Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: C2 Tuned VRT; error 17796 P1388 Internal Contr. Module drive by wire error

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      04-11-2012 01:07 AM #1
      I've been having a few issues with my VRT,; the ECU fried on me while driving last October. The car just died out and wouldn't restart, had to replace the ECU and fuel pump relay after about a month of trying to figure it out. New MAF and spark plugs, ngk bkr8, also.

The new ECU got it up and running again, It's been running OK, but it has been idling funny and dieing out on me alot latley. It will restart first try every time and idle perfect for a while, than after driving for a bit than coming to a stop, it will idle funny and want to die out again.

I scanned it with VAGCOM and got these 2 errors

17535 P1127 fuel trim; Bank 1: system too rich
      and
      17796 P1388
      Internal Contr. Module drive by wire error

Any ideas what I need to do?

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      04-11-2012 02:52 PM #2
      So I guess I'm looking at replacing my throttle position sensor, though from looking around it seems I have to buy the entire throttle body? Why does ECS tuning sell just the sensor if you can't replace it without changing the entire throttle body?

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      05-02-2012 11:42 PM #3
      Quick update, the car has been stalling out when coming to a stop. Now the car will not start at all. I took it to a shop, and they're telling me I need a new ECU, but I just replaced it 3 months ago! If I do get another one it will be the 4th ECU for this car. What would cause my ECU to just crap out? Has anyone had or heard of this problem before? Please help me out before I push this car off a cliff

05-02-2012 11:51 PM #4
      sounds like an error in the coding /programming of the ecu, i would hit up C2
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

5. 05-03-2012 06:21 AM #5
      u havent opened the ecu up right if u touch the inside of the ecu it will burn it up shortly after like light bulbs.
      id say ur grounds for the car are in need of cleaning lack of of continuity causes shorts which increase temperature /fry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Reihenmotors

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      05-03-2012 08:12 PM #6
      The ecu was flash loaded, so I never opened it. I did have a loose ground which I tightened up before the last ecu was installed. If it is a coding error wouldn't the car not run at all?

7. 05-05-2012 01:08 PM #7
      C2 has ALOT of issues with ICM error codes and Internal rom error codes on Mk3 platforms, but I haven't seen it much on Mk4's.

Vehicles
      91 GTI VR6, 92 Jeep Cherokee, 06 A4Q 2.0T
      05-06-2012 08:19 AM #8
      Assuming this is a mk4, have you checked your accelerator pedal? I've seen a few of them go bad over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      91 GTI VR6 - the all motor mess
      06 A4Q 2.0T - the luxury daily with added boost
      92 JEEP CHEROKEE - lifted, loud, filthy and extremely missed
      Lugtronic
      Caste Systems Performance

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      05-07-2012 04:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by typeSLone View Post
      Assuming this is a mk4, have you checked your accelerator pedal? I've seen a few of them go bad over the years.
      I don't think this is the case because the car will start sometimes and I can get response by stepping on the gas, but it will only idle for about 10-15 seconds before dieing out, then it won't restart.

I'm waiting on a response from C2 about the error code, in the meantime I'm having it towed to a dealership to have them double check all my grounds/wiring and do a pressure test/check for vaccum leaks to rule out any other variables. I hope I don't have to resort to another tune, I want to go Lugtronic, but it's out of my budget.

Vehicles
      91 GTI VR6, 92 Jeep Cherokee, 06 A4Q 2.0T
      05-07-2012 08:31 PM #10
      I fully suggest lugtronic but I understand it being out of the budget.

Curious what C2 says? Did you try adapting or setting basic settings on the throttle body at all? I've seen a few older dbw cars with bad throttle bodies that would idle for a few seconds then die out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      91 GTI VR6 - the all motor mess
      06 A4Q 2.0T - the luxury daily with added boost
      92 JEEP CHEROKEE - lifted, loud, filthy and extremely missed
      Lugtronic
      Caste Systems Performance

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      05-10-2012 03:54 PM #11
      C2 said it looks like either my ECU is going out, or I have a problem with the wiring to the ECU.

The last time my ECU went out it actually fried; I had a loose ground and the ECU put out like 8 error codes about short to ground in all the injectors. The ground was fixed and a new ECU and fuel pump relay was installed at the dealership.

It has been running well the past 4 months except for occasional stalling out at idle, it would always start right back up though. This is the first time I scanned the new ECU since it was installed, so this 1388 code could have been on for a while now. I actually did buy another throttle body to try out in case my TPS sensor is going bad, haven't had a chance to install it yet.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6
      03-30-2014 02:33 PM #12
      What fixed your problem?
      I also have a VRT with a C2 file and I have an idle surge along with the code.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      03-30-2014 10:53 PM #13
      To be honest, I've changed so many things over the years, it's hard to say exactly. I got it back up running, and it still isn't quite right.

I sent the ECU back to C2 for them to swap the tune into a new one, but when it came back, the car would still not run (the ICM drive by wire code never came back though). The dealership then talked me into changing the entire engine wiring harness for $1300, which I did. I also then bought a United Motorsport 630 tuned ECU to try out. The car still wouldn't run, so I towed it somewhere else. Turns out the primary o2 sensor was shot (but since it wasn't throwing any o2 codes, the dealership did not look here), and they got it back up and running.

The car has always idled funny with the 630 tunes. I've heard Seimens 630 injectors idles poorly, so I bought some Bosch ev14 440's and swapped to the UM 440 tune, and the idle is solid now. It will still stall out randomly at idle and in between shifts sometimes. The system too rich codes have not showed back up, but now it runs lean and I pulled codes for misfiring and no signal from primary o2 sensor. I cleared the codes and have not had any pull back up yet; my o2 wiring looks fine and it's not even that old. Well, 2 years now, so maybe it is shot again?

I have some mystery fueling issue I'm trying to figure out.

Which codes are you getting? The ICM or system too rich? If it's the ICM code I believe the only thing to do is replace the ECU and make sure all your grounds and wiring are good. Is your car drivable or is the idle just weird?