Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001.5 Passat v6 5speed help

1. 04-10-2012 12:21 PM #1
      hey guys i just bought a b5.5 passat 5 speed glx...i love ittt fully loaded its a nice package. it has 67k. i just did the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, and cam tensioner adjuster gaskets. i park on a slanted driveway so the car sits on an angle all night. only when i start up first in the morning, it makes the noise as if the oil isnt rushing up through the engine all the way, and makes the clickkk clickkkkk noise in the motor..but any other startup throughout the day is fine. only the first in the am. you guys think its just because i park on a hill type driveway? idk what else it could be.. after i start driving for like 10 mins i also hear like a little whining/vacuum noise more noticeably in first gear, idk if that has anything to do with it? lemme know what u guys think...i havent checked the oil level since i got the car back from the shop, but i know i should maybe they forgot to add an extra quart or something...willl keep this post updated...thanks mike

2. 04-10-2012 12:23 PM #2
      and also when it makes that noise in the morning, its for like 2 seconds, and it goes away because i guess the oil has finally made it throughout the whole engine

3. 04-10-2012 03:23 PM #3
      checked the oil level, its full

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      04-10-2012 07:12 PM #4
      The most common cause for a noise from the engine at cold startup is worn cam chain adjusters. That's usually more of a clatter than a click, though. Certainly check the oil level; can't believe you took the time to write here before looking - but that's unlikely to be the issue.

5. 04-10-2012 07:25 PM #5
      I just had the cam adjusters fixed. So that's why I'm confused as to what this noise is. And it's only on the first start up of the day in the morning, I'm in class right now and my car will have been parked outside for 2hrs and 45 mins I don't think that's long enough to be a cold start up. The best way to describe how it sounds is like the oil isn't rushing up all the way through the engine. I brought in my car for cam adjusters, timing belt, and valve cover gaskets. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna take a video of the noise and post it on here...

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      04-10-2012 10:04 PM #6
      I thought you said cam chain adjuster seals. Are you sure you had the adjusters themselves replaced? They're about $600 each... and you have two.

7. 04-10-2012 10:32 PM #7
      if the adjusters were bad, would that be a cause for oil not rushing up fully in the morning?

8. 04-10-2012 10:34 PM #8
      and would bad adjusters cause a whining noise like im describing in the first post? haha this is crazy

9. 04-10-2012 10:35 PM #9
      i am almost positive i had the adjuster seals replaced i am going to have to double check about the adjusters themselves

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      04-11-2012 07:04 AM #10
      That's kind of it. The adjusters are hydraulically operated. Oil pressure "pumps them up" so they can provide tension to the chain. As they wear, it takes longer for this to happen. If it goes on too long, it's time to replace them. Doesn't happen often, but I've seen cases where failed adjusters allowed the chain to whip around and actually wear through the cover.

The whine is something else. Could be the transmission, could even be the alternator. When my alternator was headed toward failure, it made a sound like that, which did indeed diminish after it warmed up.

11. 04-11-2012 10:39 AM #11
      So I wento take a video this morning of the first startup of the car to show you guys the noise I was talking about, and it didn't do it! Maybe it took a few days for the cam tensioner to wear in correctly and for the oil to get through, lol idk. I will keep this post updated though because I still haven't figured out the whining/blowing noise yet. I think it may be a vacuum line, I'm going to let u guys know what I find. Thanks