Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Joys of a really good dealer - Tensioner content

Vehicles
      2008 DBM R32 # 3783, 2009 GLI
      04-11-2012 12:27 PM #1
      Well i took the R32 in for an oil change and eyeball exam prior to the trip to the Dragon next week....

Told my Tech I heard a rattling, odd sound on startup, that then kinda went away mostly.

He told me the tensioner was bad, ( @ 33,091 miles), and replaced it & the belt.... so he starts to back off the lift and the new belt comes apart for no apparent reason.
      Not another belt in parts, so they are keeping the R until probably tomorrow, unless the Audi dealer has one..

He endores my UM DSG tune as the best he's driven and the DSG tune as a customer pleaser,
      he says people stop complaining asfter the tune that the DSG has issues.... go figure!!

Everything else is 100%.

Brakes are 65-70% material left(!!)
      Nitto 555's measured out at 5/32nds in the thinnest spot, and have been on since 16,052 miles....

PSS2's won't be going on prior to the excursion now.

Interesting note:
      He had just worked on a 2004 R32 ( Blue of course), with 209,500 miles on it, original owner in his 60's who drives 240 miles/day RT to his work.
      The car has perfect compression and has never had a failure other than ignition coils.... it is 100% stock and the owner plans to go 500,000 miles before doing anything - Freaking Amazing!!!!!
      He changes his oil every 10,000 miles and does his other fluids once a year.

VR6's are tough Mothers!
      I have VCDS
      Old Geezer addicted to cars, bikes, racing and my Grandkids and The Dragon
      oldracer = used to race 911's and many other cars for 25 years, owned a race/fabrication shop for 11 years
      UM Combo tune, PSS Michelins, garage queen at his point

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      04-11-2012 12:32 PM #2
      that's awesome. i have had positive warranty dealer experiences here at 2 places in DFW. good dealers are worth driving for.

i also plan to run this dog past 200k. 500k sounds more right. i'm not worried about the VR6 at all. DSG & Haldex don't totally help me sleep at night though. but so far so good. of course i'm only at 66,666. true story.
      function/form

Vehicles
      2007 Audi 8P S3
      04-11-2012 12:33 PM #3
      AWESOME!

Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      04-11-2012 02:50 PM #4
      Nice..I plan on keeping my R for life so hopefully, I'll be in the same position (but doing less DD) someday with mine. There is no reason why the car won't last if you take good care of it.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

Vehicles
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS GB
      04-11-2012 09:56 PM #5
      Longevity is nice to hear! I have no plans on mine parting the family either.
      Thx!
      Ripdubski
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS 2.Slow AutoTragic GB
      Flickr

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      04-11-2012 10:08 PM #6
      Good to hear! Had mine replaced recently at well. Anyone who is waiting for this to fail is really asking for trouble. See you next week!
      instagram: @baconfenders | Bagged APR Stage 2+ Golf R

Vehicles
      MkV .:R32 #920 DBP
      04-11-2012 10:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
      Told my Tech I heard a rattling, odd sound on startup, that then kinda went away mostly.

He told me the tensioner was bad...
      exactly were did it sound like the noise was comming from?
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae
      we enthusiasts know what it is, but to the common peons it's just another golf.

Vehicles
      2008 CW Rabbit (Sold), 2008 DPB R32 (Sold), 2012 SBM GTI
      04-11-2012 10:50 PM #8
      My tensioner failed a few months after I bought the car (used) driving 70mph down the highway one Sunday morning. I heard a thud, thought I had just hit a piece of road debris (it was pouring, poor visibility). Got it shut down and coasted to the shoulder before the car could get too hot to do any damage; no water pump, obviously.

Called Geico, they sent out a tow truck for FREE. I was really concerned about my front valance dragging since I am lowered, but the driver was awesome and packed some 2x4's for such issues. Dropped the car off at the dealer and waited til Monday.

When the dealer heard my story, they set me up with a loaner, free parts and labor, and a free oil change (total repair was quoted at over $700). Did I mention the car was out of the warranty period?! (Less than 1,000 miles out, but they could have easily charged me for the work)

I'd say for such an unfortunate experience, I was pretty lucky!

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      04-12-2012 01:13 AM #9
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

04-12-2012 01:31 AM #10
      nice, i inquired and my service writer said the tensioner would be replaced if it failed, but the belt would not be as it was a "wear" item. * hint * this is the only VW dealer in SF.... needless to say, i'm looking for another dealer and even am willing to drive far to find a good one. you're lucky to have a good one.

after the end of the month when work is not as busy, i hope i can get the free check up as i will be out of warranty in july.

shark ~

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 12:13 PM #11
      It was initially difficult to determine exactly where the noise was coming from, I could hear it bouncing off my garage wall.

So I got out my stethoscope, had Mrs oldracer start the car and narrowed it down to the tensioner area.....

True the belt isn't covered unless it's a victim of the tensioner failure, mine was...

I get my car back today..... YEAH!!! I miss it when it's not here!

My retirement plans increasingly are driving me towards a shop, perhaps.
      Too many poor alternatives that leave enthusiasts little choice.....

I have several VW/PORSCHE/AUDI techs I can get, thinking about the cost/stress etc.

Being a perfectionist who doesn't suffer fools well and abhors stupidity, I'd probably need charm school.....
      When I had my shop for 13 years, we refused to work on lots of cars due to no interest or customers attitude.
      I am still friendy with many of my customers today.... some 35 years later

By & large my customers were knowledgeable and willing to pay for exactly what they wanted.

911 customers were always the best, they only asked - when do I get my car back?
      I love racecar work... street vehicles are fun if the owner is savvy......
      I have VCDS
      oldracer = used to race 911's and many other cars for 25 years, owned a race/fabrication shop for 11 years

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 05:33 PM #12
      My baby was just dropped off at my house all spotless and pristine....

Lack of noise is noticeable after tensioner/belt replacement.

Disclaimer: Yes my son is my Service Writer... However I have been using this dealership for the 22 years it's been in existence with excellent results.
      He just delivers as they live near us.

He and my Tech give the UM combo tune 4

All that's left is to do isR&B tires and we're done!!
      I have VCDS