VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil change?

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      04-15-2012 08:20 AM #26
      Nice..

Any body change their plugs yet?
      I'm close to 30k and I'm thinking of doing the coil pack and plugs. I can get them for dirt

If so, did you use bosch or ngk?

2. 04-15-2012 11:36 AM #27
      I didn't think plugs were due until 40K, which is weird because my GTI was 25K...
      '09 VW CC Sport, island grey w/tan/black interior. 6 speed manual, Dunlop Direzzas, euro turn signals, audi exhaust tips, GTI pedals, GIAC ecu flash, K&N filter, H&R sport springs, tinted windows, LED license plate bulb, Sylvania ZXE headlights/foglights, AWE turbo pipe, Forge short shift kit, Forge blow off valve

3. 04-15-2012 01:02 PM #28
      also why change the coil packs if they're not failing?
      '09 VW CC Sport, island grey w/tan/black interior. 6 speed manual, Dunlop Direzzas, euro turn signals, audi exhaust tips, GTI pedals, GIAC ecu flash, K&N filter, H&R sport springs, tinted windows, LED license plate bulb, Sylvania ZXE headlights/foglights, AWE turbo pipe, Forge short shift kit, Forge blow off valve

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC lux
      04-15-2012 04:29 PM #29
      Can someone please direct me to a site where I can purchase one of those magnetic drain plugs? I'm going to purchase a ramp and oil drain pan from autozone. I might as well start doing the oil changes myself. Do you guys move that wire that's over the filter or can I take the filter out without moving the wire?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=475368_0_0_

What do you guys use?

Also, what size wrench do you use to unplug the drain plug?
      Last edited by Sammzway; 04-15-2012 at 04:39 PM.
      Don't lose your motivation or dream.

Vehicles
      '12 Urano Gray CC R-Line 6MT
      04-16-2012 01:48 PM #30
      ecstuning.com

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      04-16-2012 03:35 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post

I don't see a reason to chance it, especially at only .21 cents each, and the dealer replaces the OEM drain plug with the crush washer on the oil changes as well, per VW

"Since they crush and distort slightly as the drain plug is tightened, it is wise to install a fresh washer as part of every oil change."

So....
      I don't trust my local VW dealer anymore to do my oil changes. The first oil change they partially stripped my plug (I found out since I changed it myself the second time). They also put a 3,500 mile interval sticker on my windshield??? They probably stuck conventional oil in it too. I went to buy the filter from their service desk and asked for the replacement washers as well and the guy didn't stock them and seemed pretty clueless about them. He was the regular parts guy too.

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      04-16-2012 04:27 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Sammzway View Post
      Can someone please direct me to a site where I can purchase one of those magnetic drain plugs? I'm going to purchase a ramp and oil drain pan from autozone. I might as well start doing the oil changes myself. Do you guys move that wire that's over the filter or can I take the filter out without moving the wire?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=475368_0_0_

What do you guys use?

Also, what size wrench do you use to unplug the drain plug?
      It's actually a rubber hose....you just put the filter wrench underneath the hose and then put your ratchet on the filter wrench....the hose lifts/moves/flexes out of the way easily

As for the drain plug....either 18mm or 19mm....some guys have had different sizes from the factory.

My OEM replacement bolt is 19mm though
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      04-16-2012 04:28 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by mtm_cc View Post
      I don't trust my local VW dealer anymore to do my oil changes. The first oil change they partially stripped my plug (I found out since I changed it myself the second time). They also put a 3,500 mile interval sticker on my windshield??? They probably stuck conventional oil in it too. I went to buy the filter from their service desk and asked for the replacement washers as well and the guy didn't stock them and seemed pretty clueless about them. He was the regular parts guy too.
      Well then I don't blame you there....they don't sound like they know what they're doing there

As for the washers....they don't sell them by themselves.
      You can only get the OEM replacement bolt with the washer on it for ~$2....doesn't come off (unless you cut it off)
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, Candy White
      04-16-2012 04:56 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      Just because you can or want to do something your way, doesn't mean it's the right way
      Oh I see...just because the manufacturer says replace a little washer and NOT doing so has NEVER caused a leak, makes it "MY" way and therefore wrong. I bet you 99% of the time VW or any other place does the oil change they don't change the washer.

The simple fact is, not doing so EVERY oil change will not cause any harm or leaks. Now the time I tighten down my plug and it leaks, it gets a new washer.

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      04-16-2012 04:58 PM #35
      If it works for you...then good deal

Whatever gets the job done I suppose
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12