Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: WTF.... Why did Audi put such craptacular tires on this thing?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-10-2012 08:38 AM #1
      When I took delivery of my base model TT back in late November, I only drove on the OEM tires for two days before swapping over to my winter tire setup. I enjoyed the Dunplop SP Wintersport 3D's all the way thru mid March, at which time I swapped back to my summer setup. Unforunately, I had gotten used to the comfortable ride the winter tires provided.

If you think the stock tires on the TTRS are bad, you have no idea how craptacular the OEM tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, are on the base TT. When I get out of the car after a commute, I need to look at them because I honestly think I'm going to see wood grain rather than rubber. They are spectacularly horrible tires. Every single miniscule crack in the road results in a Ka-PING, Ka-PING. It's so loud it makes my ears hurt.

These tires will forever go down in history as the worst excuse for new car tires. Why doesn't Bridgestone just take this crap off of the market already? And, SHAME on Audi, a luxury brand, for putting wooden wagon wheels on a $43,000 car.

I really want to get some value out of these tires just to satisfy my sense of economic responsibility, but GAWD I want those things off of my car right now.
      Last edited by MoreGooderTT; 04-10-2012 at 10:57 AM.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      04-10-2012 08:44 AM #2
      I typically only get 2 summer seasons out of my tires and that's how I rationalized unloading my OEM wheels with tires after 1 season. Perhaps you can rationalize selling the set of tires for a couple hundred bucks and never look back ? FYI, a nice set of lighter hi po summers (NOT run flats!) will make you smile again ...
      For Sale: Milltek exhaust with Milltek down pipe from my TTS

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-10-2012 08:51 AM #3
      What do you mean by "lighter hi po summers?"
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      04-10-2012 09:09 AM #4
      "Weight is not your friend ..." Tire Rack lists the weight of all tires. Bridgestone, as an example, are typically heavier likely due to thick sidewalls so turn in repsponse is great but weight affects the ride, handling and accelleration. Known tires that are lighter are Michelin Super Sports or the Conti DW and the benefits are noticeable although some do not like the "mushier feel" which can relate to a "delayed" steering feel. I'm on the Cont DW now and along with a lighter wheel, I run with mag ride turned on 100% of the time without the noise and jarring ride that I had on the OEM setup.
      Last edited by Stevelev; 04-10-2012 at 09:16 AM.

5. Member
      04-10-2012 09:36 AM #5
      Does the base model TT come with RunFlats?

- Jeremy -

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-10-2012 09:53 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevelev View Post
      "Weight is not your friend ..." Tire Rack lists the weight of all tires. Bridgestone, as an example, are typically heavier likely due to thick sidewalls so turn in repsponse is great but weight affects the ride, handling and accelleration. Known tires that are lighter are Michelin Super Sports or the Conti DW and the benefits are noticeable although some do not like the "mushier feel" which can relate to a "delayed" steering feel. I'm on the Cont DW now and along with a lighter wheel, I run with mag ride turned on 100% of the time without the noise and jarring ride that I had on the OEM setup.
      I've been researching tires on TireRack.com extensively. Yup, Bridgestones are heavy by compairson. Dunlops are supposedly harder to balance. Michelins are expensive but highly rated. Those are the generalizations I've picked up. I've also learned to search for 93Y load rating rather than 97Y. There's no point in putting a tire capable of supporting more load than required by Audi.

I actually love my stock Audi wheels. I love the look of them, and I also need a strong wheel to cope with the roads in my area.

BTW, Continental is discontinuing the ExtremeContact DW's. They're on closeout right now, but I'm not ready to buy since I have so few miles on these aweful Bridgstones. I chatted with someone at Tirerack about this. They are coming out with an improved version with stiffer sidewalls, which is precisely what I don't want. I want my daily driver to be a sporty yet comfortable ride (which is why I bought the magnetic ride option), but I don't want a track-ready racer.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-10-2012 09:54 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      Does the base model TT come with RunFlats?

- Jeremy -
      No. Bridgeston Pocrapsa RE050A.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      04-10-2012 10:39 AM #8
      While I agree they suck if you're worried about ride comfort and noise, unfortunately just about any max performance summer tire is going to offer the same characteristics. I'd look for a nice set of HP all seasons

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      04-10-2012 10:54 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      While I agree they suck if you're worried about ride comfort and noise, unfortunately just about any max performance summer tire is going to offer the same characteristics. I'd look for a nice set of HP all seasons
      I agree with you in principle. But, while scouring Tirerack reviews, it appears that these particular tires really do stand out as the hardest, roughest, noisiest ride in that performance category. I fully expect to have less bone jarring and eardrum rattling when I ditch these.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008/VW/R23
      04-10-2012 12:23 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      These tires will forever go down in history as the worst excuse for new car tires. Why doesn't Bridgestone just take this crap off of the market already? And, SHAME on Audi, a luxury brand, for putting wooden wagon wheels on a $43,000 car.
      I inquired about the tires for the 2013 TTRS. The dealer basically said that tires are hard to predict because it basically depends on which tire maker has a deal with Audi at the time. In other words, they are not necessarily interested in putting the BEST tires on the car, just the most appropriate tires based on the manufacturer that they have a deal with at that time.

Jason

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008/VW/R23
      04-10-2012 12:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      I've been researching tires on TireRack.com extensively. Yup, Bridgestones are heavy by compairson. Dunlops are supposedly harder to balance. Michelins are expensive but highly rated. Those are the generalizations I've picked up.
      I'd also add that Michelin summer tires wear fast in my experience. I use Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tires on my Boxster which I find to be a good balance of performance, cost and wear. They are also available for the TTRS in their new version 2 form. Anyone try those yet?

Jason

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      04-10-2012 02:32 PM #12
      Not only do different tires ride and wear differently (all hi po tires wear more quickly) but handling can be affected quite drastically. I recall reading a recent review of different tires on the TTRS where the Toyos provided the most understeer of all tires in the test.

In my experience, the Michelins PS2's wore better than the previous Hankooks K104's but certainly not worth spending double. After this season, I will need to replace my Contis and if the DW is no longer available, its replacement would be on the short list. The Mich Super Sports are also on the list as an approx 20% increase in cost could be rationalized based on great reviews and fairly good wear.
      Last edited by Stevelev; 04-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.