Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet for an extremely picky eater?

1. 04-11-2012 09:53 AM #1
      Let me start this off by saying, I am an extremely picky eater. I basically have the taste buds of a 5 year stuck in a 30 year old mans body. It's sad. I'm talking go to McDonalds to get a cheeseburger and the only thing on it is ketchup. Tacos at Taco Bell = no lettuce, no tomatoes, no sauce, NOTHING. I like very few vegetables and most meats but I'm trying to find a steady diet I can stick to in order to start losing weight. Any and all advice you all may have is appreciated. Thanks.
      www.DownSouthDubs.com
      It's like Expedia.com, but without flight plans or the catchy jingle

2. 04-11-2012 09:54 AM #2
      I do like:
      regular yellow corn (corn on the cob or canned, no creamed corn or anything)
      potatoes (fried, baked or mashed, no augratin/scalloped)
      green beans
      cabbage
      spinach/kale
      white rice (chicken fried rice as well/no veggies)
      I'm pretty good at cutting out fried foods and I love grilled chicken.
      www.DownSouthDubs.com

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      04-11-2012 10:17 AM #3
      I'd start by cutting out McD's and Taco Bell.

Find lean meats and fresh vegetables you like. Cook them in a healthy way and eat them in moderation. Eating healthy isn't rocket science. Fruit, vegetables, lean meat. Cut out processed food, lower your salt and fat intake. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. Figure out what your maintenance caloric intake is and cut it by 250/day.

What are your goals? Do you exercise?

4. 04-11-2012 10:38 AM #4
      Stop being a baby. Not liking the taste of something is a pathetic reason not to eat it. I hate vegetables, but I still eat them every day. Do you want to be healthy or do you want to have 5 minutes of enjoying a ****ty cheeseburger from a poison fast food restaurant?

Eating is training.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      04-11-2012 11:40 AM #5
      Your picky eater syndrome actually sounds awesome for getting your diet on track.
      Take the vegetables you like, and eat the **** out of them.
      Take the meats you like, and eat them how you like it. Plain as ****.

There is no problem here. All this **** here is perfect to eat.
      regular yellow corn (corn on the cob or canned, no creamed corn or anything)
      potatoes (fried, baked or mashed, no augratin/scalloped)
      green beans
      cabbage
      spinach/kale
      white rice (chicken fried rice as well/no veggies)
      I'm pretty good at cutting out fried foods and I love grilled chicken.

6. 04-11-2012 12:02 PM #6
      Honestly I think spoolin has it right, my two sense is this, the people I see bitching about being picky eaters and trying to make an excuse to exclude foods because they don't "taste good" are unhealthy eaters to begin with

I'll be honest with you clean food doesn't have the intense flavor of unhealthy food, but you stick with it and it WILL grow on, you. When i was the little fat kid, I absolutely hated cooked spinach, now at holiday meals (my family eats the **** out of the stuff) I pile my plate with it and I love the stuff, other examples are broccoli, and your taste buds have to and will IMO adapt to a healthy diet. It's just that simple nothing esoteric about it. I say all this and I have never been a picky eat, save a few things I'd eat whatever was put it in front me, but it was a challenge in its own right because I had to push away the bad stuff and pile on the clean foods

that's why the american diet has moved in this direction IMO, because we're so focused on instant gratification. Not trying to be a dick but training and dieting (and i'm no superstar) are hard by definition, out of the gate, it's put up or shut up, until you develop habits that suit you and you find clean foods you like but initially you need an open mind. It's the traditional way of thinking that put us in these situations (myself included)

edit: just wanted to say I got jumpy and I didn't see your second post, those are good foods but IMO i would dump the white rice for the brown alternative much more health benefit, while white can have some negative effects from what i've read
      Last edited by vwcool; 04-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      04-11-2012 12:19 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Stop being a baby. Not liking the taste of something is a pathetic reason not to eat it. I hate vegetables, but I still eat them every day. Do you want to be healthy or do you want to have 5 minutes of enjoying a ****ty cheeseburger from a poison fast food restaurant?

Eating is training.

I was going to say the same thing. Put on your big boy pants and eat your veggies!
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      04-11-2012 05:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by vwcool View Post
      edit: just wanted to say I got jumpy and I didn't see your second post, those are good foods but IMO i would dump the white rice for the brown alternative much more health benefit, while white can have some negative effects from what i've read
      The only difference is the husk being left on for brown rice. There are some minor health benefits in the husk that can be had, but, it's nothing so staggering that if you don't like it, you should force it down.

It's been said time and time again, that carbs are carbs, when it comes to body composition. Sure, if you are trying to hit micronutrients, then the brown rice may be the better choice, but in all reality, as long as your macros are right, and you're eating the correct amount, a carb is a carb.

And, everyone is jumping on the guys back for not eating healthy, but I think he was only listing the fast food options as a way to explain how simple his tastes really are. His list of foods he does like is real damn clean.

I would make a sure fire bet that the OPs issue is not entirely what he eats, but, how much he eats, and how it is broken down. Just a shot in the dark, but I bet he is over eating, and the majority of these calories are carbohydrates.
      Last edited by kryptonik; 04-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      04-11-2012 05:40 PM #9
      force yourself to eat a new food every day. Eating some lettuce won't kill you, just do it

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      04-12-2012 09:11 AM #10
      Could there by ways to prepare the vegetables-foods you don't like in a way that you would like?

I absolutely hate squash, but if I throw them in with stir fry and add a tad bit of sauce I'll eat them.

My brother-in-law is doing the paleo diet, and he mentioned taking cauliflower, mashing them up and microwaving them. He said they came out tasting a lot like mashed potatoes.
      Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr

11. 04-12-2012 10:02 AM #11
      Not liking the taste of something is a pathetic reason not to eat it.
      Who are you, Bear Grylls? I hope you don't greet every newcomer to this forum with that level of hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      I'd start by cutting out McD's and Taco Bell.

What are your goals? Do you exercise?
      Yeah, cutting out fast food won't be a problem at all. Plus it helps me save money
      And I've recently started exercising again. Nothing too crazy right now as I don't want to overwhelm myself right off the bat. But a good daily regiment of stretches, walking, push ups and crunches. With some jogging and some biking to be mixed in once I get a chance to get my flat fixed. And my goals to obviously lose some weight, but more importantly just to get myself back into a healthier lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      And, everyone is jumping on the guys back for not eating healthy, but I think he was only listing the fast food options as a way to explain how simple his tastes really are.
      Thank you. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
      www.DownSouthDubs.com

12. 04-12-2012 10:23 AM #12
      I used to be picky. it's childish and a PITA.

spoolin is right, I don't much care for broccoli, and I HATE doing lunges....and yet, I eat broccoli and I do lunges.

I also don't like wearing khaki pants to work. I don't like white dress shirts, I don't like missing the gym do to work schedule. I don't like waiting in line at the grocery store, I hate yellow ties, when I go 3-4 hours without food, I get fussy, etc.

being a mildly picky eater is one thing, being a really picky eater is childish. So unless you're still a child, it's time to man up and eat your vegetables johnny.

13. 04-12-2012 11:24 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Hollagraphik View Post
      Who are you, Bear Grylls?
      Yes.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      04-12-2012 02:21 PM #14
      Who are you, Bear Grylls? I hope you don't greet every newcomer to this forum with that level of hospitality.

Yeah, cutting out fast food won't be a problem at all. Plus it helps me save money
      And I've recently started exercising again. Nothing too crazy right now as I don't want to overwhelm myself right off the bat. But a good daily regiment of stretches, walking, push ups and crunches. With some jogging and some biking to be mixed in once I get a chance to get my flat fixed. And my goals to obviously lose some weight, but more importantly just to get myself back into a healthier lifestyle.

Thank you. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
      no he is a realist. grow thicker skin. many/most people eat healthy food to be healthy, not because they like how it tastes.

cutting fast food actually may not save you money. a McD's cheesburger is $1 and is 300 calories. to eat that many calories in veggies is going to cost you way more than $1.

edit:
      just as a comparison 1 bunch of kale is usually about $2 near me. i would have to eat 21 oz of kale to hit similar calories to eating a single $1.

just a guess, but to get nearly a pound and a half of kale is going to be what... 2-3 bundles, so very easily going to cost you $4-6.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 04-12-2012 at 03:07 PM.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

15. 04-12-2012 02:59 PM #15
      Eating healthy is expensive as hell.

16. 04-12-2012 03:21 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      I'm 200lbs and an ecto, I eat pretty clean most of the time.

not including eating out, my grocery bills (according to actual money spent on my yodlee account, not a guestimate) says I average $216 a month.

17. 04-12-2012 03:45 PM #17
      Allow me to re-phrase. Eating healthy can be expensive as hell. I know some people who eat healthy that "have" to buy all organic, fresh, etc. which jacks the cost up beyond what most of us would still consider healthy. Only $216 a month is great.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 06:18 PM #18
      Allow me to re-phrase. Eating healthy can be expensive as hell. I know some people who eat healthy that "have" to buy all organic, fresh, etc. which jacks the cost up beyond what most of us would still consider healthy. Only $216 a month is great.
      you don't have to rephrase it. Eating healthy food is more expensive than eating junk.

19. 04-12-2012 07:33 PM #19
      Actually I've found if I buy local stuff, it's not too bad. I found a place I can get locally grown grass fed beef for $7/lb.

I feel like a hippy but the only thing I now buy at the grocery store is bananas.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2012 01:34 AM #20
      Actually I've found if I buy local stuff, it's not too bad. I found a place I can get locally grown grass fed beef for $7/lb.

I feel like a hippy but the only thing I now buy at the grocery store is bananas.
      250% increase is pretty significant

21. 04-13-2012 07:54 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Techun View Post
      250% increase is pretty significant
      That's a decrease for me.

If you eat grain fed beef you might as well off yourself now.

04-13-2012 07:55 AM #22
      Is that for just lunch ?

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      04-13-2012 09:38 AM #23
      For two eating healthy our bill is around $350/month. That's almost every meal. However that is a pretty boring lunch and breakfast.

That's based on Costco/WalMart.
      Flickr

24. 04-13-2012 02:44 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by SurferbobGolf View Post
      For two eating healthy our bill is around $350/month. That's almost every meal. However that is a pretty boring lunch and breakfast.

That's based on Costco/WalMart.
      In reality, you can't truly eat healthy purchasing food at Costco/Walmart

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      04-13-2012 03:18 PM #25
      In reality, you can't truly eat healthy purchasing food at Costco/Walmart

They have every kind of meat/poultry/fish you can imagine. A plethora of vegetables. A ton of fruit. All of which are fresh.
      Then they have an even more enormous amount of frozen meat/vegetables/fruit.
      Plus they have greek yogurt.
      Protein powder.
      Eggs.
      Milk.
      Tuna.
      Variety of nuts, and jerky.
      Olive Oil.

These are all things I routinely buy at Costco. How is this "not truly healthy"?

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      04-13-2012 03:32 PM #26

And Wal-Mart has all of that as well.
      Flickr

27. Member
      Vehicles
      04-13-2012 05:27 PM #27
      That's a decrease for me.

If you eat grain fed beef you might as well off yourself now.

you are the 0.01%

28. 04-13-2012 11:50 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post

They have every kind of meat/poultry/fish you can imagine. A plethora of vegetables. A ton of fruit. All of which are fresh.
      Then they have an even more enormous amount of frozen meat/vegetables/fruit.
      Plus they have greek yogurt.
      Protein powder.
      Eggs.
      Milk.
      Tuna.
      Variety of nuts, and jerky.
      Olive Oil.

These are all things I routinely buy at Costco. How is this "not truly healthy"?

None of it is local=none of it is really all that good for you. Chemicals, antibiotics, grain fed meat, farm raised fish.

04-14-2012 10:02 AM #29
      Let me start this off by saying, I am an extremely picky eater. I basically have the taste buds of a 5 year stuck in a 30 year old mans body. It's sad. I'm talking go to McDonalds to get a cheeseburger and the only thing on it is ketchup. Tacos at Taco Bell = no lettuce, no tomatoes, no sauce, NOTHING. I like very few vegetables and most meats but I'm trying to find a steady diet I can stick to in order to start losing weight. Any and all advice you all may have is appreciated. Thanks.
      Just continue, but control your calories better. A Big Mac is like 540 cal and will replace easily a meal. I don't know about Taco.

When I lost weight, I was going to McDonald's, Subway (and still go) and other fast foods regularly 2-3x/week. No side dish and only no calories drinks.

30. 04-14-2012 10:14 AM #30
      Oh here comes Saintor with his infinite nutritional wisdom...

OP if you want to be a skinny-fat (or as it's called in the medical field: Normal weight obese) do what that joker above is suggesting.

If you want to actually be healthy and fit, start eating real, locally produced food.

04-14-2012 10:32 AM #31
      Oh here comes Saintor with his infinite nutritional wisdom...

OP if you want to be a skinny-fat (or as it's called in the medical field: Normal weight obese) do what that joker above is suggesting.

If you want to actually be healthy and fit, start eating real, locally produced food.
      Of course, you have no clue what you are talking about. I do some resistance training and I am more athletic than skinny-fat, mind you.

Despite frequenting fast food restaurant for decades, my average blood pressure for a 44yo is like 109/73, which is at the minimum of range for 15-19yo.

OP, just don't listen to little Ayatollahs such as our knows-it-all friend above.

32. 04-14-2012 11:08 AM #32
      saintor - you're just wrong, flat out, no other explanation, WRONG.

there are other important factors to consider in foods than just calories. just because a big mac has 540 calories, does not mean it should be used as a meal replacement.

first, the macro nutrient ratio is a disaster. which may not matter for how much you weigh, but it will matter for how you look. Now if you and OP don't care about how you look, have at it.

Secondly, the makeup of the macro nutrients themselves is not equal. Processed food is well known for it's breakdown and suffered quality of protein and fat quality. So again, if you don't care how you look or how to reacts in your body, then have at it.

There are plenty of people with normal blood pressure and normal weight who eat McDonald. However, this is the HEALTH & FITNESS forum. So we tend to want to be a bit above the average "I don't look THAT bad in a mirror" goal of most Americans.

I'm gonna go ahead and just say: Mcdonalds and fast food has NO PLACE in a healthy diet, not even as a cheat meal. Can you eat it? SURE! is there ANY REASON at all that you ever SHOULD, no, not once, not ever. The better you want to look/feel/perform the more you should stay away from this crap.

33. 04-14-2012 12:03 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      Of course, you have no clue what you are talking about.

You're right, afterall you have your own personal anecdotal evidence, where all I have is education, certifications, and about 300+ clients of proof.

04-14-2012 12:41 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      saintor - you're just wrong, flat out, no other explanation, WRONG.

there are other important factors to consider in foods than just calories. just because a big mac has 540 calories, does not mean it should be used as a meal replacement.
      It can certainly. I am not suggesting using it as a replacement most the time. Occasionally, it won't hurt you despite the Religious tone of some over-zealous people here.

It is foolish to suggest that fast food has zero nutrition. A BM for instance provides almost half of the daily required proteins for a normal person. Sugar is relatively low and there is even 3g of fiber in it (like an apple). The real problem is the sodium. But after decades, it didn't harden my arteries, as proven by my low blood pressure.

This guy could contribute too.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...h-Big-Mac.html

OP, continue to eat them in moderation along with a fair variation of food. It will not kill you.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-14-2012 01:45 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      It can certainly. I am not suggesting using it as a replacement most the time. Occasionally, it won't hurt you despite the Religious tone of some over-zealous people here.

It is foolish to suggest that fast food has zero nutrition. A BM for instance provides almost half of the daily required proteins for a normal person. Sugar is relatively low and there is even 3g of fiber in it (like an apple). The real problem is the sodium. But after decades, it didn't harden my arteries, as proven by my low blood pressure.

This guy could contribute too.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...h-Big-Mac.html

OP, continue to eat them in moderation along with a fair variation of food. It will not kill you.
      Arsenic won't kill you either, when taken in moderate doses. Long term health effects are a different story, tho. McDonalds=arsenic as far as I'm concerned. I'm not eating it, evah!
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast