Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Premature Rear Brake Light Replacement and other electrical issues

1. 04-10-2012 12:56 AM #1
      I have a 2010 JSW and in the past month, both my rear brake light bulbs went out (not at the same time). In addition, one of the interior door panel lock lights stays on all the time, whether the doors are locked or not. Finally on rare occasions, my Navi system automatically switches radio stations, or goes off altogether and 'resets' itself. The dealer says that the brake bulbs (and other exterior bulbs) routinely need replacement every couple of years and that the Navi problem is because I added a subwoofer. The door panel light is a mystery. My Honda still has the original light bulbs working and it's almost 5 years old. Anyone else experience this?

Vehicles
      '09 sportwagen tdi, '95 e36 m3, '04 530i sport
      04-10-2012 11:49 AM #2
      I had a rear running light/tail light go out less than a year after I bought my car.. I've replaced both now, along with a brake light. I'm not concerned about any of this be 'premature'
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI info, mods, & pics =-=-= 1995 BMW M3 coupe
      driven: The Ridge Motorsports Park, Pacific Raceways, Portland International Raceway, Oregon Raceway Park, Nürburgring Nordschleife, Harris Hill Road

3. 04-10-2012 09:39 PM #3
      Had the bulbs replaced; the service manager assured me that bulb failure every few years is routine for VW. He opined that VW bulbs burn hotter and brighter than Honda's. The door lock light was fixed and due to a faulty latch.

Vehicles
      '04 GTI
      04-10-2012 11:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tAMELING
      Had the bulbs replaced; the service manager assured me that bulb failure every few years is routine for VW. He opined that VW bulbs burn hotter and brighter than Honda's.
      ... what a bunch of

VW bulbs DO NOT burn hotter than other cars. It comes down to the quality in the bulb itself.

I've only had one rear running light (#R10) go out in the 8 years (96 months) of owning this car. Granted, 18 months it has been parked and now just has over 52k miles, but still, 8 years and one bulb has gone out.

I say its the bulbs, unless VW pushes 15V or more to the lights, which is unlikely since the alt only puts out about 14.4 with the car running.

I guess it is possible that the VW electrical system might have something to do with it, but I doubt it. I wonder how bulbs do in Audis and Lambos.
      \\\\\\\\\\\__ >> Hello Kitty Motor Oil <<, it does exist.
      \\\\\\\\\\\_+_MTL changed 19 Nov 11 (good for another 49k)
      \\\\\\\\\\\__Milestones: 60,000mi on 14 Nov 2013

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      04-12-2012 04:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by gti dreamn View Post
      ... what a bunch of

VW bulbs DO NOT burn hotter than other cars. It comes down to the quality in the bulb itself.

I've only had one rear running light (#R10) go out in the 8 years (96 months) of owning this car. Granted, 18 months it has been parked and now just has over 52k miles, but still, 8 years and one bulb has gone out.

I say its the bulbs, unless VW pushes 15V or more to the lights, which is unlikely since the alt only puts out about 14.4 with the car running.

I guess it is possible that the VW electrical system might have something to do with it, but I doubt it. I wonder how bulbs do in Audis and Lambos.
      Voltage has nothing to do with it...

Take your car in for the lock light issue, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about the radio changing stations on its own...if you unhook the sub does it cease?
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      '04 GTI
      04-13-2012 10:39 AM #6
      I find this hard to believe. I am aware of the V=IxR formula, so maybe I should have said current instead of volatage.

In any case, I don't think VW uses bulbs that run hotter than other mfgs. The SM is just making up some BS excuse as to why the bulbs burn out faster.
      \\\\\\\\\\\__ >> Hello Kitty Motor Oil <<, it does exist.
      \\\\\\\\\\\_+_MTL changed 19 Nov 11 (good for another 49k)
      \\\\\\\\\\\__Milestones: 60,000mi on 14 Nov 2013