Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: CAT and O2 help please please please

Vehicles
      2000 beetle 1.8 turbo named Chiggr
      04-11-2012 12:34 AM #1
      00 1.8 turbo bug
      So this poor bug has been treated like crap till we got her poor baby. This all started because of a hot starting issue. Had codes pulled and it showed a temp sensor (replaced) MAF (replaced) O2's (not yet) and CAT ( had to punch out emergency issue) now she's doing somewhat better still has that hot crank issue some but I'm thinking once we replace the rear O2 that it will clear up. And there was no cam sensor codes. Someone kept telling me that was the issue. Now here's the issue I have now. My lappy is dead I'm doing all this by Blackberry and I can't google a lot. A friend who has a Stang said I could reprogram her to bypass the O2's all together. Is that possible? And who would do it? Also I was told that she will always throw codes until I get it tuned to run without a CAT. Is that true? And where can I get for a reasonable price (cheaper than a CAT) bypass pipe? I saw a picture on here but can't find it again.
      This is our first VW and we are learning as we go. We know how to work on Chevy's and some Japanese but a VW man she's got a personality to her.
      So thanks in advance for any help.....
      If you ain't first you're last

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-11-2012 09:36 AM #2
      You can't do it yourself, you'd have to pay to get a tune. Honestly, you can get an aftermarket cat and have it installed for pretty cheap. I had mine done for less than $200. Even had the rear bung for the O2 sensor. And as far as I know, you can only get a tune to bypass the rear O2, not the front.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!