Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dark Shadows (Tim Burton & Johnny Depp)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1992/Corrado VR6
      04-11-2012 08:13 PM #1
      I wish they did another film. Tim's own creation at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchfilm.net
      Burton. Depp. It's a collaboration that has yielded some striking results. And, in recent years, some significantly less striking ones. Which will their revisiting of classic television series Dark Shadows be? The first trailer provides a clue.

In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet-or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy...until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive. Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles.

Check the trailer below!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      04-11-2012 09:54 PM #2
      This is probably the first time I've said this about a Depp/Burton movie - it looks absolutely horrible. They turned it into a comedy?? No thanks....

Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      04-11-2012 10:27 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      This is probably the first time I've said this about a Depp/Burton movie - it looks absolutely horrible. They turned it into a comedy?? No thanks....
      I personally don't have a problem with them going for a comedy. Dark Shadows was pure schmaltz. I can't imagine it as anything more than a few laughs.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

MKV GTI : 4dr / TR / 50mm Vogtland & FK cup kit / 27mm Hotchkis RSB / S6 Reps / Stubby Antenna / Baby seat!!!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      04-12-2012 07:32 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      I personally don't have a problem with them going for a comedy. Dark Shadows was pure schmaltz. I can't imagine it as anything more than a few laughs.
      And I would agree, if I didn't think it looks like a *bad* comedy - it just looks really bad in my opinion.

5. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-12-2012 07:53 AM #5
      Not a Tim Burton fan. And this looks bad.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-12-2012 12:00 PM #6
      Is it bad that I couldn't even finish the trailer?

99% of the time I enjoy Burton/Depp... but this looks AWFUL.

7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-12-2012 12:18 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Is it bad that I couldn't even finish the trailer?
      Bad for them, good for you.

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      04-12-2012 02:02 PM #8
      I will definitely give it a shot.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      04-13-2012 11:05 PM #9
      I'm swet'n some Eva Green in this one
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1992/Corrado VR6
      05-09-2012 12:37 PM #10
      Just read this over at Twitchfilm.net
      http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/h...-the-shark.php

HAVE YOUR SAY: WHEN DID TIM BURTON JUMP THE SHARK?

by Peter Martin, May 8, 2012 8:37 PM

COMEDY, HAVE YOUR SAY, HORROR, USA & CANADA

The arrival of Tim Burton's Dark Shadows in theatres this week fills me with dread -- and not the good kind.

When Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Burton's feature directorial debut, burst on the scene in 1985, it was a blast of fresh air, a kiddie tale cleverly targeted at the demented adolescent yearning of young adults. Burton followed that up with Beetlejuice in 1988, the first full-blown manifestation of what has become his signature style: dark fantasies leavened by childish humor and adorned in sumptuously colorful costumes and production design, accompanied by Danny Elfman, a master of minor-chord musical scoring.

To greater or lesser extent, Burton has been reworking the styles, themes, and jokes from Beetlejuice ever since. He rescued Batman from the memory of the 60s TV show, explored the moody depths of twisted suburbia in Edward Scissorhands, remained deeply unhappy with Batman Returns, produced the exceptional The Nightmare Before Christmas, honored the cinematic work ethic in Ed Wood, desecrated 50s sci-fi classics in Mars Attacks!, and plunged into his deepest approximation of true horror in Sleepy Hollow.

Those were all fine, fascinating, often memorable efforts, all made in the studio system and all worthy of revisits. But the turning point in his career seems to have come with his ill-fated remake of Planet of the Apes in 2001.

For all of his skills as a visual storyteller, Burton could not do much of anything with Planet. Lacking a compelling reason for the remake -- other than the studio's desire to exploit a popular property -- and perhaps affected by a rushed production schedule, this was the first of Burton's pictures that felt like a job for hire.

Throughout the decade following that disappointment, I've found it increasingly difficult to enjoy Burton's work. His visual style remains distinctly his own, but his films lack the sparkle and energy that marked his earlier efforts. The fantasy of Big Fish feels lackadaisical, the whimsy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory comes across in a forced manner, and even Corpse Bride failed to engage completely.

Sweeney Todd and Alice in Wonderland continued this downward trend, and advance word on Dark Shadows has not been encouraging. Circumstances prevented me from attending an advance screening last night, so dim hope still prevails, but I can't say I look forward to his films anymore; they feel increasingly like the work of a creatively exhausted director who keeps making movies because studios like the profits that he makes them.

But maybe that's just me. What do you think? Are you still on board with Tim Burton? Do you think his best work lies ahead? Or do you believe he's run out of tricks? Should he continue working with Johnny Depp? Have your say in the comments below.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 02:11 PM #11
      I can't say I completely (or even slightly) agree with that. I definitely think that Burton + Depp = Win.
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

12. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      05-09-2012 02:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by EK20 View Post
      I can't say I completely (or even slightly) agree with that. I definitely think that Burton + Depp = Win.
      Though I personally hate the Burton / Depp love affair, for some reason I want to see this movie. Probably because of the set/costume/make up. I love Sleepy Hollow strictly because of those reasons. I don't think watching it I have ever really followed the story/dialog.
      Th(e/a)n

13. 05-09-2012 07:26 PM #13
      Eva Green and I'm spent.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      05-10-2012 11:53 AM #14
      I can't wait to see this movie. I have my tickets for Friday night.

Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 12:50 PM #15
      I can't wait for tomorrow!
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-10-2012 12:55 PM #16
      Looks like it has the potential to be humorous and dark like Edward Scissorhands. If it turns out more like Sweeney Todd, I don't think I'll enjoy it as much.

Waiting for HBO or maybe on-demand.

17. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      05-11-2012 01:03 PM #17
      Saw this last night. It was pretty good. Not quite as dark as you might expect from Burton though.

And of course, I could watch Eva Green for hours.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      05-12-2012 08:15 PM #18
      I saw it this morning.

Depp played Barnabas too straight. Only a few chuckles. Most opportunities for humor were wasted.
      Burton & Depp already did creepy fish-out-of-water with Edward Scissorhands -- that was far superior.
      Plot holes the size of Montana -- the movie played like a collection of scenes, with no coherent storyline.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      05-13-2012 07:43 PM #19
      Just came back from watching this.........it was ok, I think Im tired of the whole Depp thing already, seems like every Burton film ends up being the same, Elfman doing the music, Depp as the main character, death everywhere, gloomy everything, just the same old thing film after film......
      Vamped Tuning! Scrappy Dubs!

20. 05-16-2012 08:33 AM #20
      La formula de pelicula basada en serie de TV, funciona. : Thumbup:

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      05-17-2012 04:47 PM #21
      I completely agree with that excerpt above. Burton hasn't made anything worth watching since Sleepy Hollow. We'll see if Frankenweenie lives up to the short made years ago, but I kind of doubt it.

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      05-17-2012 04:49 PM #22
      The only movie I'm less excited to watch than this is that one about a bunch of pregnant chicks whining, based on some book. This looked bad and I, too, am over Burton/Depp. Frankenweenie looks to be yet another in the same vein of every other movie he's ever done.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      05-17-2012 05:14 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo.T View Post
      The only movie I'm less excited to watch than this is that one about a bunch of pregnant chicks whining, based on some book. This looked bad and I, too, am over Burton/Depp. Frankenweenie looks to be yet another in the same vein of every other movie he's ever done.
      If given the choice I'd see the other one. At least Chris Rock is in it.

Vehicles
      2009 E90 M3
      05-17-2012 08:44 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Vamped View Post
      Just came back from watching this.........it was ok, I think Im tired of the whole Depp thing already, seems like every Burton film ends up being the same, Elfman doing the music, Depp as the main character, death everywhere, gloomy everything, just the same old thing film after film......
      The only bit of this repetitiveness I don't mind - at all - is Elfman. He's consistently awesome.

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      05-19-2012 05:21 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR View Post
      The only bit of this repetitiveness I don't mind - at all - is Elfman. He's consistently awesome.
      I totally agree, huge fan of Danny, but lets do something different, Dark Shadows was more of an old school soundtrack...........
      Vamped Tuning! Scrappy Dubs!

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 11:50 AM #26
      I finally saw Dark Shadows yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It really was a great movie. It really was all I was hoping it would be.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche