Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Some assistance needed....

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      04-11-2012 08:06 PM #1
      Need a but of help diagnosing a problem.

Last week I installed a Neuspeed intake on the car. Almost immediately it felt like it lost a lot of power. When scanned, an intermittent MAF fault code showed up. Cleared the code and the car ran fine... For about 10km, than back to 'limp' mode. Rechecked the intake for leaks... Nothing. Cleaned the MAF... Still didn't help. Finally replaced the MAF with a new one... Car started off running fine but went limp after another 10km. No faults found with vag com...

Pulled the DV and did a visual check for any damage and it appears to be ok. The DV was changed for the updated F revision last August.

Each time the car goes into limp mode, when I do a fault code erase using the APR software tge car runs five for a bit than goes limp again... Every time I scan the car when in limp mode there are NO faults found, but when I clear faults anyway, the car runs fine for a while.

I'm all out of ideas at this point... If it was the DV again why would it work fine for a while and than put the car in limp mode? When I run the car in stock mode the car is very sluggish... When using the 93 octane program, the car is only a bit slower than normal stock when it goes into limp mode...

Vehicles
      2007 A3 Premium DSG
      04-11-2012 08:58 PM #2
      APR Software? Do you have access to VAGCOM to run some logs?
      Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Reconnect and let the car idle for a few minites.
      Also have you posted this question in the 2.0T FSI forum?
      2007 A3 Premium, DSG, Lava Grey, Votex body kit, BSH PCV, Comp Catch Can, APR Stg1.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      04-11-2012 10:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mattA3 View Post
      APR Software? Do you have access to VAGCOM to run some logs?
      Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Reconnect and let the car idle for a few minites.
      Also have you posted this question in the 2.0T FSI forum?
      DOH...!!!

Never occurred to me to post it there. I have had some ridiculous issues with APR software before, but they were never anything to do with engine performance. Only the security lock out activating itself while I'm driving on the highway... Unless this is some retarded way the Valet mode activates randomly...

I did make an observation though. The car goes into limp mode after cruising on the highway... Since the new MAF went in twice I drove to take care of an errand, took the highway there, limp mode, took the regular roads back... No limp mode.

I will try the whole battery thing tomorrow, see if that helps solve the issue.

This is my first new car and I seem to be cursed with these weird, one in a million issues...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3
      04-12-2012 07:39 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon001 View Post
      DOH...!!!

Never occurred to me to post it there. I have had some ridiculous issues with APR software before, but they were never anything to do with engine performance. Only the security lock out activating itself while I'm driving on the highway... Unless this is some retarded way the Valet mode activates randomly...

I did make an observation though. The car goes into limp mode after cruising on the highway... Since the new MAF went in twice I drove to take care of an errand, took the highway there, limp mode, took the regular roads back... No limp mode.

I will try the whole battery thing tomorrow, see if that helps solve the issue.

This is my first new car and I seem to be cursed with these weird, one in a million issues...
      I had something like this when I installed my CAI. It was a while ago and I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. I cleaned the MAF, reset the connectors, I think at the end I cleaned throttle body and performed addaptation... again it was over an year ago. GL!

5. 04-12-2012 12:33 PM #5
      This may be a stupid sugestion but I had my MAF out last weekend and it looks like it can be installed backwards. Are you shure it is pointing the right direction.

If thats not the problem I would start by logging 003-2 Intake Air Mass.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      04-12-2012 01:20 PM #6
      Already checked the MAF ... The intake is facing the direction the air is coming from.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 1987 Scirocco 16V
      04-12-2012 01:55 PM #7
      Already checked the MAF ... The intake is facing the direction the air is coming from.
      The F has been replaced by an N breather. There should still be an open recall on your vehicle. If you PM me your VIN I can find out for you.

That would be the first place I would check.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      04-14-2012 07:04 PM #8
      Well... Got the problem sorted out...

Here is the progression of events...

After the issue started, check the MAF, clean the MAF, replaced the MAF... Did throttle body adaptation... Checked all the fittings for leaks... Checked the DV... Appeared fine. 3 days later I went to replace the DV and this is what came out.

Replaced the DV... Car still goes into limp mode... Finally put the stock intake back on and the car seems to be back to normal again. Will need to drive it a bit more to be truly sure though.

Think I got the wrong Neuspeed, the MAF was in the wrong place and was throwing off the readings causing the car to overboost and blew the DV. The MAF is about 3" right of where it was on stock.

Officially biggest PITA I've ever had with this car... And there were several.

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 08:37 PM #9
      Well... Got the problem sorted out...

Here is the progression of events...

After the issue started, check the MAF, clean the MAF, replaced the MAF... Did throttle body adaptation... Checked all the fittings for leaks... Checked the DV... Appeared fine. 3 days later I went to replace the DV and this is what came out.

Replaced the DV... Car still goes into limp mode... Finally put the stock intake back on and the car seems to be back to normal again. Will need to drive it a bit more to be truly sure though.

Think I got the wrong Neuspeed, the MAF was in the wrong place and was throwing off the readings causing the car to overboost and blew the DV. The MAF is about 3" right of where it was on stock.

Officially biggest PITA I've ever had with this car... And there were several.
      Damn !!! I hope Neuspeed is going to cover parts and labour on that! Hope everything gets resolved soon.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      04-16-2012 08:44 PM #10
      Neuspeed gave me a sales pitch on their intakes and says that he never heard of any issues like it an it has to be the APR software since its inferior to the Neuspeed software...

In other words I'm stuck with a useless intake...

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 09:00 PM #11
      Neuspeed gave me a sales pitch on their intakes and says that he never heard of any issues like it an it has to be the APR software since its inferior to the Neuspeed software...

In other words I'm stuck with a useless intake...
      ****in pricks! Customer service is a myth. I bet there's at least a dozen people on this forum who have both APR software and neuspeed intake with no problems... If I didn't buy my Scirocco, I'd totally take the intake off your hands and try to make her work, but the Scirocco has all my funding now... Still cheaper then the GF!

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 Sportback
      04-16-2012 09:35 PM #12
      So which one are you bringing to the meet?

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 09:43 PM #13
      So which one are you bringing to the meet?
      Lmao A3... the Scirocco isn't even registered. It's getting stripped out, re-built, and raced. Hopefully by the end of the summer too!

Unfortunately I'm back on night shift for the next 8 weeks. Therefore, no Thursday night meets for 8 weeks

Either way I'm just happy our dealership is busy enough to have a night shift. Better then being bored off my ass...