VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

oil change?

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  snobrdrdan 
#1 ·
Anyone do their own oil change yet? Seems super easy with the top mounted oil filter...car just hit 36K and I think I'm going to tackle the next one on my own....

#3 ·
I do the oil change myself, super easy, except sometime between 2010 and 2012 they changed the oilpan drain plug from a standard hex-bolt to a recessed allen or star-drive socket. I will just change the plug for a magnetic drain plug, like I did on my 2010.

#7 ·
This car has to be the easiest to change the oil on.

Filter is ~$10-12 & the drain plug bolt is ~$2 from the dealer

Warm up the engine a little.
Park the car on ramps.
Undo the drain plug bolt.
Unscrew the oil filter a little (to let it drain a little bit)
Remove old oil filter
Lube up seal on new oil filter & screw on new oil filter & tighten it down
Install NEW drain plug bolt or washer (the OEM one is NOT reusable!--it has a crush washer on it)
Fill up with 4.5-4.8 quarts of your favorite synthetic oil :thumbup:

Everyone thinks the oil filter size is 76mm, BUT 75mm is the correct size.
Especially when the dealer overtightens the oil filter...the 76mm will just slip right off!

Here's what I have:

#12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, yeah I'm actually looking forward to doing them again. Not allot of faith in other people working on my car. ;)

#13 ·
What is the going rate for synthetic oil now? Been wanting to start doing my own changes and not giving the dealer $80-$100 for oil changes on our VW's.

#27 ·
I didn't think plugs were due until 40K, which is weird because my GTI was 25K...

#28 ·
also why change the coil packs if they're not failing?

#29 · (Edited)
Can someone please direct me to a site where I can purchase one of those magnetic drain plugs? I'm going to purchase a ramp and oil drain pan from autozone. I might as well start doing the oil changes myself. Do you guys move that wire that's over the filter or can I take the filter out without moving the wire?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...drain-pan/_/N-25yj?itemIdentifier=475368_0_0_

What do you guys use?

Also, what size wrench do you use to unplug the drain plug?

#32 ·
It's actually a rubber hose....you just put the filter wrench underneath the hose and then put your ratchet on the filter wrench....the hose lifts/moves/flexes out of the way easily

As for the drain plug....either 18mm or 19mm....some guys have had different sizes from the factory.

My OEM replacement bolt is 19mm though :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.