Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: JDs archives: Triumph TR7 road vs. track

Vehicles
      2008 Lotus Exige S240 & bland company car
      04-10-2012 11:31 PM #1
      This was from back in the day when Road & Track did quite a few actual road vs. track comparisons.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-10-2012 11:39 PM #2
      I always thought the TR7 was god-awful-hideous. The TR5 is the only Triumph I will ever care about or lust after...

04-10-2012 11:47 PM #3
      Sweet!

And people will wax poetic about the TR5 and TR6's all day long. And yes, the FHC 7's are hideous, but the DHC's are rather nice looking. But I've personally had owners of those cars come up to me and admit that when it comes to long trips, they'd rather take my car any day of the week.

Thanks for posting up. I'd love to have 170HP in my car, and the best way for me to do that is to swap in a fuel injected 3.8. But I just love the way that little 4 cylinder sounds, feels and smells.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 1990 Ford F-150 |

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      04-11-2012 10:18 AM #4
      The TR5, or TR250 in the States, is nice but I would say the TR3 is better. Oh, and I like the FHC TR7 much better than the convertible. I also actually like TR7s.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      04-11-2012 10:28 AM #5
      I LOVED it when R&T did complete road tests on race cars.

6. Banned
      04-11-2012 11:09 AM #6
      100+ trap speed but only 15.5 ET? God damn that's fast top end acceleration.
      Last edited by C4 A6; 04-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015.5 XC60 T5 AWD
      04-11-2012 11:18 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      The TR5, or TR250 in the States, is nice but I would say the TR3 is better. Oh, and I like the FHC TR7 much better than the convertible. I also actually like TR7s.
      I agree! I think the TR3 just looks so classic and sounds great. i used to mow the lawn for a guy that had a stunning black TR3 (amongst other classic benzes and jags) and i got to drive it a little while, what a great car.

What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

8. Senior Member
      04-11-2012 11:44 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      I always thought the TR7 was god-awful-hideous. The TR5 is the only Triumph I will ever care about or lust after...
      Hey, I had a TR7, it was probably one of the coolest looking cars I've ever had.... not beautiful but coolest looking
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

04-11-2012 01:45 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Hey, I had a TR7, it was probably one of the coolest looking cars I've ever had.... not beautiful but coolest looking
      Yep. This thing turns heads and stops traffic. In much the same way a naked 80 year old woman would.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 1990 Ford F-150 |

10. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      04-11-2012 02:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Yep. This thing turns heads and stops traffic. In much the same way a naked 80 year old woman would.

Chris
      The burble from my TR8 used to turn heads. Nothing beat sitting at a light with that nice lumpy V8 idle and having people next to you look over wondering WTF is going on under the hood.

I also love how the racing TR7 was just a touch quicker than my stock TR8. Thankfully, they addressed the biggest fault in the production car, which was the brakes. My TR8 had the worst brakes out of anything I've ever driven in my life, including modern cars with metal on metal worn out brakes.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time. l My 2800CS
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

11. 04-11-2012 03:06 PM #11
      R/T are a bunch of chowderheads. There's no way a car that runs 18.2 @ 76 is getting to 100 in under 30 seconds. Not possible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      2012 Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost 2004 VW R32 (Sold) 2001 VW GTI VR6 (Sold)
      04-11-2012 03:11 PM #12
      My first car: 76 Spitfire. bought and paid for myself 16 y/o by paper route and bagging groceries.
      Hope to have another Spitfire or TR6 in the stable again one day.

13. 04-11-2012 03:49 PM #13

Taken from http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/comics.html, which has some great British car humour.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      Worship the volcano or else!
      04-12-2012 01:58 PM #14
      If you can get past the British Leyland image these are funky little cars. Then again I am trying to make an autocross rig out of a rubber bumper MGB so what do I know?
      "You see, I am for the great loves and the great hates."
      -Enzo Ferrari

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 02:04 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
      If you can get past the British Leyland image these are funky little cars. Then again I am trying to make an autocross rig out of a rubber bumper MGB so what do I know?
      Well, you should know:
      that a chrome bumper crossmember will pretty much bolt right in
      that negative a arms are available and help a lot
      that you should uprate the valves in the lever arms
      that uprated springs are available for the front and the rear
      that the rubber bumper has a rear sway bar that helps out a lot
      that solid aluminum mounts for the front bar are available as well as a thicker sway bar

Theres nothing wrong with the plastic, its not rubber, bumper Bs. I like them better than the chrome bumpers. The pre 74.5 MGBs might look a little better but theyre no where near as comfortable and do not really have any edge, handling wise, over a well modified 75- up B.

Vehicles
      2008 Lotus Exige S240 & bland company car
      04-12-2012 03:31 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      I LOVED it when R&T did complete road tests on race cars.

I've got a handful more of these articles that I'll be putting up in the coming weeks. It's a shame they don't do one of these a month. Or maybe they do now? I haven't read a copy of Road & Track in years.

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 04:58 PM #17
      Thanks, that's good to know. I'm having more trouble than I expected finding competition setups for this car online - I think many of the owners are "old farts" nowadays. I have my doubts about how competitive I can make this car without an engine swap but I'm taking it step-by-step.

Do you have any good links? I'm on mgexperience.net and it's a really good resource but not too competition-minded.

Well, you should know:
      that a chrome bumper crossmember will pretty much bolt right in
      that negative a arms are available and help a lot
      that you should uprate the valves in the lever arms
      that uprated springs are available for the front and the rear
      that the rubber bumper has a rear sway bar that helps out a lot
      that solid aluminum mounts for the front bar are available as well as a thicker sway bar

Theres nothing wrong with the plastic, its not rubber, bumper Bs. I like them better than the chrome bumpers. The pre 74.5 MGBs might look a little better but theyre no where near as comfortable and do not really have any edge, handling wise, over a well modified 75- up B.
      -Enzo Ferrari

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 05:01 PM #18
      Thanks, that's good to know. I'm having more trouble than I expected finding competition setups for this car online - I think many of the owners are "old farts" nowadays. I have my doubts about how competitive I can make this car without an engine swap but I'm taking it step-by-step.

Do you have any good links? I'm on mgexperience.net and it's a really good resource but not too competition-minded.
      Most MG Car Club members are old farts. Theres no way around it. Theres a lot of stuff out there for the B but you need to remember that youll need to do a lot of work to keep up or beat the modern stuff. That being said, what are you trying to do with it? Make it competitive with the Miatas or with other old stuff out there?

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      04-12-2012 05:13 PM #19
      It's interesting that they went with a 4 speed in the race version instead of the 5 speed in the street car. Was this for durability? Ratios? Seems odd to me.

They also kept drums on the back of the race car and they are smaller then the street car version. I guess this is for weight reduction and that you wouldn't need much rear brake for a 1950lb car.

I wish they would do some of these again with something like the Miata or Continental Tire cars that are out there.

Edit: To be honest they may do this now. I haven't read R&T for a number of years.

20. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 05:22 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      It's interesting that they went with a 4 speed in the race version instead of the 5 speed in the street car. Was this for durability? Ratios? Seems odd to me.
      The gearbox was originally a 4 speed, and 5th was added later. For durability reasons, the cars weren't raced with the 5 spd.

When you drive them, 1-4 are rifle bolt direct, with next to no lateral play in the shifter, with a really smooth, positive gear change. My only issue is the length of the travel was high.

Then you'd shift into 5th, which was off somewhere to the right, and didn't have the same directness that 1-4 had.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall

Vehicles
      '83 Mk1 VW Golf 16v "Campaign", '97 BMW E36 318iSE, '99 VW Lupo, '98 Renault Kangoo, '89 Mini Thirty
      04-12-2012 05:29 PM #21

Triumph TR7 Drophead advert by retromotoring, on Flickr

I think they mean "mouldy carpets" when they say "morning dew"!

I've always liked the TR7/8, but I do have strange automotive taste at times. I quite fancy a tin-top, even better in rally-trim

Triumph TR7 V8 by retromotoring, on Flickr

Car 60 - David Ricketts & Richard Jones - 1981 Triumph TR7 V8 by retromotoring, on Flickr

and some others:

DSCN1057 by retromotoring, on Flickr

Triumph Triumph TR7 V8 by retromotoring, on Flickr

Car 7 - 1976 Triumph TR7 V8 - Martyn Adams by retromotoring, on Flickr

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 05:45 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      The gearbox was originally a 4 speed, and 5th was added later. For durability reasons, the cars weren't raced with the 5 spd.

When you drive them, 1-4 are rifle bolt direct, with next to no lateral play in the shifter, with a really smooth, positive gear change. My only issue is the length of the travel was high.

Then you'd shift into 5th, which was off somewhere to the right, and didn't have the same directness that 1-4 had.
      Its because 1-4th gear use the same fork. When you engage 5th, its using a different fork which makes it less 'bolt action.' The LT77 in the TR7/8 is borderline garbage. They have a history of eating up bearings, breaking layshafts and dropping 5th gear. The Rally cars did use the 5 speed but had issues with suddenly loosing a gear at speed. They, the teams and the factory, could not decide whether to use motor oil, ATF or gear oil to save the bearings. Nothing really worked.

A hardtop TR7 is a much better looking car, especially in works trim as above. This is one of my backgrounds on my desktop

Besides a smallmouth TR3, a works style TR7 would be what I would mess around with.

23. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 05:46 PM #23
      Some V8 Wedge love:

Rally Wedge:

Interesting clip on the history:

And because everyone loves Clarkson:

The Rally cars did use the 5 speed but had issues with suddenly loosing a gear at speed. They, the teams and the factory, could not decide whether to use motor oil, ATF or gear oil to save the bearings. Nothing really worked.
      I wasn't aware that the rally cars ran the 5th. I was under the (wrong) assumption that due to reliability issues with 5th that they dropped them. Appreciate the better info.

My TR8 was on its second transmission when it was sold with 68k or so on the clock.
      Last edited by Brendan@bwalkauto; 04-12-2012 at 05:50 PM.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 07:33 PM #24
      Dont forget the Janspeed Le Mans TR8

Or more well known, the Group 44 TR8

(The TR8 finished 8th while the Porsche DNF)

Vehicles
      Jaggernaut & egg of robin
      04-12-2012 08:32 PM #25
      Most MG Car Club members are old farts.
      Most lovers of english cars in general are old farts. I fear for the future of some of these cars as they're not really embraced by a younger crowd it seems .

I don't think the tr7 is unattractive at all. Sharp, figuratively and literally. I actually like those stockers better than the racing versions posted below. But then again, most would say my tastes are peculiar.

I really wish they would have carried on with the tr7 sprint with the dohc engine!

Speke no evil.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '08 Hyundai Accent SE hatch, ice blue/gray
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

Vehicles
      04-14-2012 01:01 PM #26
      Most MG Car Club members are old farts. Theres no way around it. Theres a lot of stuff out there for the B but you need to remember that youll need to do a lot of work to keep up or beat the modern stuff. That being said, what are you trying to do with it? Make it competitive with the Miatas or with other old stuff out there?
      There isn't a lot of old stuff in my SCCA chapter. Part of me wants to keep it original so that I can run it in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix but that only happens once a year.

If i do the right mods on the factory engine I think I can make 120 hp and keep it streetable but I have my doubts whether I can compete with other modified autocross cars. Then I think that it's not much bigger or heavier than a 91 Civic Si that has all of 90 hp.

A Ford 302 swap beckons but I've always wanted a historic British car.
      -Enzo Ferrari

Vehicles
      04-14-2012 02:13 PM #27
      There isn't a lot of old stuff in my SCCA chapter. Part of me wants to keep it original so that I can run it in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix but that only happens once a year.

If i do the right mods on the factory engine I think I can make 120 hp and keep it streetable but I have my doubts whether I can compete with other modified autocross cars. Then I think that it's not much bigger or heavier than a 91 Civic Si that has all of 90 hp.

A Ford 302 swap beckons but I've always wanted a historic British car.
      Then look beyond SCCA which is more for newer cars anyway. What you want to look at are groups like SVRA and HMSA. Those are far better than SCCA for vintage stuff. Within their rules, you can do changes to the kingpins, swivel axles, etc... All that was stuff that they were doing back in the day anyway.

If youre going to make 120 hp out of the B series, youre going to have to go scatter pattern cam and big bore (which youll have to have to go 1950cc which means there is the real chance that youre going to go straight into the water jacket) and it will not be all that streetable. If youre just going to autocross, then your rules are going to be looser than a proper racing association. If thats the case, then a Fast Cars front crossmember and a 3 or 4 link rear suspension system would put you up there with the good stuff.

You could do a 302 swap but you might have better luck squeaking a Rover 3.5 by inspection.

Vehicles
      '83 Mk1 VW Golf 16v "Campaign", '97 BMW E36 318iSE, '99 VW Lupo, '98 Renault Kangoo, '89 Mini Thirty
      04-14-2012 03:23 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by bustedbucket View Post
      Speke no evil.
      I live about 5 miles from Speke where the factory was, and up until a few years ago at least one of the shops that was built on the site was named "TR7 Discount". I was always disappointed that they stocked general everyday hardware and tat rather than Triumph parts. I don't think they are there any more though, but I haven't had reason to visit for a couple of years now. Must check it out

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      04-14-2012 03:28 PM #29
      My very first car was a tin top TR7.

I loved driving that car, even if it broke down constantly.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Sportwagen TDI
      04-14-2012 03:43 PM #30
      I drove a '79 MG Midget last weekend and absolutely loved it.

Once I graduate/have a real job I will definitely pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by efrie View Post

I told him the car wasn't going to win any races, to which he responded was "chill".

Vehicles
      04-14-2012 04:40 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mac dre View Post
      I drove a '79 MG Midget last weekend and absolutely loved it.

Once I graduate/have a real job I will definitely pick one up.
      Please dont do that. The 1500 Midget is the worst thing you can buy. That motor is a pile of garbage. If youre set on a Midget, which is a great and fun little car, go with a pre 75 one. Much better motor and trans and a more comfortable interior.