gone in a heartbeat haha

Vehicles
      90 Corrado Lysholm
      05-02-2012 12:00 AM #88
      Screw the silencer, that whine is the best part! If I thought I could trade my VR for a lysholm Corrado it would be gone in a heartbeat haha
      Hahaha yeah thats true, thats the unique beauty of that lysholm. Why muzzle the beast?

05-02-2012 07:21 PM #89
      You either absolutely love it, hate it....or love it sometimes and hate it other times

I actually like them silenced...not really the correct wording for this. Putting the t-body in front of the inlet of the charger cuts the blower wine down by about 50+%. I personally think they sound just right this way. The one thing that I always love is the massive torque curve and performance
      Last edited by JBETZ; 05-03-2012 at 02:06 AM.
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      corrado G60 1991
      05-04-2012 04:03 PM #90
      i am so tempted to get this supercharger kit

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 11:10 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by eddy.h View Post
      i am so tempted to get this supercharger kit
      the only regret you will ever have with this kit is selling the car once it's been installed ...or am i the only one who made that mistake?

Vehicles
      corrado G60 1991
      05-08-2012 03:12 PM #92
      not looking to sell my corrado hope to have the money in 4 / 6 weeks

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 04:44 PM #93
      I want to know more about the twin screw 1.8t earlier in this thread. is it the same charger as fitted to the g60's? or is it a bigger charger?
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |

05-09-2012 04:58 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by G60 Carat View Post
      I want to know more about the twin screw 1.8t earlier in this thread. is it the same charger as fitted to the g60's? or is it a bigger charger?
      That was a much larger and very custom set up....made over 400hp to the wheels.
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      2001 B5 S4
      05-09-2012 05:49 PM #95
      I'm now convinced to get a lysholm for my rado. Time to count my pennies...
      In my Corrado, I live my life a quarter mile at a time.. for those 18 seconds or less, I'm free

Quote Originally Posted by 206929rr View Post
      nice find. sell me your foha. im not asking. "this isnt the foha you were looking for" (waves hand jedi like)...

Vehicles
      corrado G60 1991
      05-10-2012 02:36 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by fox-16v View Post
      I'm now convinced to get a lysholm for my rado. Time to count my pennies...
      x2

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 06:56 PM #97
      Now I want a lysholm 1.8t , Ohhh baby thats tasty!

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      05-11-2012 01:30 PM #98
      They named it the "G60" for a reason!

05-11-2012 02:15 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
      They named it the "G60" for a reason!
      There is nothing wrong with running the good ol' trusty g-lader.
      You can safely run 18 psi...even peak at 20 psi reliably with a good g-lader, no problem.
      A much better choice than a turbo on this engine....my opinion.
      But if you really want to rip....nothing will beat a twin screw on this engine.
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado ABA-T and MS3-Pro powered, 84 Honda V65 Sabre
      05-11-2012 03:19 PM #100
      reliability with a G lader now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
      The Professor
      Melbourne, FL
      92 Corrado OBD2 ABA-T (BW EFR 6258) Powered by MS3Pro
      Linfert Performance: The Megasquirt guy in central Florida Like my Facebook page....
      Sandy Linfert 11/4/1991 - 5/13/2013

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 05:46 PM #101
      Wait that much boost with what cam/head work. I've lost a good 2 maybe 3 psi going from a Stock cam to a 272/272. (although the car feels faster, and likes to be reved more)

Lets talk pulley size, what's about the smallest you can safely run up to 6000rpm?

05-11-2012 11:48 PM #102
      my lysholm is over 10 years old. I am honestly not sure of the mileage I am sure its up there. I run a 55mm pulley on it and daily drive it everyday. Its stage 4 I peak at 18lbs of boost but I am losing 2 - 3lbs through the stupid amounts of intercooler piping I have.

I just wish BBM supplied a sticker along the lines of "Yeah..you're right its my power steering pump"

05-12-2012 12:19 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Prof315 View Post
      reliability with a G lader now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
      Reliability, absolutely....we get good g-laders in the shop every single week. Unfortunately we also get some bad ones. These are now over 20 yrs old! I'd call that pretty darn reliable for any forced induction unit to run that long, pretty amazing.
      Just like any form of forced induction, the condition and reliability is greatly affected by the user and maintenance.
      If you run a good air filter that is not rubbing and damaged, the charger will not suck up dirt and wear out prematurely. If you change the oil and keep your boost return misting back into the charger as intended....it will lubricate the apex strips and run strong for a very very long time. The ones the we see broken, worn excessively or damaged are from poor maintenance. Start with a good one, take care of it and get another 20+yrs of reliable run time.
      we share the passion!

05-12-2012 12:27 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by G60 Carat View Post
      Wait that much boost with what cam/head work. I've lost a good 2 maybe 3 psi going from a Stock cam to a 272/272. (although the car feels faster, and likes to be reved more)

Lets talk pulley size, what's about the smallest you can safely run up to 6000rpm?
      Safely run, has many variables... What is the condition of the unit? How hard is it boosted and the car driven? How much time does it stay in boost? What is the maintenance like....another question mark?
      I personally have owned more than a few G60's and have never broken or blown a G60 g-lader. I've ran around with a 58mm. 65mm can be very safe on a good unit....even smaller. Depends on how you treat it. Some people treat G60 PG engines like they are Honda street bike motors and think they should rev the $h1t out of them to the moon. This is not a happy place for the g-lader...bouncing off rev limit a no / no. I shift at 6k and avoid the rev limit. More rpm on this engine is not where the performance is at, grab a gear and use the torque.
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      05-12-2012 12:37 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by JBETZ View Post
      Reliability, absolutely....we get good g-laders in the shop every single week. Unfortunately we also get some bad ones. These are now over 20 yrs old! I'd call that pretty darn reliable for any forced induction unit to run that long, pretty amazing.
      Just like any form of forced induction, the condition and reliability is greatly affected by the user and maintenance.
      If you run a good air filter that is not rubbing and damaged, the charger will not suck up dirt and wear out prematurely. If you change the oil and keep your boost return misting back into the charger as intended....it will lubricate the apex strips and run strong for a very very long time. The ones the we see broken, worn excessively or damaged are from poor maintenance. Start with a good one, take care of it and get another 20+yrs of reliable run time.
      Quote Originally Posted by JBETZ View Post
      Safely run, has many variables... What is the condition of the unit? How hard is it boosted and the car driven? How much time does it stay in boost? What is the maintenance like....another question mark?
      I personally have owned more than a few G60's and have never broken or blown a G60 g-lader. I've ran around with a 58mm. 65mm can be very safe on a good unit....even smaller. Depends on how you treat it. Some people treat G60 PG engines like they are Honda street bike motors and think they should rev the $h1t out of them to the moon. This is not a happy place for the g-lader...bouncing off rev limit a no / no. I shift at 6k and avoid the rev limit. More rpm on this engine is not where the performance is at, grab a gear and use the torque.
      ^^Absolutely agree
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast