Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: clutch swap disaster - saab 92x

1. 04-10-2012 02:21 PM #1
      I am swapping the clutch on my saab 92x non turbo. I have been at it for about 6 hours and have meet my frustration level. I got all the bolts out and can not get the thing to budge. I have been moving and wacking it and prying it but nothing.

Am i doing something wrong? any one have any experience working on this or simular subarus?

I am getting close to calling it defeat but my ego wont let me. The thing just does not budge i tried to hammer a puddy knife in but it wouldn't even separate enough for that.

any advise or help is appreciated!!!

thanks
      mark

2. 04-10-2012 02:24 PM #2
      Are you sure you got ALL the bolts? Every time my buddies ask for help cause they "can't get it to separate" they are ALWAYS missing a bolt.. on RWD cars its always the very top one. And on fwd its the one set closest to the firewall side.

04-10-2012 02:28 PM #3
      Make sure you have removed all the bolts. Sometimes it is hard to see all of them. Double check a few times to make sure you haven't overlooked something.

Don't try to wedge anything between the trans and the motor, you're likely to do more damage than good.

Put a jackstand or two underneath the motor. Use your jack to lift the rear of the trans a little bit then try pulling again. If that doesn't work then try lowering the jack just a little bit. Use the jack to "wiggle" it loose.

Vehicles
      Mk6 golf tdi
      04-10-2012 02:35 PM #4
      did you release the clutch fork and the snub mount? and the front roll/spring pins from the front axles? and shift linkage
      Miss my mk5 gti,e28 535is, mk3 jetta, mk2 jetta coupe, mk1 rabbit gti:, 67 type one bug,will always be on the look out for another e28 or fb or fc rx7.
      xboxlive: rattymk5mike

5. 04-10-2012 02:44 PM #5
      front axles are out as well as the shift linkage. snub? how do i release the clutch fork?

Vehicles
      E36
      04-10-2012 02:45 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by NYCgolf View Post
      can not get the thing to budge. I have been moving and wacking it and prying it but nothing.
      yes you're missing a bolt
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

Vehicles
      2009 B6 Variant
      04-10-2012 03:01 PM #7
      Are you sure you got all the bolts. If I recall from working Subaru's you should have 9 bolts to get out of the assembly before it will come out. They will all be in little depressions as well if that makes sense.

Maybe google a picture. Might help you figure out which one(s) you are missing.

Whacking it or wedging it is just going to break something. Take a break and go back and look at it again.

8. 04-10-2012 03:02 PM #8
      i mean i hope i am missing a bolt but i really dont think i am. Any one have access to a manual for these cars and can check for me i will be very greatfull.

Vehicles
      '99 Ford SVT Contour/'06 Scion tC 5MT
      04-10-2012 03:11 PM #9
      A quick look on NASIOC mentions a 10mm bolt holding on the clutch fork pin. You need to remove that so you can get the fork out. It's causing things to get hung up on the throw out bearing.

I have no honest idea if this is your problem or not. All I did was Google Impreza/92X transmission removal. Hope you get it figured out.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango
      Nah. 10 mins later he was yelling in the cat's direction that he was going to call the police and have him arrested, then asking for cake.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-10-2012 03:28 PM #10
      i mean i hope i am missing a bolt but i really dont think i am. Any one have access to a manual for these cars and can check for me i will be very greatfull.
      maybe this tread NASIOC will help shed some light on your problem.
      http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1324240

I don't know what your mechanical skill level is, but trying to do your clutch (i'm guessing, for the first time on this car) without a service manual is

Good luck

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-10-2012 03:37 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      maybe this tread NASIOC will help shed some light on your problem.
      http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1324240

I don't know what your mechanical skill level is, but trying to do your clutch (i'm guessing, for the first time on this car) without a service manual is

Good luck
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

12. 04-10-2012 03:39 PM #12
      i think my mechanical skill level is pretty good but i am at a real loss here. If i try to wiggle the tranny the whole engine everything comes with it. So by continuing to wiggle i am just beating the crap out of the motor mounts.

Vehicles
      '99 Ford SVT Contour/'06 Scion tC 5MT
      04-10-2012 03:40 PM #13
      Don't know if it was mentioned, but try jackstands to hold the engine. Then use a jack to push the tranny up and down. Maybe they are just fused together real good.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango
      Nah. 10 mins later he was yelling in the cat's direction that he was going to call the police and have him arrested, then asking for cake.

14. 04-10-2012 05:25 PM #14
      If i jack up and down on the tranny the engine just moves rite with it. I feel like i am just beating on the motor mounts. NOt sure what to do I cant spend all day tommorow working on it again. I think i may throw in the towel and put it back together.

quite the blow to my pschi

Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI | '09 Kawasaki Versys
      04-10-2012 06:11 PM #15
      quite the blow to my pschi

Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.

Vehicles
      90 corrado g60. 00 jetta tdi. 97 a4
      04-10-2012 06:21 PM #16
      Did u remove the starter?

Vehicles
      2013 Civic Type-H
      04-10-2012 06:44 PM #17
      Sounds like your motor and transmission have been fused together. Only option is to pull them both together and put a JDM STI motor in.

Vehicles
      Mk6 golf tdi
      04-10-2012 07:04 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      A quick look on NASIOC mentions a 10mm bolt holding on the clutch fork pin. You need to remove that so you can get the fork out. It's causing things to get hung up on the throw out bearing.

thats what i was refering to
      Miss my mk5 gti,e28 535is, mk3 jetta, mk2 jetta coupe, mk1 rabbit gti:, 67 type one bug,will always be on the look out for another e28 or fb or fc rx7.
      xboxlive: rattymk5mike

Vehicles
      SE and JP x 2
      04-10-2012 07:41 PM #19
      Might be a silly question, but you haven't explicitly stated that you've removed the rear drive shaft too?

I was able to do the clutch in my Forester without disconnecting the front wheels. So that shouldn't be a limiting factor.

I was also a little perturbed at how much I put my motor mounts through, but I was eventually able to wiggle the trans from the motor using a jack stand to lift/drop the transmission. It's better if you have a friend to wiggle the motor while you wiggle the transmission though -- or vice versa.

And you should still look up the relevant shop manual pages. Just google around for "subaru shop manual PDF" or replace subaru with forester, impreza, etc.

Vehicles
      03 Outback
      04-11-2012 12:38 AM #20
      Are you trying to do the clutch by pulling the engine or the transmission? I'm asking because I just replaced the engine (and clutch) in my Outback a month ago and had a hell of a time separating the engine from the transmission.

With all the bolts out, I supported the transmission and raised it up so that the engine mounts were out of their holes. Climbed on top of the engine and jumped on the front of it, repeatedly. After 30 jumps and stomps on the front, it developed a very slight gap between the two that I took advantage of and worked the engine/trans apart.

It's a known issue when separating the engine/trans on these motors. The alignment pins get corroded into place, as do the bolts.

Vehicles
      13 GLI Autobahn
      04-11-2012 01:02 AM #21
      Is there perhaps a small grub screw hidden somewhere preventing separation? I've seen this before on Chevys.
      Current: 2013 GLI Autobahn
      Previous: 84 Jetta, 00 Jetta TDI, 04 Frontier, 05 Tacoma, 01 Jetta, 05 GTI, 85 Jetta, 06 Tacoma, 81 Rabbit, 81 Rabbit, 86 GTI, 86 325e, 89 GLI, 99 Jetta, 73 Stupid Beetle, 89 GTI 16V, 92 Jetta, 74 F250, 86 325es, 77 MGB, 73 C10, 06 MCS, 11 Silverado, 13 Silverado

Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      04-11-2012 01:09 AM #22
      You guys comparing your scooby doos to a saab are barking up the wrong tree. Saab mounts the motor on top of the tranny and it's a bitch. On saab's, you pull both the tranny and engine together to get them apart. I would not even try it separately.

Saab is now the modern Edsel. My advice is to get rid of the car. Mainly because with no factory support, parts are going to be made out of unabtainium. I already can not find parts needed to keep our customers Saabs on the road.
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      04-11-2012 01:21 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
      You guys comparing your scooby doos to a saab are barking up the wrong tree. Saab mounts the motor on top of the tranny and it's a bitch. On saab's, you pull both the tranny and engine together to get them apart. I would not even try it separately.

Saab is now the modern Edsel. My advice is to get rid of the car. Mainly because with no factory support, parts are going to be made out of unabtainium. I already can not find parts needed to keep our customers Saabs on the road.
      It sounds like you're totally unaware of the fact that the Saab 92x is nothing more than a rebadged Subaru Impreza.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      04-11-2012 01:29 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      It sounds like you're totally unaware of the fact that the Saab 92x is nothing more than a rebadged Subaru Impreza.
      That would be a true statement! So I take back what I said. I can't say I have ever seen one. The only Saabs in my area are all 9-3s and one 9-5. So if it is a Impreza it may just be stuck on the pins. I usually use a couple of long pry bars to convince the tranny to seperate from the engine. They do not rust together here in the high alpine dessert, so you rust belters probally will have a tougher time getting them apart.
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

25. 05-07-2012 10:08 AM #25
      Just an update:

It ended up needing an absurd amount of prying and hitting around the alignment pins. I was nervous i was going to crack the bellhousing.

Vehicles
      Sedan and Van in white
      05-07-2012 10:12 AM #26
      Just an update:

It ended up needing an absurd amount of prying and hitting around the alignment pins. I was nervous i was going to crack the bellhousing.

Apply a THIN coat of anti-seize where the bellhousing meets the block before you reassemble it. Whoever does this next will love you for it.

These pins are a massive PITA and often freeze up.

Vehicles
      1995 Audi S6
      05-07-2012 08:30 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
      That would be a true statement! So I take back what I said. I can't say I have ever seen one. The only Saabs in my area are all 9-3s and one 9-5. So if it is a Impreza it may just be stuck on the pins. I usually use a couple of long pry bars to convince the tranny to seperate from the engine. They do not rust together here in the high alpine dessert, so you rust belters probally will have a tougher time getting them apart.
      How many cars up there in "Byoonie" don't originate in Denver, where every snow storm transforms it into Carthage post-Scipio?