Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Books to read to kids who are learning to read

1. Member
      04-09-2012 10:38 PM #1
      I know, a different kind of thread that doesn't apply to everyone. Suck it up and press on...

I was an "advanced" student in elementary school, having learned to read earlier in life, and having a better vocabulary than my class mates, largely because my parents read to me from a early age (IMHO).

My mom started me with sight words and the basics from age 4, but they started reading 'word-only' books to me at age 5, starting with The Chronicles of Narnia. I had no real chance of actually reading these books myself, but it sparked a desire to learn and ask questions about words/phrases I was unfamiliar with.

I just started reading "Indian in the Cupboard" to my 5 year old daughter, one chapter a night with her looking over my shoulder.

So if you can relate at all to what I'm talking about, or have memories or current practices that relate, what books (specifically) did you have read to you or that you read to your child?

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      04-11-2012 01:46 PM #2
      I had a similar experience growing up. I was read to from an early age and would inhale books on my own once I started reading on my own. The first adult novel I read was Moby Dick in the third grade. In the third grade I was tested and my reading comprehension was at a tenth grade level. I will definitely carry on that tradition when I have kids.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

3. 04-11-2012 04:11 PM #3
      My father would read Greek mythology to me when I was younger. Definitely started the reading bug early on.

Got my youngest nephew reading by getting him The BFG by Roald Dahl. If a person completes a book for pure enjoyment, I think they will continue reading for the rest of their life.

Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      04-18-2012 09:39 AM #4
      I started reading really early, so early that no one believed that I was actually reading. I remember wanting to read anything that was on Reading Rainbow. My favorite childhood book was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. I still read it from time to time and tried to introduce it to my 8 yo who is an avid reader but she is stuck on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I would like to read Harry Potter with her over the summer. For the little one (now 21 mos) we read her whatever is laying around. She will bring books to us and tell us to read them. I am a big fan of Eric Carle and Dr. Suess...you can't go wrong with some Dr. Suess!

I really believe that if you have books out in your house, and you read to and in front of your kids, they will pick it up. I have found the big one with my New Yorker more than once, pouring over the fiction. A bit above her pay grade, but hey. At least she will be classy!

Vehicles
      2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
      05-03-2012 11:16 AM #5
      I started reading Harry Potter to my eldest son when he was 5. My youngest son is now 5 as well, but doesn't seem to be as interested in passive listening. He's more involved in reading.

Vehicles
      1969 ProStreet Camaro 1995 4runner 1996 brown camry,1985VW golf 8V GTI(gone)
      06-04-2012 04:32 PM #6
      We read to our kids every night starting around 2 years of age.My oldest now nine years old and finishing third grade has read complete Star Wars trilogy , and Indiana Jones .Now Starting Harry potter books all on his own . My daughter who is finishing kindergarden is at second greade level .