Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MKVII Golf to get 190hp/280 lb-ft 2.0TDI?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI 4-Dr| DSG | Graphite Blue
      04-10-2012 08:37 PM #1
      Just ran across this article about new TDI engines in VW models coming out. Looks promising for a new Golf TDI as well as a nicely driveable Tiguan, Passat, Jetta, and Sportwagen. Plus even better fuel economy. Can't wait to see what they really turn out.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...this-year.html
      R Line LED Tail Lights w Rear Fog | 20% tint all around | Blue Aspherical mirrors | Replica OEM bi-xenon 6K | Single LED DRL's from TM Tuning as fogs/DRL's | VisionX LED high-beam assist lights in lower grille | Focal Speakers, JL Sub, Kenwood HU | Sound deadening in floor, firewall, doors, trunk | VCDS

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Volkswagen GTI 24V VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI DSG
      04-10-2012 09:31 PM #2
      Man, this is awesome, but I can't say I wouldn't be a little pissed I had a MKVI TDI...unless the MKVII is butt ugly, of course

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:49 AM #3
      Ha ha, there's always that risk. Would be just our luck to have an awesome power train and an ugly car.
      R Line LED Tail Lights w Rear Fog | 20% tint all around | Blue Aspherical mirrors | Replica OEM bi-xenon 6K | Single LED DRL's from TM Tuning as fogs/DRL's | VisionX LED high-beam assist lights in lower grille | Focal Speakers, JL Sub, Kenwood HU | Sound deadening in floor, firewall, doors, trunk | VCDS

4. 04-11-2012 10:03 AM #4
      I hope that headline is not misleading. I would love to have this engine available "this year", but for some reason I can forsee VWoA monkeying around and not offering it here right off the bat.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:58 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
      I hope that headline is not misleading. I would love to have this engine available "this year", but for some reason I can forsee VWoA monkeying around and not offering it here right off the bat.
      I have to take these types of things with a grain of salt. As far as timing goes, these articles are not much more than speculation. Timing is something the industry guards closely, to VW will release them when they feel it is most advantageous.

Given the amount of new diesels (supposedly) coming to the market (Mazda 180hp, 320lbft; Mercedes 2.1 190hp, 369lbft, Audi Q5 w 3.0TDI in 2013, A4 in 2014, A6 reportedly 2013; Chevy Cruze), there's going to be some hot competition for good diesels where VW has previously had really the only passenger car under $50k with a decent diesel engine. I'm really looking forward to it since I love diesels, so bring on the competition. It will likely mean we'll get better and better options as time goes on. If this article holds true on the power, I will probably be trading up when it comes out.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-09-2012 08:16 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by rickallen81 View Post
      I have to take these types of things with a grain of salt. As far as timing goes, these articles are not much more than speculation. Timing is something the industry guards closely, to VW will release them when they feel it is most advantageous.

Given the amount of new diesels (supposedly) coming to the market (Mazda 180hp, 320lbft; Mercedes 2.1 190hp, 369lbft, Audi Q5 w 3.0TDI in 2013, A4 in 2014, A6 reportedly 2013; Chevy Cruze), there's going to be some hot competition for good diesels where VW has previously had really the only passenger car under $50k with a decent diesel engine. I'm really looking forward to it since I love diesels, so bring on the competition. It will likely mean we'll get better and better options as time goes on. If this article holds true on the power, I will probably be trading up when it comes out.
      Until I see companies other then VW/Audi bring small diesels to the US. I don't believe it until I see it mainly cause other car companies have been saying this 4 years now and it hasn't happened yet. (Like Honda, Toyota, and that pesky scooby company)

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-13-2012 02:24 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      Until I see companies other then VW/Audi bring small diesels to the US. I don't believe it until I see it mainly cause other car companies have been saying this 4 years now and it hasn't happened yet. (Like Honda, Toyota, and that pesky scooby company)
      Agree. I want to see some action on that front instead of articles saying "in the next 18-36 months" or some non-committal BS like that. Mazda is the only one I've seen that has one that is more or less certain in the CX-5 or Mazda 6. That actually might be a fun drive when they get around to selling it here. Small, AWD, tossable, and sporty + diesel sounds good for me.

Sick view into how nerdy I am about this....I actually had a dream about reading an official Nnouncwment of VW s new diesel engine being offered in the Tiguan, Golf, Passat, CC, and all w AWD. Sad.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-13-2012 06:16 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by rickallen81 View Post
      ....I actually had a dream about reading an official Nnouncwment of VW s new diesel engine being offered in the Tiguan, Golf, Passat, CC, and all w AWD. Sad.
      Clearly, VW's responsibility is to relieve us from such pain and suffering -- one way or another.

While I love my TDI - which clearly rates much higher wheel (~crank) than advertized, some present and upcoming models definitely need to satisfy US consumer power expectations.
      Last edited by feels_road; 05-14-2012 at 02:55 AM.