Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 51 to 74 of 74

    Thread: New 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS Revealed, Makes 420HP

    1. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Posts
      2,204
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-10-2012 05:33 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Excuse me, as the owner of a "real" Porsche(albiet a broken one), let me explain to you a little something about Porsche.

      What Porsche does best is take something that ought not work, and make it work insanely well. The 356, especially the Pre-A cars, was heavily related to the Beetle..
      Yes that's the way it should be. Ferdinand Porsche wanted to base a light weight sports car off his own creation. He certainly wasn't thinking about building a fat ass, luxo barge off it back then CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

    2. Member teutonicgoodness's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2003
      Location
      New York, NY
      Posts
      2,518
      Vehicles
      MTA Metro Card, Zipcar
      04-10-2012 05:35 PM #52
      Red: yes

      Lime Green: no

    3. Member BattleRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2007
      Location
      Albany, NY
      Posts
      7,677
      Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      04-10-2012 05:42 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      Yes that's the way it should be. Ferdinand Porsche wanted to base a light weight sports car off his own creation. He certainly wasn't thinking about building a fat ass, luxo barge off it back then CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!
      Excuse me? It's not like they made an SUV out of a 911. They applied Porsche TO the SUV concept. They did the Porsche thing very well.

      Let's not forget that Ferdinand Porsche was also responsible for tanks, tank turrets, the first hybrid automobile, the beetle, a whole bunch of other forgotten rear engined compact cars. I don't think it's up to you to suppose what he might have wanted or not wanted. I'm saying that the Cayenne is an SUV by the Porsche principle.

      Also, compare a 356 to virtually any of its contemporaries. Roll up windows? Sound deadening? You won't find those on an MGA or Triumph TR2. Porsche didn't like to let their vehicle's occupants suffer
      1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

      #FREEPATRIKMAN

      BattleRabbit takes Pictures!

    4. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      WNoVA
      Posts
      29,262
      Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-10-2012 05:45 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Excuse me? It's not like they made an SUV out of a 911. They applied Porsche TO the SUV concept. They did the Porsche thing very well.

      Let's not forget that Ferdinand Porsche was also responsible for tanks, tank turrets, the first hybrid automobile, the beetle, a whole bunch of other forgotten rear engined compact cars. I don't think it's up to you to suppose what he might have wanted or not wanted. I'm saying that the Cayenne is an SUV by the Porsche principle.

      Also, compare a 356 to virtually any of its contemporaries. Roll up windows? Sound deadening? You won't find those on an MGA or Triumph TR2. Porsche didn't like to let their vehicle's occupants suffer
      How dare you use reason and facts!!
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

    5. Member BattleRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2007
      Location
      Albany, NY
      Posts
      7,677
      Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      04-10-2012 06:04 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      How dare you use reason and facts!!
      For the sake of balancing out the universe: "needs moar low and a nevAr lose dood."
      1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

      #FREEPATRIKMAN

      BattleRabbit takes Pictures!

    6. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Posts
      2,204
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-10-2012 06:13 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post

      Also, compare a 356 to virtually any of its contemporaries. Roll up windows? Sound deadening? You won't find those on an MGA or Triumph TR2. Porsche didn't like to let their vehicle's occupants suffer
      You're really walking off the ledge to defend the bastardization of Porsche here. Now the question is why does this remind of Cubby fans defending Sammy Sosa when he was obviously taking steroids?

    7. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      WNoVA
      Posts
      29,262
      Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-10-2012 06:21 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      You're really walking off the ledge to defend the bastardization of Porsche here.
      Please tell us all about the illustrious Porsche family... You seem to know so much about their engineering feats and everything they have ever worked on.

      You'd better write a memo about your views and submit it to the company - they might not be aware of what they are "supposed to be."
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

    8. 04-10-2012 06:32 PM #58
      looks like a built-in joey mod , kool

    9. Banned Tiny4cyl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2011
      Posts
      1,494
      Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      04-10-2012 10:26 PM #59
      Clicked to see a bunch of 420 jokes, only saw one, leaving ****ing disappointed

    10. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,727
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-11-2012 09:43 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Excuse me, as the owner of a "real" Porsche(albiet a broken one), let me explain to you a little something about Porsche.

      What Porsche does best is take something that ought not work, and make it work insanely well. The 356, especially the Pre-A cars, was heavily related to the Beetle. The beetle was not a car with sporting intentions. It made very little power, and the handling could be a bit spooky. Nonetheless, Porsche took the basic idea of it and made a sports car, and a very good one at that. 356s often get classed into higher displacement classes for vintage racing because they simply go and change direction better than they ought to. The 911 took the 356 idea and turned it to 11, then 12(911 RS), then 15(930), then 27(997 GT2 RS).

      Fast forward to the early 2000s, and Porsche is looking to expand their product line. They add an SUV, but they wanted one that could do everything. The Cayenne can be used offroad, and it(for a stock unibody SUV, and not so much the GTS) is very capable. As it happens though, it also goes like the clappers. It is a format that shouldn't work, but with the GTS Porsche took something that shouldn't do what a sport sedan can do, and made it do that anyways. It's Porsche being Porsche just as they always have been. Just because it is an SUV and you don't like SUVs, that doesn't make it not a Porsche.

      I hate to tell you, but there are people out there who hate track-day-loving, back-roads-hooning, sports car lovers as much as you hate tall "yuppie mobiles." Porsche has always made Porsches, and will for the foreseeable future. The Cayenne is a real Porsche, and I'm happy that it exists. May it rip about with alacrity on all surfaces until people stop buying them.

    11. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,727
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-11-2012 09:46 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post
      Clicked to see a bunch of 420 jokes, only saw one, leaving ****ing disappointed
      Well, the car in the photos is green... (tongue in cheek?)

    12. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,066
      04-11-2012 09:51 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      You're really walking off the ledge to defend the bastardization of Porsche here.
      It doesn't need defended, though some are, as the product speaks for itself.

      Tell me now, do you have similar feelings about Cadillac creating a station wagon?

    13. Member paradigmGT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2004
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      3,175
      Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      04-11-2012 09:29 PM #63
      well its still ugly, juts like every other cayenne made.
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

    14. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Posts
      2,204
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-12-2012 09:12 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      It doesn't need defended, though some are, as the product speaks for itself.

      Tell me now, do you have similar feelings about Cadillac creating a station wagon?
      I'll give other automakers credit for sticking with what made them what they are or not going so far off the beaten path. Geez Brian could have said the same thing about grocery getting POS Porsche as he did the Hummers here:

    15. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,727
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-13-2012 09:10 AM #65
      Okay, nothing to see here. Case closed. He brought out a Family Guy clip to support his argument. He just won the internet.

    16. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,066
      04-13-2012 09:16 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Okay, nothing to see here. Case closed. He brought out a Family Guy clip to support his argument. He just won the internet.
      Haha.

    17. 04-13-2012 09:25 AM #67
      How would this thing stack up against a Jeep SRT8 AROUND A TRACK... Jeep is more powerful and lighter right?

    18. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Posts
      2,204
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-13-2012 12:59 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Okay, nothing to see here. .
      Except somebody else who feels the same way about the stupidity of vehicles such as your Cayenne grocery getter.

    19. Member boner's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2002
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      3,243
      Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer
      04-13-2012 01:15 PM #69
      still looks like a bag of smashed @$$holes.

    20. Member omoderncultureo's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2011
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      2,640
      04-25-2012 04:44 PM #70





    21. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,727
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-26-2012 09:44 AM #71
      I would allow that red one to come home with me

    22. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      41,608
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-26-2012 10:49 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      Owned both Pepper & Touareg, and have seat time in the new JGC. Only in TCL is the JGC > Cayenne
      Oh, JGC < Cayenne for sure....assuming that price is absolutely no object. But when is it ever not? The JGC SRT-8 is $20k less expensive and offers most of the performance.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    23. 04-26-2012 11:11 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Oh, JGC < Cayenne for sure....assuming that price is absolutely no object. But when is it ever not? The JGC SRT-8 is $20k less expensive and offers most of the performance.
      So the next time someone posts about, say, a 917, we should really be talking about an S2000? Riiiight.

      I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of JGC being brought into almost every single Pepper/Touareg thread - why not toss the JGC into every conversation?

    24. Member MatchStick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      6,618
      Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      04-26-2012 11:30 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      So the next time someone posts about, say, a 917, we should really be talking about an S2000? Riiiight.

      I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of JGC being brought into almost every single Pepper/Touareg thread - why not toss the JGC into every conversation?
      The Porsche "Pepper" (douchechills) - the 917 of SUVs...

    25. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      41,608
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-26-2012 12:00 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      So the next time someone posts about, say, a 917, we should really be talking about an S2000? Riiiight.

      I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of JGC being brought into almost every single Pepper/Touareg thread - why not toss the JGC into every conversation?
      Why is that absurd? None of us, to my knowledge, occupy an economic stratum where $20k is meaningless, and I don't care what the car is, competitors and their various value propositions nearly always come into discussions around here. Like it or not, the SRT-8 is similar enough to the Cayenne that comparing and contrasting the two is not unreasonable. They're very similar cars with very similar missions and the comparison is natural, just like the CTS-V vs the M5 or the regular JGC vs. the Touareg. It's not that we "should" be talking about the SRT-8, but getting all crabby when somebody brings up one of the few other 400hp+ hot rod SUVs on the market is a bit oversensitive, eh?
      Last edited by Turbio!; 04-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •