Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 62

    Thread: Mercedes-Benz Upgrades the G-Class for the 2013 Model Year

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2011
      Location
      Pee Dee Ecks
      Posts
      933
      04-11-2012 02:54 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I want a G65 now!

      First thing I'd do is get rid of the headlights and LED DRLs...and replace them with some 7" LED Truck Lites:

      That anatid don't care.

    2. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      the barrio
      Posts
      37,295
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bluetec, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      04-11-2012 03:26 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      As I always have, I still love it!
      yup

    3. Member Bakounine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2002
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,488
      Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      04-11-2012 03:31 PM #28
      Too bad they chose the super-luxurious/exotic/expensive route with that truck. This thing having military roots, a bare-bone diesel version would have been a great Wrangler Rubicon rival.

      Sure it would have been more expensive than a Wrangler, but not eye-poppingly more like it is now. That way, it would probably have enjoyed cult status for a larger audience and draw more people into MB dealerships.

    4. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      6,134
      Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-11-2012 03:55 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      Too bad they chose the super-luxurious/exotic/expensive route with that truck. This thing having military roots, a bare-bone diesel version would have been a great Wrangler Rubicon rival.

      Sure it would have been more expensive than a Wrangler, but not eye-poppingly more like it is now. That way, it would probably have enjoyed cult status for a larger audience and draw more people into MB dealerships.

      That doesn't fit in with the Mercedes image at all though. And I don't think they give two ****s at this point about drawing people in mass quantities for this vehicle at this point honestly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    5. Member NickWVU's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2006
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      159
      04-11-2012 04:16 PM #30
      CSB,
      But I worked at a guys house in the Sag Harbor area of L.I. several summers ago. He had a two door AMG cabrio (among other things). I knew it was cool, but I didn't know it was THAT cool until summer was over. No pics of the exact vehicle, but here it is.



      Ugly with the top off, due to the weird rear window. But cool, and rare from what I understand.

    6. Member Bakounine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2002
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,488
      Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      04-12-2012 10:21 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      That doesn't fit in with the Mercedes image at all though. And I don't think they give two ****s at this point about drawing people in mass quantities for this vehicle at this point honestly.
      Only in NA does Mercedes = only luxury. They also make pretty utilitarian vehicles which value robustness over luxury, e.g. Unimog, taxi cabs. We had a glimpse of this here with the Sprinter. It was more expensive than its rivals, but not terribly so and offered an interesting alternative.

      After more than 30 years of production, it would most likely not be very expensive to build if it wasn't for all the bells and whistles.
      Last edited by Bakounine; 04-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.

    7. Member 8v_gti777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2006
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      4,918
      Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      04-12-2012 10:33 AM #32
      I remember sitting in one of these and how out of place the luxury interior stuff feels. It's like they bolted it into a vehicle it wasn't intended for. But the new engines sound nice.

    8. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      6,134
      Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-12-2012 10:40 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      Only in NA does Mercedes = only luxury. They also make pretty utilitarian vehicles which value robustness over luxury, e.g. Unimog, taxi cabs. We had a glimpse of this here with the Sprinter. It was more expensive than its rivals, but not terribly so and offered an interesting alternative.

      After more than 30 years of production, it would most likely not be very expensive to build if it wasn't for all the bells and whistles.
      I'm aware. The Sprinter was also not posted on the mbusa website nor was it intended for anything except for commercial use. The G-wagen would be a private-consumption passenger vehicle, which would pose a problem for it in the U.S. Mercedes isn't willing to tarnish its upscale image here at this point.

      But I agree, a barebones version would be cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    9. 04-12-2012 10:52 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I'm aware. The Sprinter was also not posted on the mbusa website nor was it intended for anything except for commercial use. The G-wagen would be a private-consumption passenger vehicle, which would pose a problem for it in the U.S. Mercedes isn't willing to tarnish its upscale image here at this point.

      But I agree, a barebones version would be cool.
      Sprinters are sold right along S-classes in the US currently

      http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/

    10. Member Aperture's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2006
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI | Chicago, IL
      Posts
      415
      Vehicles
      '03 540i6 M-Sport, '04 996C4S Cab
      04-12-2012 11:59 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by NickWVU View Post
      CSB,
      But I worked at a guys house in the Sag Harbor area of L.I. several summers ago. He had a two door AMG cabrio (among other things). I knew it was cool, but I didn't know it was THAT cool until summer was over. No pics of the exact vehicle, but here it is.



      Ugly with the top off, due to the weird rear window. But cool, and rare from what I understand.
      This looks like an insane amount of fun. Unfortunately, it also has the proportions of a Micro Machine.
      2003 BMW 540i/6/M-Sport | 75,000 Miles | 901of1265 | TiAg/Black | Anthracite Style 37s | Bilstein PSS | M5 Rear Sway | M60 Manifold | E60 Short Shift | ZHP Knob | Titanium Trim | Mediabridge | No Dead Pixels | Properly Maintained
      2004 Porsche 911 C4S Cab | 16,500 Miles | Seal Grey / Black | X51 | PSE | PSM | Hollow Spoke Turbo Twists | Exclusive | Full Leather | Litronic | Bose | No Nav | Clear Side Markers

    11. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      6,134
      Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-12-2012 12:30 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by phofpower View Post
      Sprinters are sold right along S-classes in the US currently

      http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/
      mbusa.com does not have the sprinter. That's all I was saying. And if you can find me a picture of the sprinter right next to an S-class in the front lot or sitting inside the showroom of a Mercedes dealer, then fine. They don't do that in Atlanta, that's for sure. There's a degree of separation.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    12. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      23,097
      04-12-2012 12:33 PM #37
      My local dealer has a Smart in their showroom but no Sprinters
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      Malvern, PA
      Posts
      6,218
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      04-12-2012 12:40 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      mbusa.com does not have the sprinter. That's all I was saying. And if you can find me a picture of the sprinter right next to an S-class in the front lot or sitting inside the showroom of a Mercedes dealer, then fine. They don't do that in Atlanta, that's for sure. There's a degree of separation.
      My local dealer has them on the same lot.
      You can't call them "next to each other" but they sell both.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

    14. 04-12-2012 01:19 PM #39
      Probably my favorite Benz of all time, but I wished Mercedes offered a more utilitarian version similar to Toyota's Land Cruiser 70 series. At the same time I wished Toyota offered a 70 series Land Cruiser similar to what Mercedes does with the G wagon.

    15. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      45,111
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      04-12-2012 01:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      mbusa.com does not have the sprinter. That's all I was saying. And if you can find me a picture of the sprinter right next to an S-class in the front lot or sitting inside the showroom of a Mercedes dealer, then fine. They don't do that in Atlanta, that's for sure. There's a degree of separation.
      Drove by my local dealer on the weekend and they had two Sprinters (including a chassis cab) parked prominently in front of the showroom, not far away from a new SLK.

    16. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,545
      Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      04-12-2012 02:00 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      How does one remove sand and mud from perforated leather? Is it still okay to hose out the interior?
      Exactly! Who actually buys these to go off roading? When you spend that much on a car with luxury interior appointments, you're not gonna look for mud or test the off-roading capabilities in the sulfur pits at Yellowstone.

      Why even advertise that? Do potential buyers actually consider that? Cuz the people I've seen driving them through Beverly Hills look like they dislike going over speed bumps...might spill their latte's doncha know...

      I know most people buying SUV's don't go off-roading, but I think it's within the realm of possibility when you're buying something like a Grand Cherokee.

    17. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      23,097
      04-12-2012 02:08 PM #42
      You can't hose out a GC either.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    18. Member Pinstripe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2010
      Posts
      872
      Vehicles
      Turbocharged, AWD Volvo
      04-12-2012 03:23 PM #43
      The capability is part of what sells the car, because, my car can do it if I wanted to. Its part of the car's aura/image.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013
      Supercars in the 80s and 90s were the pinnacle of automotive tech then, and supercars are the pinnacle of automotive tech now. What's changed is you--when you were a kid you looked forward, and now you're looking back.

    19. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      6,134
      Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      04-12-2012 03:27 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Drove by my local dealer on the weekend and they had two Sprinters (including a chassis cab) parked prominently in front of the showroom, not far away from a new SLK.
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      My local dealer has them on the same lot.
      You can't call them "next to each other" but they sell both.
      This will be my last post in this thread () but you guys did not disprove my point at all. In the show room does not equal in front of the showroom (unless you used the wrong preposition by accident) and I never disputed that dealers sell both.

      EDIT:

      Quote Originally Posted by Autoweek
      Mercedes would not require a separate facility for the display of Sprinters, but they won't be on the showroom floor with passenger cars or light trucks. Dealers can dedicate part of their outside lots, and "it could be a roofed area--that is how we did it in other countries," said Lieb
      Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...#ixzz1rr9pBeQV
      Last edited by TangoRed; 04-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    20. 04-12-2012 03:46 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      Too bad they chose the super-luxurious/exotic/expensive route with that truck. This thing having military roots, a bare-bone diesel version would have been a great Wrangler Rubicon rival.

      Sure it would have been more expensive than a Wrangler, but not eye-poppingly more like it is now. That way, it would probably have enjoyed cult status for a larger audience and draw more people into MB dealerships.
      There's a rugged version, it's the G-Class Professional, provided only with a diesel 3 liter V6 engine with 183 hp and automatic transmission, it's similar to the military spec and expensive.





      (G-Classe Edition Pur Limited Edition) :




    21. Member Aperture's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2006
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI | Chicago, IL
      Posts
      415
      Vehicles
      '03 540i6 M-Sport, '04 996C4S Cab
      04-12-2012 05:05 PM #46
      ^^That's more like it!^^

      Back when they were grey-market imports I saw a G300(?) diesel with silver paint and a green plaid interior at one of the local used import lots.
      2003 BMW 540i/6/M-Sport | 75,000 Miles | 901of1265 | TiAg/Black | Anthracite Style 37s | Bilstein PSS | M5 Rear Sway | M60 Manifold | E60 Short Shift | ZHP Knob | Titanium Trim | Mediabridge | No Dead Pixels | Properly Maintained
      2004 Porsche 911 C4S Cab | 16,500 Miles | Seal Grey / Black | X51 | PSE | PSM | Hollow Spoke Turbo Twists | Exclusive | Full Leather | Litronic | Bose | No Nav | Clear Side Markers

    22. 04-12-2012 05:18 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by sp_wh View Post
      There's a rugged version, it's the G-Class Professional, provided only with a diesel 3 liter V6 engine with 183 hp and automatic transmission, it's similar to the military spec and expensive.





      (G-Classe Edition Pur Limited Edition) :



      so much win.jpg

    23. Member omoderncultureo's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2011
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      2,640
      04-14-2012 02:18 PM #48





    24. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,382
      Blog Entries
      6
      04-14-2012 03:28 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      That doesn't fit in with the American Mercedes image at all though. And I don't think they give two ****s at this point about drawing people in mass quantities for this vehicle at this point honestly.
      Really, I hate these trucks. Not that I don't appreciate the machinery for what it was - but rather for the fact that it's gotten some kind of urban fascination about it that is just making it a joke.

      This truck, in it's best trim, is a diesel with a hose-able interior. All this non-sense of making it a $100k "luxury" vehicle is beyond silly and I have to rolleyes at the people who buy them for status. It's really like a big joke and MB is laughing all the way to the bank with it.

      I can't wait for this to go off the market and get replaced by something like the Jeep Compass that really meets the needs of most owners at triple the cost so they can be proud of the expense.

    25. 04-15-2012 12:15 AM #50
      I love how AMG goes wild with adorning this old lady.

      I can't say I hate this these, I love how solid they feel old school mb build quality with new school power how can i hate it.

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •