Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Loss of power under heavy accelleration?

1. 04-11-2012 06:02 PM #1
      Ok I recently did the timing belt and the waterpump. Took it for a few mile drive and it drove great. Then today I replaced the oil cooler seal and changed the oil, started it up to check for leaks. Everything was good so I took it for a drive. Once I hit 3000 rpm's in first i lose all power and it feels like I am being jerked in the opposite direction. Once I let off the gas pedal and then resume it will begin to accelerate normally again until I give it too much gas and it does it again at around 2500 rpm in second. I'm at a loss. Did I bump something around the oil cooler that could cause this or is this just completely unrelated?

Also the car will idle just fine and I can rev it up all I want in Neutral.

It seems the more stuff I fix, the more stuff that breaks.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      04-12-2012 07:26 AM #2
      OK, the first thing we need to know is year/model/engine code.

Next step is to scan for codes. Post up what you find.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

3. 04-12-2012 09:13 AM #3
      Well thats a problem too. Its an obd II from a 98 jetta, swapped into a mk2, so I don't have anyway to check for codes I don't think.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      04-15-2012 02:03 PM #4
      Does it rev really high when you start it? It could be the throttle body. It might need to be adapted.

5. 04-15-2012 02:29 PM #5
      I ended up redoing the timing for lack of a better idea and that was my problem. I was off a tooth and it threw me in limp mode im guessing. So far it has been running great now. Thanks though.

It was odd that it initially drove great and then went into limp mode after x amount of miles.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      04-17-2012 06:05 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenWagen View Post
      I ended up redoing the timing for lack of a better idea and that was my problem. I was off a tooth and it threw me in limp mode im guessing. So far it has been running great now. Thanks though.

It was odd that it initially drove great and then went into limp mode after x amount of miles.
      Once, I purchased a 1996 2.0 from a dealer. The car was beat - they sold it to the dealer for 2,000 and the dealer sold it to me for 800! The guy who scammed the dealer pulled all of the check engine bulbs out, and did alot of shady stuff. I fixed everything that was wrong, and it ran great. I went to put a cam in it, and it was off a tooth. ABA's seem to be indestructible. Lol.