Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have luck with aftermarket speedo/odo combo?

Vehicles
      93 2dr---88 wagon---79 Jimmy
      04-10-2012 12:33 AM #1
      Ive decided that not only would taking my speedo apart to fix the odo be a pain in the ass, but it could still
      fail again? I don't want my mileage to be off any more than it is since it started bein stupid. So my question to everyone is: Have you installed a working aftmkt speedo/odo gauge? What size do we need? Mechanical or electrical? How did it work out? Pics?
      Autometer sells some really cool ones, and they are reasonable. VDO has some sweet ones too, but they are a little more pricey.

2. 04-11-2012 04:34 AM #2
      I have been working on it for a while now. I want to get rid of the spedo cable witch means changing over to a electronic spedo. Witch means adding a VSS. I am looking at using a mk3 VSS (it is a gear driven VSS. Would have to do custom work to get it in our fox Trans. Or get a VSS and sender off of a Audi that used the same size diff. The sending unit is a ring that goes on the diff replacing the speedo drive gear.

Vehicles
      1989 VW Fox 2-door (sold), 1979 VW Dasher 4-door(sold), 1988 VW Fox wagon
      04-11-2012 05:11 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Banned wagon View Post
      I have been working on it for a while now. I want to get rid of the spedo cable witch means changing over to a electronic spedo. Witch means adding a VSS. I am looking at using a mk3 VSS (it is a gear driven VSS. Would have to do custom work to get it in our fox Trans. Or get a VSS and sender off of a Audi that used the same size diff. The sending unit is a ring that goes on the diff replacing the speedo drive gear.
      I really hope this can be worked out. I would love to have an accurate non bouncy speedo!

Vehicles
      88 Fox Gl
      04-11-2012 05:43 AM #4
      Here here! I would love to hear someone succeed in building the working speedo.
      I would just be happy putting in an after market tach. But thats going to have to wait untill i rip the dash out to do the heater core job.

See thats how you know its a Fox,
      Heater doesnt work, Car fills with water, and the speedo's busted. lol

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 06:42 PM #5
      Hell yea, so we just have to figure out how to replace the speedo cable/drive gear with a vss?
      That doesn't sound too hard. I have all the faith in you banned!

6. 04-12-2012 12:35 AM #6
      yep just need to get this in the trans

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Fox, 1989 Peugeot 505 Wagon rolling shell, 1998 Saturn SL1, (but just while I fix my Fox!)
      04-12-2012 01:20 AM #7
      I like where this is going.....since for now I mainly can tell how fast I'm going by the rpm gauge..

Vehicles
      85 Quantum Wagon, 06 Honda Pilot, 91 Jetta Carat, 00 Passat 2.8
      04-12-2012 05:26 PM #8
      I just downloaded an GPS Speedo app for my phone and use that. My spedo jumps on my quantum, but the odometer still works just fine...

Vehicles
      04-21-2012 03:33 PM #9
      Hmmmm....maybe this isn't as easy as I thought. I'm pretty sure Audi 4000's didn't come with a vss. I
      tried to find one, but speedo cables kept coming up. There's a audi 5000s at the yard, but I don't think it
      would work.

I'm starting to get kinda sad. The fox's odo is at least 200 behind now. Im thinking it would be
      faster to just get a mech. speedo for now. What dimension/ size is our speedo tho?
      Summit racing has cheapies for sale right now for like 30 bucks.

10. 04-21-2012 06:22 PM #10
      There in no simple bolt on swap in true foxer fashion.

What my research is comming up with is a few different ways to make this happen.

1. Make the mk3 mech to electric vss fit in our Trans somehow (this is how mk1-2 guys get it to work)

2. I am seeing some of the newer Audi longatudal Trans have simalar mounting of there vss's as our speedo cable. But to get the vss to work you will have to remove the spedo drive gear off the diff and press on the newer cars reluctor (sp) sender wheHel thing. That may take some machine work if the diff has a differnt size output shafts.

3. Another thought that I have had was to look at the newer gen gol's down south perhaps they have something that will get the job done.

4. Universal after market http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd109.htm
      Last edited by Banned wagon; 04-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.

11. 04-22-2012 12:39 AM #11
      On another note I just bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009GVUG8
      Plan to try it out soon

Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon ...................... 1990 Fox Wagon
      04-22-2012 05:04 PM #12
      Not sure if this moves the conversation forward....

When I bought the Red Wagon from saudades93, John included a project...
      It is an instrument cluster from a later model Parati that has been modded to fit into a Fox Cluster...

I refer to it as John's Crazy Expensive and Complicated Cluster....
      It seems to use a speed sensor.
      It may be one possible solution

13. 04-22-2012 08:49 PM #13
      Cool is that the small black thing with the three wires on it? If so
      Get me more info and pic's (cool) but it still uses the noisy speedo cable. I want to get rid of the cable compleatly

Vehicles
      04-22-2012 10:10 PM #14
      No speedo cable.
      Three wire speed sensor thingy. Three copper wires. And a lot of electrical tape.
      The Part Number for the Sensor that goes into the transmission is
      325 957 827 1
      Made by Siemens VDO
      The cluster seems to bear the number 5X3920823

15. 04-22-2012 11:21 PM #15
      So really important question on that sensor does it use a gear driven output (does it have a input shaft that spins) or does it require a reluctor magnetic type sender on the diff ?

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:02 AM #16
      It seems to have an input shaft.
      There is a square shaft that spins the center of the housing.

17. 04-23-2012 12:15 AM #17
      Nice! Sounds promising. Do you have more info on what year/make/ the gauges are from ?

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:16 AM #18
      Here are some of port-glish instructions that came with the cluster...

John had 2 of these made...

You received 2 panels, each one complete with a sensor that is cut so that you can pass the wires through the fire wall and after connect the sensor that have the same colour, don't interconnect with a different colour as you'll blow the circuit board in the cluster. If your Paratis (plural) must come with a sensor already installed (now that is a guess on his part and it is not the case on any in North America as it is not the same in Brazil, so forget this part of the sentence)! You can connect the sensor in place of the speedo cable on the transmission and just connect the wires accordingly by colour to the wires that are coming from the new panel with the same colour and size.

To understand if your sensor is functioning perfectly connect the yellow wire to the middle wire central. (As I understand there is a second wire connector on the back of the existing panel that has 3 wires, that is the one I believe they are referring to. You can verify that in the manual that I sent you. The central wire is always the signal wire. It is this that transforms the mechanical signal (RPM, etc.) to an electrical signal and sends it to the panel.

On your panel no. 1, the wire red is the positive, the yellow is the signal wire, that must be connected to the middle wire of the sensor. The wire brown is the negative. Caution! Do not connect the red wire to the middle wire of the sensor as it will blow everything.

Part 1: Other wires
      PARTE 2: Outros fios

You will perceive that 3 wires on the harness exist, 2 are together. These 2 are the wires of the blinkers in the dash for turn signals. You must test each side to determine the right and left side and connect appropriately. I think that they are the colour green/black trace or black/white trace. There exists on wire the has 3 colours (green/black/white). This is the wire for the 4 way flasher.
      Don't use this one to connect to the individual flashers.
      One other wire is by itself, separate from the others. It is the Emergency Hand Brake.

Part 3 : The center alarm/annunciator board (the small square area in between the speedo and the tach)
      Parte 3 : Placa

The panel has an annuciator board. This board in the dash cluster is connected to your car via the large plug. When you turn on the ignition, you'll notice that the panel lights will all go on. If you turn it on and it does not illuminate completely, try turning over the connector on the back of the panel and plug it in again (large connector).

Part 4 : RPM
      Parte 4 : RPM

When you turn on the panel (start the engine), you will know if the signal (rpm) is functioning erratically. The happens because of the electrical signal for the rpm is dirty. To correct this, go to the distributor of the motor (same car). Verify the negative pole, it is a red wire. Remove the wire. You should be able to see if the RPM stops working entirely. You must connect this wire to the red wire on the side of the distributor connector directly and not the harness. This plug has the red wire in the middle or central. Now this I assume depends on the type ignition you are running in you Fox (CIS or Motronic)? But the wire should be the same in any case, red! This way, the RPM will function perfectly with a clean signal!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Hopefully I haven't made things murkier with this post....

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:23 AM #19
      I'm not sure but I thought it was from a G3 Parati....
      MMMmmm that's not right. It has a build date of 03/12/03

G4? G5?

Maybe some time on the Brazilian Forums...

Or someone on the Vortex more familiar with the later cars down south...

I found some old emails from John describing it. He says...
      Actually, the clusters are out of the G3 Gol special edition and are somewhat rare with the white face.
      On mine I have no speedo cable to contend with and actually get left and right turn signals. It is fully electronic much the same as the Golf or Jetta 4 is and it is from, I think, about 2002 model Gol. It is much wider than the standard Fox so the instrument bezel has to be reworked.
      Last edited by voxwagen88; 04-23-2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: More info

20. 04-23-2012 12:34 AM #20
      Yea thanks looks like a perfect part for what we need. It is a typical 3 wire vss as far as the electrical goes (that's a good thing) the super cool part is that it is gear driven(no
      Opening the Trans) and a direct fit too boot! If we can find a supplier this would let foxers run aftermarket speedos & and possable newer gauge swaps

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:56 AM #21
      Are any of these the same....

http://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/vw-...ade-golhttp://

The link above is supposed to generate a search for "vw sensor de velocidade gol"
      In mercadolivre... that lets you find stuff like this one...

hmm this looks like a match...
      And used on a ford as well...

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...yalle-novo-_JM
      Last edited by voxwagen88; 04-23-2012 at 01:59 AM.

22. 04-23-2012 01:45 AM #22
      the first link doesn't work for me. the second looks like it might work!

check out this thread

http://forums.projektgerman.com/show... Brazilian-Car

ok this is more the way i want to go

sender ring on the cv

Sender and mount

Last edited by Banned wagon; 04-23-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 04:57 PM #23
      Dang this thread is jumpin! We need to get our hands on some gol3 vss's for real! This thread won't
      die until we have install/completion pics!!!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      04-23-2012 07:37 PM #24
      I can probably get a few of these vss units brought up. How many would be interested?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Fox Coupe, '04 Jetta GLS Wagon TDi, '88 Fox GL Wagon (project)
      04-23-2012 07:40 PM #25
      How a VW Fox Wagon sucked me back in...a build thread

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 08:36 PM #26
      Count me in for sure!

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 10:03 PM #27
      So what kind of gauges are folks dreaming of using on the other end of the sensor?

R

28. 04-23-2012 10:23 PM #28
      437-155 vdo for me

Vehicles
      2004 Golf 2L, 1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      04-23-2012 11:22 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by alaincopter View Post
      I can probably get a few of these vss units brought up. How many would be interested?
      All of us?
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

Vehicles
      92 VW FOX !
      04-24-2012 05:48 AM #30
      Went with airspeed indicator instead. Two air-tubes, pitot tube, custom dash console to install, works with ram air.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 01:10 PM #31
      I'll see what I can do

Would love to run this cluster in my Fox.

Cool thing is that the whole G3 dash and console are almost a direct bolt-on for the Fox as well.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 04:19 PM #32
      So would the speed sensor get you part way to having most of a working Digifiz cluster?
      R

33. 04-28-2012 10:21 PM #33
      Not sure what a digifiz is even? I am looking g to get away from the bouncy noisey inaccurate vw speedos. I plant to use a aftermarket VDO (electronic gauge)

34. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 04:24 PM #34
      Hey folks as some of you know I am currently in Brazil, so today I bought a VSS at a local parts store. Cool unit, attaches right where the speedo cable goes and it does have an input shaft that spins.

To anyone looking to use these in the future: the electrical plug seems to be the same as the one that attaches to the potentiometer on the fuel distributor, and the one that attaches to the ignition distributor also perhaps. So it can be easily found at a JY either from a Fox or another VW.

I am not sure which speedos or clusters these would work with aside from the later Gol model clusters, but it's definitely worth trying it out to see. I searched around in the brazilian forums, but couldn't find anything about using other clusters.

I can ship these up while I'm here, maybe I will post an ad in the classifieds

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Fox Coupe, '04 Jetta GLS Wagon TDi, '88 Fox GL Wagon (project)
      10-01-2012 05:59 PM #35
      wow, nice find Alain!
      How a VW Fox Wagon sucked me back in...a build thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast