I couldn't figure out how to properly phrase this in google, so I'm curious if one of you math nuts can explain this to me.
I was calculating percentages of some dice rolls (putting together a game). I am using the following.
1) D4 (four sided dice)
2) D6 (six sided dice)
3) D8 (eight sided dice).
Each dice, when rolled, is "open ended" meaning if a value of 4, 6 or 8 (the highest possible value) is rolled, you may roll the dice again, adding to the original value. This can continue indefinitely.
I am trying to establish the percentage chance of rolling the following values:
The D6 and D8 are quite simple.
4+ = 50%
5+ = 33%
6+ = 16%
7+ = 16% (if a 6 is needed, and rolled, the minimum total will be 7)
4+ = 63%
5+ = 50%
6+ = 38%
7+ = 25%
...now the D4 is what I can't figure out (it's been a few too many years since my last math class).
4+ = 25%
5+ = 25% (Again, if a 4 is needed, and rolled, the minimum value is 5)
6+ = a 25% chance, followed by a 75% chance ---- what overall chance does this equate to?
7+ = a 25% chance, followed by a 50% chance ---- what overall chance does this equate to?
I don't remember the formular to combine two percentage chances into one number - anyone?
PS: Part of me wants to simply say the chance is 75% of 25%...or 18.75% --- but it's not that simple right?