Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: Ok,i'm a pretty good trouble shooter but.....(ABA turbo content/c2/obd1)

    1. Member Daskoupe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2006
      Location
      941 frying pan
      Posts
      8,217
      Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      04-11-2012 09:50 PM #1
      First off car is obd 1 2.0 running c2 stage 2.

      Car ran great never lean,no issues.

      Then one day anything over 15psi its so lean it misfires.

      So being the technician i am i check some things out

      All ign components are new and OEM.Plugs are gapped right.
      According to the wideband car has plenty of fuel right up to 15psi.
      Now 15psi is where the boost takes off to 22 psi in about a second.I've always had the meth come in around here to keep if from leaning out.

      So i get back to the shop and go hey i know the ebay walbros arent the best(mine does say walbro on it and made in the usa so idk if its a knock off)

      Hook up a fuel pressure gauge.Fuel pressure on the stock fpr is around 35 at idle and 50 at WOT.
      Hmmm.

      At this point i know i was having a fuel issue more then a spark.

      I put in a 4.0bar and pressure were much higher.Idle was around 43psi and pegged my gauge out(60psi) at WOT.
      Now car runs,i mean runs(3rd,4th pull afr was 11.8 at 6600rpm!)But with the 4 bar its got some ****ty 3/4 throttle drivability other then thats its great.But i would like to know what caused me to have change my setup

      So is my pump ****ting the bed slowly?Because i have no clue otherwise

      PS:intake helper pump is new and properly attach to the fuel pick up.

      PPS:Also i have a 1.8t fuel filter pre walbro could that be an issue?

      PPPS : the pump is noisier some days then other.Does not matter on tank level

      and finally pic for click
      my last dyno
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

    2. Member GTijoejoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2001
      Location
      OH
      Posts
      6,977
      Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '13 Accord v6, '13 CBR500r, '14 Accord 4dr
      04-12-2012 02:02 PM #2
      once upon a time before all these ABA management tuners were around I ran a TT turbo chip (most dont even know these existed) on #30 injector setup. Running like 8psi never had a single issue for over 1000miles for months.... and than one day all of the suddent it wouldn't even run because it was so rich. When to dinner came back out and this was the issue upon driving home.

      I couldn't figure out what the problem was... took it to NGP and they couldn't figure out what the problem was... eventually I kept the chip, ran stock injectors and a BEFI FPR.... than the car ran again....

      The problem was always a mystery... some type of freak glitch.... we spend many weeks checking things but no cause was ever found. I hope this doestn' happen to you.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = Part out PM me for anything

    3. Member Daskoupe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2006
      Location
      941 frying pan
      Posts
      8,217
      Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      04-12-2012 03:58 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      once upon a time before all these ABA management tuners were around I ran a TT turbo chip (most dont even know these existed) on #30 injector setup. Running like 8psi never had a single issue for over 1000miles for months.... and than one day all of the suddent it wouldn't even run because it was so rich. When to dinner came back out and this was the issue upon driving home.

      I couldn't figure out what the problem was... took it to NGP and they couldn't figure out what the problem was... eventually I kept the chip, ran stock injectors and a BEFI FPR.... than the car ran again....

      The problem was always a mystery... some type of freak glitch.... we spend many weeks checking things but no cause was ever found. I hope this doestn' happen to you.
      thanks lol me too.I did make another engine harness(for looks mainly).So i'll put that in just because.But i know i've never changed the maf,so i might try and find a slightly newer one lol
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

    4. Member TheArtfulDubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 18th, 2004
      Location
      Brawltimore, Murderland
      Posts
      1,717
      Vehicles
      '90 Golf GL ABA-T, '03 Dakota, '07 Ducati Monster
      04-12-2012 04:07 PM #4
      Why is it spiking from 15 to 22 psi? What are you using for boost control?

    5. Member Daskoupe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2006
      Location
      941 frying pan
      Posts
      8,217
      Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      04-12-2012 05:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by TheArtfulDubber View Post
      Why is it spiking from 15 to 22 psi? What are you using for boost control?
      thats just went it really takes off(4400rpm then hits full boost at 4800).It hits 22 and holds like a champ
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

    6. Member TheArtfulDubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 18th, 2004
      Location
      Brawltimore, Murderland
      Posts
      1,717
      Vehicles
      '90 Golf GL ABA-T, '03 Dakota, '07 Ducati Monster
      04-12-2012 05:54 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Daskoupe View Post
      thats just went it really takes off(4400rpm then hits full boost at 4800).It hits 22 and holds like a champ
      Ah, gotcha. I read that as part of the symptoms. Carry on.

    7. Member masterqaz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2007
      Location
      Oakville Ont
      Posts
      2,758
      Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      04-12-2012 09:51 PM #7
      Fuel filter......

      Pumps do start to loose steam over time, working an older pump like that can cause issues like this. Wallys only help reduce load on the other pump.

      Filter first then check pumps.

      Also, bad seals on the Fpr can cause an internal bleed off back to the tank, Pressure and flow go hand in hand, Their are velosity/friction losses associated with higher flow rates but if its bleeding past to tank it can over work the pump trying to maintain the higher pressure. Kinda like a boost leak causes turbo over speeding and eventually a surge when it runs past the surge line. In your case fuel cut as the pump can no longer sustain and produce more flow rate to match the higher fuel requirement (pressure)
      Last edited by masterqaz; 04-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

    8. Member Daskoupe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2006
      Location
      941 frying pan
      Posts
      8,217
      Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      04-12-2012 10:10 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by masterqaz View Post
      Fuel filter......

      Pumps do start to loose steam over time, working an older pump like that can cause issues like this. Wallys only help reduce load on the other pump.

      Filter first then check pumps.

      Also, bad seals on the Fpr can cause an internal bleed off back to the tank, Pressure and flow go hand in hand, Their are velosity/friction losses associated with higher flow rates but if its bleeding past to tank it can over work the pump trying to maintain the higher pressure. Kinda like a boost leak causes turbo over speeding and eventually a surge when it runs past the surge line. In your case fuel cut as the pump can no longer sustain and produce more flow rate to match the higher fuel requirement (pressure)
      I'll try that
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

    9. Member Daskoupe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2006
      Location
      941 frying pan
      Posts
      8,217
      Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      05-16-2012 09:15 PM #9
      well updating this.
      The car is still running strong with the 4 bar.
      i changed to a mk3 2.0 filter,and that might have made difference or maybe the weather.
      But either way its now hold steady around 11.6 all the way to redline.So it does Seem to be a bit richer.
      Last edited by Daskoupe; 05-16-2012 at 09:17 PM.
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

    10. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      cincinnati,oh
      Posts
      196
      Vehicles
      81 jetta ABAT holset hy35 01 jetta 1.8t
      05-20-2012 01:13 PM #10
      i have had weird things like that happen to me. it almost seems like the ecu is adapting for the worst. usually when the pump gets louder it because the pump supplying it is not keeping up very well. ive noticed that when i turn up my fuel pressure my inline cis pump gets quiet because since it lowers the amount it can flow, the pump in the tank is able to keep up.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •