Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine block paint ?

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTI
      04-11-2012 12:04 PM #1
      Hi all,

I'm going to pull out my engine (JH) soon, and while it is out I would like to repaint parts of the block in black color. What is the best painting solution to withstand the temperatures and other stuff in the engine bay? Any particular brand?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-11-2012 12:37 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by GTISilverRabbit View Post
      Hi all,

I'm going to pull out my engine (JH) soon, and while it is out I would like to repaint parts of the block in black color. What is the best painting solution to withstand the temperatures and other stuff in the engine bay? Any particular brand?
      for the engine BLOCK, you can use any old paint. it doesnt get that hot..

3. Member
      04-12-2012 03:12 AM #3
      Go to about any auto parts store and you can buy "engine paint" in many colors. It costs the same or about the same as normal spray paint and is sometimes sold in two heat ranges. Just to be clear I am not talking about "header" paint which has a much higher heat range and is most times only in blacl or white. I don't know the temperature of ". . . that hot." but my engines were always hotter than the suggested range for standard spray paint, hot enough that you can't hold your hand against the metal after running for a while. But yeah, any old spray paint should hold up for at least a little while before you have to do it again I guess.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-12-2012 12:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by WaterWheels View Post
      Go to about any auto parts store and you can buy "engine paint" in many colors. It costs the same or about the same as normal spray paint and is sometimes sold in two heat ranges. Just to be clear I am not talking about "header" paint which has a much higher heat range and is most times only in blacl or white. I don't know the temperature of ". . . that hot." but my engines were always hotter than the suggested range for standard spray paint, hot enough that you can't hold your hand against the metal after running for a while. But yeah, any old spray paint should hold up for at least a little while before you have to do it again I guess.
      blocks get no hotter than the cooling liquid inside them... and thats NOT THAT HOT..

compare that to a turbo.. a turbo is HOTTTT.

ive used 96cent a can wal-mart paint with as good of results as the $6/can ceramic impregnated paint.. its all about the prep work, and coverage.. if you dont prep the surface good, it dont matter what paint it is, its not gonna stick for hell... and if you dont spray enough coats/thick enough coats, then again, doesnt matter how expensive, or what temp rating your paint has, its not gonna work good..

again, you can use normal cheap spray paint on the block, since its never going to be SUPER HOT.

blocks dont care unless you overheat the holy hell out of them, then your paint MIGHT dis-color or flake off, if you overheat it bad enough.