Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jared's MK1 Scirocco Project

Vehicles
      Way too many
      04-11-2012 03:02 AM #1
      It's been a while since I've been on the vortex, my vw habit has been somewhat ignored since I got into Audis and BMW's. Anyhow, about 10 years ago when I was deep into my VW sickness, I picked up a 1980 mk1 Scirocco. The previous owner was building it to run up the Mt. Washington Hillclimb. It wasn't too much more than a fairly clean street car (for new england) when I bought it. It came with a few boxes of spare parts, a scary roll cage that was cut out of another scirocco (scrap metal to me) a mostly wired in 1.8 16v swap and a freshly rebuilt gearbox with a Quaife diff. I tinkered with it on and off over the years, it became the back-burner project after I bought my URQ (which I still haven't finished rebuilding). Fast forward to a month ago, I acquired some shop space with a couple friends of mine. I've built enough race cars for other people and crewed for even more, that I finally need something fun of my own. The Rocco got dragged over and stripped, getting it ready for its future race duty. It is destined to become a hillclimb and trackday car. Here's pics because I know that's all we care about.

arriving at the shop via my friend John's rally tow rig.

after a good power washing:

Can't wait to ditch the CIS

Parked in its new home behind my friend's nicely restored Saab 99

General nastiness after emptying out the spares

I cleaned up the interior with bleach and vacuumed all the mouse funk out. With that done I had to test fit an old race seat to check my headroom. Yay for a no sunroof car. My head clears with enough room to spare. The seat will nearly be mounted to the floor and further back than pictured. Seat, pedals, shifter, and steering will be moved rearward as far as possible.

Heater core and engine out at this point. Resumed chipping out sound deadening

Sound deadening out of rain tray. Lo and behold more rust!

Empty engine bay.

Great tool for chipping out sound deadening. Thanks to my friend John. Hammer drill on hammer only mode. Modified chisel tip with sharpened shoe welded on. Edges are rounded off so it doesn't cut thru the sheet metal. Loud as hell, but blasts thru it fast!

Floating in its new temporary home, thanks to my friend Bob for the use of his rotisserie.

Now it's really gutted

This week it get's turned on its side to tackle the rust repair on the rocker pinch welds and the area around the rear axle mounts. After that it's cage time.
      - Jared

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      MkVI
      04-11-2012 05:45 AM #2
      This project seems to have a really good and promising start!
      Looking forward to seeing the progress towards the track-ready result...

Vehicles
      81 Rocco,80 Rocco track, 81 Rocco Haldex twin charge Berg cup project, 84 Mk1 Jetta coupe
      04-11-2012 07:38 AM #3
      Specialty Mk1 products : www.tech-53.com

04-11-2012 08:13 AM #4
      I'm with Freddy Fender.....
      '80 Scirocco | 2014 X3 xDr28i | 2014 328i GT

5. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-11-2012 08:22 AM #5
      Me too!

Vehicles
      Way too many
      04-12-2012 12:19 AM #6
      Thanks guys. No updates today. Busy moving the parts I stripped off to another location. Hopefully tomorrow I'll roll it onto its side.
      - Jared

Vehicles
      Way too many
      04-13-2012 06:32 PM #7
      Got it rotated

Nasty:

Now the grinding, cutting, and welding begins.
      - Jared

Vehicles
      Way too many
      10-21-2012 01:47 AM #8
      Well not too much to update. I've been building a RX-7 drift car for someone else so this has taken the back burner unfortunately. The Scirocco is about 90% stripped of sound deadener and undercoating. Not fun work. This has given me time to work out a few details.

I have been slowly collecting vw parts for the past 15 years since I got my first Rabbit. This car was going to end up with the 2.0 16v, bike ITB's, and megasquirt that I've had on a shelf for years. The VL Option 6 020 tranny (yes 90's vintage!) was going in along with the quaife. I have a half dozen or so 020's of various codes to mix and match gear ratios from. That was the original super-low budget, fairly simple plan since I have most of the parts collecting rust.

Now that has all changed. I haven't started cutting yet as there is a lot of careful measuring to be done first, but this is where it is heading.

The new motor is sitting under the new flywheel that a friend donated to this soon to be mutant.
      Sort of.
      This new motor is just for mock up. It has a rod sticking thru the top of the case, so I have to track down another.
      - Jared