Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 134

    Thread: Jiffy Lube's new advertising campaign "We don't find stuff to fix"

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Edgewood, MD
      Posts
      3,799
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      04-10-2012 01:18 PM #1
      I don't get these commercials... they all say something along the lines of "I'm not taking my car to the dealer/repair place so they can find stuff to fix, so I'll go to JiffyLube and keep my ride alive!"

      Isn't the whole point of taking your car to a quailified repair facility to have it fixed?
      Wouldn't you want them to find something broken/worn out before it causes a serious problem?

      I understand they're just trying to villify the dealers, etc... but c'mon.

    2. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      12,643
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      04-10-2012 01:19 PM #2
      I think they're trying to change their image where you got fifty million upsells for $39.95 wiper blades and $59.95 air filters.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio • Come make some hard cider

    3. 04-10-2012 01:21 PM #3
      I already know they don't try to find anything to fix. I went in a long time ago with the check engine light on and they didn't mention it. They did however try to upsell me on some additive.

    4. Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2012
      Location
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Posts
      2,204
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      04-10-2012 01:30 PM #4
      Try getting an oil change at Car X. They always seem to be looking for other things to fix whild doing that.

    5. Member Dieselstation's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      6,614
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf 2.5L
      04-10-2012 01:33 PM #5
      no.. they don't even TRY to find stuff to fix, they just say they fixed it and charge you. Even oil changes.
      Speed-Driven Wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,482
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      04-10-2012 01:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Isn't the whole point of taking your car to a quailified repair facility to have it fixed?
      Wouldn't you want them to find something broken/worn out before it causes a serious problem?
      If I take my car to a place like Jiffy Lube, it's ONLY to get an oil change. Nothing else. Ever.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    7. Member Volvo_D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2009
      Posts
      3,403
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015.5 XC60 T5 AWD
      04-10-2012 01:39 PM #7
      I wouldn't be surprised if they found stuff to break...
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com


    8. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Lehigh Valley, PA
      Posts
      13,607
      Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-10-2012 01:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvo_D View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if they found stuff to break...
      They did that to my sister's Tercel years ago. Broke the PCV valve and wanted to upsell her on a new one. They also tried to charge her $20 to fill the power steering reservoir. The conversation went something like this:

      JL: "Uh, like, yur power steering flooid is low".

      Sis: "Power steering fluid? On my car?"

      JL: "Yeah, it could be dangerous."

      Sis: "On MY car?"

      JL: "Yeah"

      Sis: " The power steering fluid on MY, RED Toyota Tercel sitting right out there?"

      JL: "YEAH!"

      Sis: "That's funny because my car doesn't have power steering"

      JL: "..."

      After bringing this to the attention of the manager my Sister got out of there with a free oil change, and they replaced the PCV valve they quite obviously removed and smacked with a hammer, free of charge. I don't care what their new slogan is, I'll never set foot in a Jiffy Lube.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

    9. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,024
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      04-10-2012 01:50 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      If I take my car to a place like Jiffy Lube, it's ONLY to get an oil change. Nothing else. Ever.
      not even then.

      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    10. Member Chmeeee's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Melrose, MA
      Posts
      10,218
      Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      04-10-2012 01:55 PM #11
      "We don't find stuff to fix, we just find maintenance that you don't actually need."
      | The Orange Line | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,482
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      04-10-2012 01:57 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      not even then.
      It's a big 'if'. Unfortunately there's not an option to change font size on this forum.

      That big if is only likely to happen when on a road trip and any place I wanted to go to couldn't fit me in.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    12. Member c0r3y.af's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2009
      Location
      Warwick, RI
      Posts
      4,624
      Vehicles
      Bagged MK6 GLI, Ex-BT B5A4 Owner
      04-10-2012 01:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      They did that to my sister's Tercel years ago. Broke the PCV valve and wanted to upsell her on a new one. They also tried to charge her $20 to fill the power steering reservoir. The conversation went something like this:

      JL: "Uh, like, yur power steering flooid is low".

      Sis: "Power steering fluid? On my car?"

      JL: "Yeah, it could be dangerous."

      Sis: "On MY car?"

      JL: "Yeah"

      Sis: " The power steering fluid on MY, RED Toyota Tercel sitting right out there?"

      JL: "YEAH!"

      Sis: "That's funny because my car doesn't have power steering"

      JL: "..."

      After bringing this to the attention of the manager my Sister got out of there with a free oil change, and they replaced the PCV valve they quite obviously removed and smacked with a hammer, free of charge. I don't care what their new slogan is, I'll never set foot in a Jiffy Lube.
      Follow me on Instagram: @coreyfonseca
      I offer automotive detailing services in RI. PM me for details.

    13. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      12,643
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      04-10-2012 01:59 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      They did that to my sister's Tercel years ago. Broke the PCV valve and wanted to upsell her on a new one. They also tried to charge her $20 to fill the power steering reservoir. The conversation went something like this:...
      I had the Honda dealer try the same thing on my '03 Si when I had it in for an oil change. They said the PS fluid was dirty and recommended changing it. I declined the service and mentioned that it was funny that the fluid was dirty — since it didn't have any (electric power steering).
      Last edited by adrew; 04-10-2012 at 02:08 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio • Come make some hard cider

    14. Member Harold's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2000
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      3,490
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 4Motion
      04-10-2012 02:02 PM #15
      I steer clear of ANY quick lube place. A couple of years ago....

      Went to a place and 2 times in a row : " your belly pan is missing screws..." which I promptly replaced each time.

      Third time same thing again. but this time when I replaced the screws, checked the car over closely: oil was overfilled and no drain plug washer.

      So I started doing my own oil changes and in 6 years NEVER lost a belly pan screw. They hurry up to get you that 15 min oil change and don't have the time to properly put in some screws.

      The only reason I went there is because my bro-in-law knew the manager and "he would take care of me"
      2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      past: '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro
      '85 VW GTI , 17 yrs and 280k miles, rusted away

    15. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,024
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      04-10-2012 02:05 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      It's a big 'if'. Unfortunately there's not an option to change font size on this forum.

      That big if is only likely to happen when on a road trip and any place I wanted to go to couldn't fit me in.
      I would drive my vehicle 1K miles over the service interval before I'd even consider letting those morons touch my vehicle.

      honestly, there was one of those places down the street from the dealership I worked for. many a customer would be pissed at the cost of an oil change (Porsche air cooled) from the dealer....head over to that place instead, and inevitably, their cars would end up back at the dealership with some form of damage or destruction from their "techs" performing improper or unnecessary services.
      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    16. Member firstorbit84's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2006
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      3,141
      Vehicles
      '14 Jetta 1.8T, '13 Focus, '00 Miata
      04-10-2012 02:14 PM #17
      In my experience they break stuff and then don't tell you that it needs to be fixed:

      My girlfriend took her sentra into jiffy lube and they broke the dipstick handle. Instead of apologizing and getting a new one, they put a big wad of electrical tape on the end of the dipstick to keep it from falling in. Meanwhile, it was now sitting higher than it should have and they over filled the car with oil. Several days later when she's doing errands about to leave town on a road trip the car starts smoking from excess oil spilling out onto the exhaust manifold. She rented a car because she was afraid to drive hers and left it with me to check it out. I pop the hood and immediately see the FUBAR'ed dipstick. I call Jiffy Lube and they had no idea what I was talking about. The car was just out of warranty and the only other place it had been was the dealer, and nothing like this had ever happened before.

      Never again will I take it there unless I personally know the tech who's working on my car.
      Last edited by firstorbit84; 04-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
      "If your car 'feels like it's on rails,' then you're going too slow."

    17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      23,265
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-10-2012 02:27 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      It's a big 'if'. Unfortunately there's not an option to change font size on this forum.

      That big if is only likely to happen when on a road trip and any place I wanted to go to couldn't fit me in.
      "Back in the day" I worked at a Louisville Audi dealership. We had a customer on a driving vacation from New York that had their car towed in because the Jiffy Lube gorilla apparently used an impact wrench to tighten the drain plug. A triple-oversize plug wouldn't even begin to bite. (Not that I'd want that half-assed thing in there anyway.

      Jiffy Lube wound-up paying for his hotel (over the weekend, mind you), a rental car, air freight on a new pan and labor to install it. Yeah, it really cost them.

      I know I've mentioned that before, but it really needed to be in this thread, too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,482
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      04-10-2012 02:30 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      I would drive my vehicle 1K miles over the service interval before I'd even consider letting those morons touch my vehicle.
      I've only gone to a quick lube place once, and that was about 10 years ago. I talked to the tech so that he's use my oil and filter, and I think I tipped him beforehand. I didn't have any problems.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    19. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      15,558
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      04-10-2012 03:16 PM #20
      I used to love trolling Jiffy Lube techs when they told me my vehicle needed something.

      Dead of winter and -30C:

      JL: "um you should replace your PCV valve because there's this brown froth on the bottom of your oil cap."

      The dip**** didn't realize I could SEE what his hands were doing through the curvature a the bottom of my hood when it was open. He reached into the valve cover of my Jeep's 4.0L with his index finger and piled more condensation onto the oil cap.

    20. Member KeiCar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Posts
      10,580
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      04-10-2012 03:31 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      I would drive my vehicle 1K miles over the service interval before I'd even consider letting those morons touch my vehicle.

      honestly, there was one of those places down the street from the dealership I worked for. many a customer would be pissed at the cost of an oil change (Porsche air cooled) from the dealer....head over to that place instead, and inevitably, their cars would end up back at the dealership with some form of damage or destruction from their "techs" performing improper or unnecessary services.
      How expensive is a oil change for an air cooled Porsche? Is the price high due to parts or labor (I bet its labor)? Is it hard for the average car enthusiast to do, like the filter needing a lot of parts removed to get to and what-not?
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Edgewood, MD
      Posts
      3,799
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      04-10-2012 03:44 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      How expensive is a oil change for an air cooled Porsche? Is the price high due to parts or labor (I bet its labor)? Is it hard for the average car enthusiast to do, like the filter needing a lot of parts removed to get to and what-not?
      Something like 13 quarts of synthetic in the dry sumped motors... so it's about $100. in oil alone.

    22. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,024
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      04-10-2012 03:58 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      How expensive is a oil change for an air cooled Porsche? Is the price high due to parts or labor (I bet its labor)? Is it hard for the average car enthusiast to do, like the filter needing a lot of parts removed to get to and what-not?
      at the time (late 80's) the cost of an oil change was $95 parts and labor. as was stated above, the volume of oil is anywhere from 11 to 13 qts depending on model.

      also, the oil change on a 911 is a bit more involved to perform it properly....like removing, draining and replacing the oil return line from the cooler, and the same for the front cooler; otherwise you'll leave several qts of old oil in the system. so there is more labor if done properly.

      add to that, the factory spes replacement of the draing plug and washer (aluminum and copper respectively), as well as other various inspections typical for air cooled motors.

      at the time our labor rate was $85/hr when most other's was $65/hr for say a GM tech. higher overhead and I would say quality of training in the techs, not to knock GM techs, but Porsche required huge amounts of continuing training and education for their techs.
      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    23. Member hardcore4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2010
      Location
      Mentor ,Ohio
      Posts
      3,224
      Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      04-10-2012 04:07 PM #24
      Uhm my dealer charged me $6.10 for Costrol Edge and Amazon sell it for $9.99 so not sure how liffy jube would be cheaper
      Last edited by hardcore4life; 04-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.

    24. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Windsor, VT USA
      Posts
      24,514
      Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      04-10-2012 04:16 PM #25
      You guys don't think it's the ASE Certified Master Tech's doing oil changes at the Dealership, do you?
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

    25. Member MightyDSM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      St. Louis
      Posts
      6,409
      Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      04-10-2012 04:20 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      Try getting an oil change at Car X. They always seem to be looking for other things to fix whild doing that.
      Kinda like taking your car to Firestone..

      "Hi, I would like get my tires rotated"

      2 hours later: "Your car is ready. We found blah blah and blah wrong. It will cost $2000 to get it all fixed"

      It seems like it's always more broken after you get your car back than before you took it in
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Edgewood, MD
      Posts
      3,799
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      04-10-2012 04:24 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by MightyDSM View Post
      Kinda like taking your car to Firestone..

      "Hi, I would like get my tires rotated"

      2 hours later: "Your car is ready. We found blah blah and blah wrong. It will cost $2000 to get it all fixed"

      It seems like it's always more broken after you get your car back than before you took it in
      Cars that have routine scheduled maintnance performed on them generally don't need thousands of dollars in repairs at once. Only neglected ones do.....

    27. Member 12v Dub's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Snellville, GA
      Posts
      1,224
      Vehicles
      12' F150 Ecoboost, 12' VW CC, 14' FZ-09
      04-10-2012 04:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      You guys don't think it's the ASE Certified Master Tech's doing oil changes at the Dealership, do you?

      sometimes they do too, you'd be surprised. when dealership is busy in quick lube and are in need to move service cars in and out faster, they will dispatch it to main shop especially on Saturdays

    28. Member randy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      The Orange Curtain- CA
      Posts
      4,353
      04-10-2012 04:31 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      They did that to my sister's Tercel years ago. Broke the PCV valve and wanted to upsell her on a new one. They also tried to charge her $20 to fill the power steering reservoir. The conversation went something like this:

      JL: "Uh, like, yur power steering flooid is low".

      Sis: "Power steering fluid? On my car?"

      JL: "Yeah, it could be dangerous."

      Sis: "On MY car?"

      JL: "Yeah"

      Sis: " The power steering fluid on MY, RED Toyota Tercel sitting right out there?"

      JL: "YEAH!"

      Sis: "That's funny because my car doesn't have power steering"

      JL: "..."

      After bringing this to the attention of the manager my Sister got out of there with a free oil change, and they replaced the PCV valve they quite obviously removed and smacked with a hammer, free of charge. I don't care what their new slogan is, I'll never set foot in a Jiffy Lube.
      Props to your sister for even knowing what her car has and doesn't have.

    29. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-10-2012 04:54 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      I don't get these commercials... they all say something along the lines of "I'm not taking my car to the dealer/repair place so they can find stuff to fix, so I'll go to JiffyLube and keep my ride alive!"

      Isn't the whole point of taking your car to a quailified repair facility to have it fixed?
      Wouldn't you want them to find something broken/worn out before it causes a serious problem?

      I understand they're just trying to villify the dealers, etc... but c'mon.
      Yep ... like my local oil change place using an obviously broken hydrometer trying to sell me on replacing my coolant ... the coolant I just completely replaced the week prior doing my timing belt and water pump job ... yep ... dealers never do stuff like that.

      Oh, your heat shield is rattling, we should really replace the whole thing rather than the 50c bolt that broke?

      Fixing stuff that's actually broken is one thing ... "Fixing" stuff that's "broken" is an entirely different thing ...


    30. 04-10-2012 04:56 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Cars that have routine scheduled maintnance performed on them generally don't need thousands of dollars in repairs at once. Only neglected ones do.....
      Somone is missing the point here......


      The idea is that most cars do NOT need these services...that's how the quick lubes make their money.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

    31. Geriatric Member Chapel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 1999
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      52,529
      Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      04-10-2012 05:14 PM #32
      what's the proper way to do an automatic transmission flush anyway?

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2001
      Location
      The PNW
      Posts
      1,722
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      04-10-2012 05:30 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Yep ... like my local oil change place using an obviously broken hydrometer trying to sell me on replacing my coolant ... the coolant I just completely replaced the week prior doing my timing belt and water pump job ... yep ... dealers never do stuff like that.

      Oh, your heat shield is rattling, we should really replace the whole thing rather than the 50c bolt that broke?

      Fixing stuff that's actually broken is one thing ... "Fixing" stuff that's "broken" is an entirely different thing ...

      Why didn't you change the oil when you did the t'belt?

      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      what's the proper way to do an automatic transmission flush anyway?
      Run the hose until the water comes out clear at the drain plug...
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

    33. Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      4,812
      Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      04-10-2012 05:34 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
      Run the hose until the water comes out clear at the drain plug...
      +1

    34. 04-10-2012 05:44 PM #35
      I think "We'll strip your oil pan threads and then deny it" is more accurate.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •