Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mk3.5 cabby automatic to manual trans swap questions?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 cabrio, 1999 VR cabrio SOLD!!!,2001 VW GTI,SOLD! : (
      04-10-2012 12:27 PM #1
      Here's the low down folks, I have a 00' mk 3.5 cabby with an automatic trans thats kicking the bucket......so I wanna do a manual swap. I have been unable to find a parts mk3.5 to get the parts from, but I did find a 99 beetle 2.0L 5sp that I am able to get the entire manual swap and all supporting goodies, however I dont know if the parts are compatible. Can anyone share some VDUB knowledge with me and let me know if this is something i can use. I have access to the beetle trans, clutch, axles, ecu, shifter parts, and cluster and possible harness if needed.

2. 04-11-2012 11:57 AM #2
      If the Salisbury in your profile is in Maryland then I'd call NGP in Aberdeen and ask them the question. While they may not be able to tell you (legally speaking, so if you get the wrong things you can't come back to them and sue them for not giving you the correct information) if the Beetle parts will interchange, they "may" be able to point you in the right direction and help you find a MK III (which is what the underpinnings and driveline of your Cabrio are) that has a manual setup in it...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

Vehicles
      '00 Golf Cabriolet & '11 JSW 2.5
      05-08-2012 02:48 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DubQueenie View Post
      I have access to the beetle trans, clutch, axles, ecu, shifter parts, and cluster and possible harness if needed.

I'm in the process of collecting parts for a manual swap myself and I wish it were as easy as just swapping all those parts over. The trans may work, but you'll have to source 020 axles. You cannot use the Beetle ECU, cluster, or harness.