Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JDs archives: The $64,000 paint job

1. 04-10-2012 02:01 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Folks don't generally restore 40 year old Ferraris and mod them, though. At the same time you could treat it differently than a track rat without putting it on a pedestal. There is a happy medium.

This kind of thing is only for those that have enough money that they don't have to take it seriously. If I spent all of my retirement money on restoring a Ferrari and something happened to it, yeah, I'd be screwed. If I had $100,000,000.00 in the bank I think I'd be OK with spending $200k on a Ferrari restoration.
      If you don't take it seriously, why not mod out a classic?

I agree there is a happy medium, but that medium does not lie within a $64,000+ paint job.

I get what you mean about them not noticing the cost, but that's what is so gross about this to me, the level of excess is borderline hubris

2. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      04-10-2012 02:04 PM #37
      This kind of thing is only for those that have enough money that they don't have to take it seriously.
      I saw a lot of that in the Middle East last year. We think that $100,000 for a paint job is a lot of money. There are people who make that amount of profit in a DAY. For them it's not a matter of if the Ferrari should be painted and how much it will cost. A $100,000 paint job is merely the cost of maintenance. When they pay for it their checking account won't go down by a blip. It would be like you or me having to justify paying for a can of soda. We won't notice a difference in 50 cents anymore than they will notice the difference in $100,000.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      04-10-2012 05:14 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack-the-Tripper View Post
      Now i have seen only a few Testa rossa's but to say that they are not well painted is stupid..
      Every one I've seen has quite a bit of factory orange peel. Especially on the sides. The Lambos I've seen were much better. As originally a custom painter by trade, it's something I notice.

Now on the article...painter applies gallon after gallon paint on the car....then rubs it down again and buffs it to a high gloss...wich is about the same as they did in the Ferrrari factory.(Albeit with not such heavy layers of paint)

Also, gallon after gallon paint on a car can be a recipe for future disaster...paint cures slowly when thick layers are applied...
      If you actually read it, there was time in between the coats. In fact, up to a week in between. much of the paint is actually removed in the sanding/polishing process, so there isn't THAT much left on the car.

But then again, if one has the money and is willing to spend..[/QUOTE]
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

4. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-10-2012 05:19 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by tasty danish View Post
      If you don't take it seriously, why not mod out a classic?
      "Respect the classics, man!" [/Fillmore]

Quote Originally Posted by tasty danish View Post
      I agree there is a happy medium, but that medium does not lie within a $64,000+ paint job.

I get what you mean about them not noticing the cost, but that's what is so gross about this to me, the level of excess is borderline hubris
      By "medium" I simply mean that you don't have to let it sit and only look at it and you don't have to thrash it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-10-2012 05:20 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      I saw a lot of that in the Middle East last year...
      There are times that I don't have that 50 on me, though!

6. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-10-2012 05:22 PM #41
      There are times that I don't have that 50 on me, though!
      Ditto. I hate using the debit card for a freaking can of soda. Physical cash and coins are such a thing of the past. FWIW I still have some 'pogs' from Iraq as well as money on my Eagle Cash card.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      04-10-2012 05:40 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by RS4PD View Post
      This.

And I feel really old reading the article but pretty impressed I remember a lot of it.

Thanks for posting.
      As do I with all these "archives" posts... I remember this article but I wasn't old enough to appreciate it, so it's cool to read it again now.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

8. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-11-2012 08:22 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      Ditto. I hate using the debit card for a freaking can of soda. Physical cash and coins are such a thing of the past. FWIW I still have some 'pogs' from Iraq as well as money on my Eagle Cash card.

obin
      Yep. Even going to get breakfast at Burger King (or whatever fast food place you prefer) is sad when you don't have the $3.59 for the meal in cash!

Vehicles
      '79 Volvo 242 project car, '93 Volvo 945, '05 SAAB 9-5
      04-11-2012 04:12 PM #44
      Thanks for posting these, they are great.
      "Anything measured in grams is infinitely more exciting than something measured in pounds" - JC
      1979 Volvo 242dl barn car save. Volvo b230ft engine swap, t5z trans, Holset HX35, megasquirt.
      http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290558

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 04:27 PM #45
      A thread that has a lot in common with this one:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=280041

How to do a restoration/paint job right.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      04-11-2012 04:35 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      yup, only uber rich guys (1% of the 1%) can afford to track and wreck their million dollar ferraris
      there an after shot of this?

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 04:39 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      there an after shot of this?
      Yup.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ferra...#photo-2211463

More photos and videos here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/17/v...r-crashing-at/

Vehicles
      Mk2 Sheepmobile w/ a 3.2 24V poser swap
      04-11-2012 04:57 PM #48
      Lot of people read this and just don't get it. Same topic came up on the HAMB a few months ago and it about started a war.

There really are people who can't tell the difference between a $1000 paint job, and a $100,000 paint job. But those guys aren't a problem, because you never see them. They go to Maaco or One-Day Paint (or roller their car with Rustoleum 'cause the guy in Hot Rod mag did it and it turned out awesome).

The problem is the ones who can tell the difference and expect the $100,000 paint job for $1000.
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.9..16vTurbo View Post
      you should stick to that car your trying to paint

14. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 05:23 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6swap View Post
      The problem is the ones who can tell the difference and expect the $100,000 paint job for $1000.
      That reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife about a year ago regarding composite repairs on cars. She wanted to know if I could use my aircraft skills repairing people's hot rods, exotics, and street rods. I could repair cracked carbon fiber, fiberglass, kevlar, etc without a problem... except the fact that most people are cheapskates. A seamless composite repair which is just as strong as the original isn't quick, cheap, or necessarily easy. I told her I would have no problem fixing these cracked parts on cars but I already know how people would react to the quotes.

Cheapskate car owner: "So you're telling me that the work will only take you 5 hours to do but I can't have my car back for a week?!?"
      Me: "You want it at full cure and seamless? Yeah that is what I am telling you."
      Cheapskate car owner: "How much will it cost?"
      Me: "It's going to cost ME no less than $100 in consumables and you're still going to have to pay someone else at least $1,000 to paint it."

I avoided the headache altogether as it's not worth spending the thousands of dollars on equipment and all my free time. Maybe for when I retire but not for now. Finding the people who truly care about their cars to get quality work done can be tough. Some people simply don't understand that these sorts of jobs are often a labor of love.

obin

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      04-11-2012 05:35 PM #50
      Cool article. Seams a bit low for a such a job.
      I fail to see how that's expensive or the car isn't drivable afterwards
      Expensive might be buying a competing corporation to establish monopoly... Expensive is overthrowing a leader of small country and bribing the rest, so you can traffic something in and out of the area. Paying for senators to pass your legislature is expensive. Or the presidential seat in the US government - now that's expensive. This paint job is pocket change for the target market.

Vehicles
      Mk2 Sheepmobile w/ a 3.2 24V poser swap
      04-11-2012 06:07 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      Cool article. Seams a bit low for a such a job.
      I fail to see how that's expensive or the car isn't drivable afterwards
      Expensive might be buying a competing corporation to establish monopoly... Expensive is overthrowing a leader of small country and bribing the rest, so you can traffic something in and out of the area. Paying for senators to pass your legislature is expensive. Or the presidential seat in the US government - now that's expensive. This paint job is pocket change for the target market.
      Man, you can tell it's an election year by the way errbody brings politics into errthang.

The 64K paint job article was published almost 20 years ago and was written well before that.

Twenty years ago, $64,000 was an extraordinary amount of money to spray a car and still is, BUT, what gets lost in the translation is that Junior was doing more of a restoration than a simple bodywork and paint deal.

To bring it up to date, last I heard Junior was about $95 an hour for resto work (and was booked up through next year), Buggs is about $150 / hr, Pete Finlan (AKA Hot Dog) about the same, and So-Cal Speed Shop was the bargain at $85 / hr. A full-on respray can eat up pretty close to 1,000 shop hours if the car is rough or needs a lot in the way of panel replacement / repair. Just labor BTW, materials aren't included.

I used to be one of "those guys" that cry about how much paint and body work cost, and a lot of my projects never made it to paint because of that. Then later years when I had a little more money to work with it was either Maaco, or the guys who wanted 5K with not much in-between. So I still couldn't seem to get one into the booth.

When I started doing my own work was when I finally figured out why these guys were so high-priced. Bodywork and paint is pretty serious business, it's expensive and time-consuming, and it's not fun when sh*t goes wrong, which it does sometimes even with years of experience.

Now for me the shoe's on the other foot, and when I get somebody coming at me wanting their car sprayed I can piss them off by quoting some astronomical price because really I don't want to take on customer work anyway.
      Last edited by vr6swap; 04-11-2012 at 07:18 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.9..16vTurbo View Post
      you should stick to that car your trying to paint

04-11-2012 06:45 PM #52
      If I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy a 308 get it painted by these guys and then vinyl wrap it in flat black yo.

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      04-11-2012 07:36 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6swap View Post
      Man, you can tell it's an election year by the way errbody brings politics into errthang.
      I bring politics into everything because it's the reality of life. Not just once every 4 years.

Vehicles
      Haro Backtrail X2
      04-11-2012 07:43 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      I love the "Download Wallpaper" button available for each picture. Priceless.
      Last edited by HolyRollie; 04-11-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      04-11-2012 09:32 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      yup, only uber rich guys (1% of the 1%) can afford to track and wreck their million dollar ferraris
      any aftermath pics of this?
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      04-11-2012 10:30 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      any aftermath pics of this?
      -------

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      04-11-2012 10:48 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post